PDA

View Full Version : Tna In Fayetteville, Nc Live Report: Samoa Joe Vs. Abyss, Cage Vs. Tomko

Black Widow
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
- Kaz vs. Petey Williams. I'm pretty sure this was the first match, as it was just after 8PM (advertised starting time) when we got to our seats. I could hear Petey's old music (not the "Definition of Definition" theme) playing as I was in line for a brewski. Strong effort by these two. The crowd ate up the several teases for the Canadian Destroyer, although it never happened. A few teases for the Wave of the Future, and one for the Flux Capacitor. Petey nailed his over-the-top rope rana to Kaz on the floor at one point, which looks very impressive in person. Kaz took a suprise victory with a roll-up cradle after a series of reversals.

- Rhino vs. Jimmy Rave w/Lance Rock. Rock & Rave Infection did not come out to their regular music, and no Hemme either. Rave did his intentional wrong city shtick, which got a few laughs from the crowd. During early stages of the match, Lance's interference became outright blatant. Instead of his actions causing a DQ, Rhino got on the mic and said he had a friend that would help him "kick some @ss." Out came...

- Rhino & SUPER ERIC vs. Rock & Rave Infection. Decent tag match (not enough double team moves for my tastes). Super E. teased the double DVD, but Lance slid off at the last second. Rhino scored the pin with the GORE (x 3) while Super E. hit the DVD on Rave.

- Awesome Kong vs. Taylor Wilde (c) for TNA Knockouts championship. Call me CRAZY, but Kong is somewhat cute in the face when she's not scowling. I know I'm in the minority there...anyway, Taylor came out to Song 2 by Blur, which kind of fit her in my opinion. Kong played the monster, Wilde was the scrappy underdog, and this match was very similar to how she won and then retained the Knockouts title. Wilde won with a roll up, which I believe came after she reversed Kong's attempt of an Implant Buster.

- Beer Money Inc. w/Ms. Jackie vs. LAX (c) for TNA Tag Team Championship. Storm got on the mic and worked the crowd. He turned to Roode and told him it was a good think he brought his forklift if he was going to pick up one of the "heffers" in the crowd. He basically called the crowd and North Carolina in general a bunch of losers, which got some good heat from the crowd. He even pulled a few sports references, calling the Tarheels choke artists and stating that DeShaun Foster may have gotten more yards if he ran behind a Tennessee Titans line (never mind the fact that the Panthers finally CUT his a** in the off-season). He is gold on the mic, I tell ya. Anyway, really good match. I love it when Storm yells, "BEER!" and Roode follows up with "MONEY!" It was great to see that live. I know a few of you guys would like to see the two of them flourish as singles competitors, but I really like the chemistry they have together. Hey, it worked for Rated RKO for a while, right? LAX hit most of their major spots, and Hernandez is a beast in person. LAX got the 3 count with the 5150. Besides the main event, this match received the loudest crowd reaction from where I sat.

INTERMISSION. By the way, Jeremy Borash was working the crowd all night, and pulled two local military troops in the ring, and led a USA chant. I'm pretty damn sure Don West was sitting at ringside all night. Kurt Angle also came out (before intermission) and put over the "home grown talent" in TNA. He expressed regret that he couldn't wrestle due to a neck injury (good for him), but he "guaranteed" that he'd be in the ring when TNA returns to Fayetteville next year. He also threw in that he told McMahon to kiss his a** when he left WWE, TNA will be kicking WWE's a** in a few years, and TNA is in 140 countries solely because of the fans.

Christian Cage vs. Tomko. Tomko garnered some cheap heat by grabbing the mic and saying to no one in particular, "I KNOW you didn't just say I suck!" The reaction was lukewarm, until Cage took the mic and ragged on Tomko even more. Right as the match started, Tomko did some Shane O' Mac type footwork, which I thought was hilarious. Good match. Tomko really looked like he was enjoying himself out there. Christian won with the Unprettier.

Out comes Samoa Joe for the main event, sans title (to continue the Booker T storyline). Surprise of the night (for me, anyway): Samoa Joe does a really funny Jim Cornette impression! He mocked Jim when explaining to the crowd that Booker has an arrangement where he does not have to face Joe until the PPV. Jim did promise Joe a sufficient replacement. Out comes...

Samoa Joe vs. Abyss. Abyss is huge. It's so much more impressive to see him move like he does when you see him perform in person. Very physical, stiff match. Towards the end, Abyss goes for the chair (?), which I found slightly disappointing since he is currently extremely apprehensive about using any weapons during the weekly episodes. No big deal for a house show, though. Swing and a miss for Abyss, Samoa Joe kicks the chair into Abyss' face, 1 - 2 - 3!

Joe then gets back on the mic and says instead of taking VIP holders backstage, backstage is going to come out to the crowd! Very nice gesture, although my in-law and I didn't stay (I'm not really big on autographs).

TNA put on a really good show, and we definitely enjoyed ourselves. I hope this wasn't too wordy, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. I'll be looking out for that PPV that J.B. suggested for the Fayetteville when TNA returns. I'd love to see a TNA show with a full-blown production staff on hand.