PDA

View Full Version : Texans to name Kubiak coach

OMEN
01-14-2006, 02:13 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/01/13/texans.kubiak/p1.gary.kubiak.ap.jpg
Gary Kubiak has been Mike Shanahan's right-hand man for the past 11 seasons in Denver.
HOUSTON -- It appears Gary Kubiak will get a chance to coach in his hometown.

The Houston Chronicle is reporting that the longtime offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos will be named as the coach of the Houston Texans.

The announcement will be made after the Broncos' postseason run. Denver (13-3) will host the New England Patriots Saturday night in the divisional playoffs.

The Texans fired coach Dom Capers on Jan. 2, one day after finishing a 2-14 season with a loss at San Francisco, and own the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft.

That pick will be used on either Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush of Southern California or Texas quarterback Vince Young, who is a Houston native. If the Texans pick up their $8 million contract option on quarterback David Carr in March, then Bush will likely be the selection.

Kubiak has served the last 11 years as the Broncos' offensive coordinator under coach Mike Shanahan. This season, Denver ranked first in the AFC in rushing and fifth in offense.

Born in Houston, Kubiak starred at Texas A&M and served as a backup quarterback to John Elway in Denver from 1983-91, when Dan Reeves was the coach. The Texans hired Reeves as a consultant last month.

The sixth-winningest coach in NFL history with a record of 201-172-2, Reeves went to the Super Bowl three times with the Broncos and once with the Falcons.

Born in 2002, the Texans improved their win total each year from four to five to seven under Capers before crashing in 2005.

AP

The Crippler
01-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Damn, they took our offensive coordinator! Well I hope he does well there and it looks more like Reggie Bush could go to Houston because Kubiak likes to run the ball.

Teenwolf
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not trying to be rude towards Kubiak and all the other coaches, but damn the crop out there sucks baaaaaaaaaaad. Theres just no one out there who I would have to have. Hell that Patriots guy got the job in NY and he was only a coordinater one year. And they didn't do that great.

yankeesman77
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
good move for the texans to snag away Kubiak from the Broncos. Now that Kubiak is gone from the broncos there offensive production could go down dramatically.