PDA

View Full Version : Packers close to hiring 49ers' assistant McCarthy

OMEN
01-12-2006, 02:31 PM
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers and Mike McCarthy were nearing a deal to make him their next head coach Wednesday night, a source involved in the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, expected the deal to be completed Thursday afternoon.
McCarthy, the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator, worked with Brett Favre as the Packers' quarterbacks coach in 1999 when the team went 8-8 under Ray Rhodes.

"I haven't heard anything official, other than what's been reported," said former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, considered Thompson's mentor.

Wolf, who retired in 2000, was still the team's general manager when McCarthy was on the coaching staff.

"I don't really remember that much about him," Wolf said. "I hate to say that. I know he was a good evaluator."

McCarthy, 42, was the New Orleans Saints' offensive coordinator from 2000-04 before going to San Francisco. The 49ers finished 4-12 this past season.

Thompson fired Mike Sherman Jan. 2 after the Packers' 4-12 season, the team's worst in 15 years.

Thompson also interviewed Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton, San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Jim Bates, the Packers' current defensive coordinator, spent about four hours interviewing with Thompson on Monday, and said he came away with the impression he was a serious candidate.

But Wednesday night, he told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that Thompson informed him he was out of the running. Bates was not available when The Associated Press called his office for comment.

Earlier, Bates said the Packers aren't that far from becoming a playoff contender again.

"Teams can climb back from the bottom to the top in a year, two years," Bates said Wednesday in a telephone interview from Green Bay. "We can be back there in a hurry. I'm not saying one year or two years, but it won't take long."

Associated press

If the Packers do hire McCarthy will Brett Fave return to the team or is he on his way into retirement and the HOF...

Teenwolf
01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure about that move. But the coaching talent is extreme low this year.

phoenixsplash
01-13-2006, 03:19 AM
strange choice. i think the niners are like 32 in offense, er something. they should of went looking for edwards, before KC snatched him up