PDA

View Full Version : World "Heavyweight" Champion

Assassin™
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
It wasn't long ago that Rey Mysterio was competing for the Cruiserweight belt. He hasn't gained any weight, but was awarded the Heavyweight championship. I realize that the moniker and dignity of that belt have dissolved since it was the undisputed NWA World Title, but WWE shouldn't still call it the Heavyweight Championship if they are going to let people the size of Rey compete for it.

King Placebo
05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
This will be a one off. The only reason they are giving rey the title is because of Eddie's death. I don't know how much times i can say it. Look at the way he went through winning it. Always "Dedicating" it to Eddie. I think it's still a real travesty the way he won it.

Metalring
05-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I dont know why people are complaining that Rey Rey is the World "Heavyweight" Champion.I guess you guys would rather have David Arquette hold the title than Rey,right?

Adam Copeland2
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
May be , for these ppl, Arnold Shwarzzeneggar will be a good WHC too, considering how they discriminate ppl for their size.

And about Rey only winning it 4 Eddie? Don't u ppl realize that b4 Eddie died, Rey Mysterio was beating the man match after match, and was going toe to toe with other big guys like Kurt Angle & Brock Lesnar !!!???

It seemed clear sine then that, one day, Rey wud win the world championship - whether the reign be a one night stand or a 1 year one. Eddie's death just sped up the process IMO.

Now I know since Rey's reign started, SD! has went downhill, but dats only coz of the absence of so many other good wrestlers, and coz Rey needs surgery on his knees. This disables him from busting his ass night after night and showing how good a champ he actually is. Personally, I think it was a just bad timing to let Rey have the championship.....nothing else.

Metalring
05-08-2006, 05:58 PM
It seemed clear sine then that, one day, Rey wud win the world championship - whether the reign be a one night stand or a 1 year one. Eddie's death just sped up the process IMO.

That's what I've been saying for a long time.Anybody that didnt see Rey winning either the WHC or WWE Championship doesnt watch wrestling closely enough.

Assassin™
05-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't have a problem with Rey winning the belt, I think has earned it through his years of hard work in the pro wrestling industry. His matches are almost always entertaining, and he has been getting huge pops from live audiences since his first appearance on WWE programming. What I am saying is that WWE should no longer call the belt the World Heavyweight Title if they are going to let a cruiserweight win it. I am not at all saying that Rey doesn't deserve to be in main events or hold the top title, it's just that WWE is contradicting themselves by letting someone his size hold the "Heavyweight" title

That Rob
05-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Personally I don't thik that the "heavyweight" part has anything to do with who holds it or not, the title just shows that the company has enough faith in you to have you carry them. Rey, maybe not a great choice the way he got the title but still a great champ and besides when is the last time you heard the announcer calling the World Heavyweight Title? Or the WWE Heavyweight Title? Not in a long time, they call it the World Title and the WWE title.

matt matt
05-09-2006, 01:21 AM
i hate how ppl say he won jus coz of eddies death it compleate BS he was peing pushed before the passing of eddie

cookie_dough_619
05-09-2006, 03:10 AM
I just call it the World Title....

I dont, nor have ever had a problem with Rey holding a top prize in the WWE. He's at veteran status and has been a damn good worker over the years. He was bound to win the title some day...

But his reign will be remembered as a dud.... the way he's been booked means he's doomed regardless. The whole 'underdog' champion is all good and well, but give him a chance. The only way I think his reign can be redeemed is if he 'destroys' JBL at Judgement Day.... which I doubt will happen.

Superkick Kid
05-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I hate to say it even though I'm a Shawn Michaels fan, he's not really what you would call a Heavyweight, yet he won the World Heavyweight Title back at Survivor Series in 2002.

The World Heavyweight Title is just a way of saying the WWE Title without actually saying it.

Assassin™
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
when is the last time you heard the announcer calling the World Heavyweight Title? Or the WWE Heavyweight Title? Not in a long time, they call it the World Title and the WWE title.
But the official name is the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. "World Title" is just easier to say.

I hate to say it even though I'm a Shawn Michaels fan, he's not really what you would call a Heavyweight, yet he won the World Heavyweight Title back at Survivor Series in 2002.

The World Heavyweight Title is just a way of saying the WWE Title without actually saying it.
I've pointed out that fact before. Back when the heavyweight title was defended on RAW, HBK was almost always in the mix and that worked out fine. It wasn't long ago that the little guys weren't getting much respect from Vince and other WWE executives, but now they give Rey the title. It's one thing to finally lighten up and realize that wrestling fans are entertained by smaller wrestlers, but it's another thing to give Rey the the Heavyweight title just because they feel sorry for him. Rey Mysterio does deserve a main event title, it just shouldn't be called the "Heavyweight" title if he is going to hold it.

If you look at boxing or MMA, fights that are in the light-heavyweight, lightweight, and welterweight divisions are the more entertaining fights. Rarely do you see a heavyweight fight that is the main event. There had been an age-old stigmatism in WCW and WWE that smaller wrestlers were just not as important and therefore did not even deserve the chance to be in a main event or hold the main event title. That was obvious just by having the main event title labeled as the "Heavyweight" title. Now that the view of smaller wrestlers has somewhat changed, the name of that belt should be changed.

TheFallenAngel
05-10-2006, 04:19 AM
The heavyweight part of the name is pretty much just for show. Really the only belt that should have any limits and probably does, is the CW title. I mean Chyna won a IC title, and Harvey Wippleman won the women's title, so that pretty much shows the "limits" are non exsistent.

LionDen
05-10-2006, 04:41 AM
IMO I still don't believe Rey should have been World Champion, he is just not right for it, he doesn't use the mike well, his size is a matter IMO but not to a great degree and he just doesnt seem to react to the crowd greatly or vise versa to him but in saying that, he has gotten it now, he will lose it soon and then we will all move on.

It is still good that they did give someone like Rey a break and get it, i have been a Rey fan for years but I still seee him as a cruiserweight and IMO that is where he shines the most.

OMEN
05-10-2006, 09:13 AM
The sad thing is on Smackdown everytime they seem to get a new champion then they pick up an injury or get suspended,I don't think that Rey would have been champ if Randy Orton was still active in the wwe,But with Kurt picking up another injury and Batista still not full back on the active roster there were not that many other choices for the management.
Rey has always been a great athlete and always managed to shine in the ring even with the super heavyweight opponents but i do agree that that it does not seem a good idea for him to be Heavyweight champion...He would be an awesome Intercontinental/US champ but just not World champ.

TheFallenAngel
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
The sad thing is on Smackdown everytime they seem to get a new champion then they pick up an injury or get suspended,I don't think that Rey would have been champ if Randy Orton was still active in the wwe

Rey basically got the title because Eddie died. If Eddie didn't die, Orton would have more than likely won the title and Rey would have never even been considered. So really it had nothing to do with Orton being suspended, the only thing that altered is that Mysterio will lose the title to someone else.

Assassin™
05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
The heavyweight part of the name is pretty much just for show.It is now, but it wasn't a few years back when the only people holding the belt were Hogan, Sting, Kevin Nash, and Goldberg. Obviously wrestling has change since then and smaller guys are finally being given more chances, but it just seems like the first thing that should have changed was the name of the belt and then the limit on what size wrestler could compete for it. WWE was and is still pretty strict on the CW belt. You're not going to see Big Show or The Great Kali going after it any time soon.

with Kurt picking up another injury and Batista still not full back on the active roster there were not that many other choices for the management.
JBL, Mark Henry, and The Undertaker were all available and are all actually heavyweights.

Megan
05-11-2006, 12:40 AM
yea well you kinda have a good point there they might as well call it the world title instead.

randrade
05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I agree!