PDA

View Full Version : TNA Epics TV Report for May 29th, 2009; Slammiversary Matches

Kellie
05-30-2009, 08:53 AM
TNA Epics TV Report
Airing May 29th, 2009
Report by Niall Robb, F4Wonline.com

TNA Epics Week 3 – Slammiversary Matches

Opening video package plays. It answers my question from last week and is the same it seems.

“I’m the world’s most polite wrestler” Mick Foley says in his intro. This show’s theme is Slammivarsary matches. The matches that Mick Foley runs down tonight seem to be tag matches. In retrospect seeing how the seem to have to edit the weapon shots out, I can see why they do not include king of the mountain matches.

2006 Slammiversary America’s Most Wanted with Gail Kim vs AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels.

AJ runs wild at the beginning and then Tags in Daniels who hits a move and then immediately tags in AJ who then hits a move and immediately tags in Daniels. Harris gets the heat with an eye-poke. Harris works over the arm but Daniels reverses, has Harris on the mat and the drop toe holds Storm’s face into Harris’s crotch. Some more stuff happened. I lost track because I type too slow. Anyway, Ad Break.

TNA Epics is sponsored by The Wrestler on DVD; I liked the wrestler myself, but I heard so many great reviews that I went into the film expecting more than I got. I want to watch it again though to get a new perspective on it.

The match is edited I think to where Harris is on the top rope and AJ hits a Pele. This leads to a double down and what seems to be the end of the heat; if this is the case then a lot of this match was edited out – almost all of the heat!

Gail Kim interferes and AJ performs man on woman violence chucking her off the top rope. A random woman then enters the ring and gives a chokeslam to Gail Kim. I don’t know who she is so she probably doesn’t last. “I don’t know who she is!” Mike Tenay screams – is that not what commentators are there for, you know, to know stuff the fans don’t. One thing that annoys me is the editing on this show. For example at 10pm TNA edited a steel chair shot on Daniels. He then consequentially kicks out at two. AJ hit a flying forearm and inverted DDT on each of AMW. AJ Styles goes to the corner with Harris in the middle of the ring. He goes for the spinal tap but Harris moves. AJ kicks out of Harris’s shot with a pair of brass knuckles. The crowd at this show is very quiet and don’t really react to much. Daniels hits an angel wings but the other member of AMW hits the ref which resulted in no punishment. I don’t thnk that the ref was knocked out. Storm hit Harris with a beer bottle in one of those mistake spots. Styles then hits the frogsplash and Daniels hits the BME to win the tag titles.

We are the moved straight to the next match without pause.

2007 Slammiversary The Steiners (Rick Steiner and Road Warrior Animal) vs Team 3D

As Animal, who as I remember was a surprise, comes to the ring, the commentators react a lot more than the fans although they do react well. Andrew Thomas is the ref, I don’t know why I pointed it out but I just thought it was worth the note. Music plays and an edit occurs which leads to us missing part of the match; doesn’t bother me! This is the least fit looking four men I have seen in a ring in forever. The commentators make a Lauranitus and college football reference. I didn’t catch the reference but I got the name. Really, I am thinking of somewhere to start play by play type stuff but there is really nothing happening. 3D are tagging in and out and there is a sort-of hot tag. Animal runs wild but Brother Ray cuts him off. Animal hits a double lariat and then tags in Rick. Rick and Animal tease a doomsday device but get cut off. Team 3D hit a move (which I missed) and get the pin to keep their titles. This match seemed pretty short and the end seemed hasty perhaps due to editing or maybe simply due to the match itself.

Mick Foley tells us that the next match is Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles.

Slammiversay 2008 Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles

This match was good right? I remember that Kurt had a broken neck at this point. Tyson Tomko is on the outside – is this from the “Who will Tomko choose?” storyline? Kurt is tossed to the outside. Tomko looks upset at AJ’s dropkick on Kurt so it seems that it is not from that storyline. Kurt rakes the eyes of AJ and gets the heat. This match is the main event and although I said this last week it gives it 25 minutes to show the full match. Tomko is sent to the back by Earl Hebner and this is the distraction that allows Kurt to attack AJ behind his back. AJ hits a flip dive over the top rope from inside the ring onto Kurt on the outside who was arguing with the ref. A pin attempt leads to a one count; I don’t think that one counts are used enough I had more to say but it was hard to describe. Kurt works over AJ’s neck and back it appears. AJ gets a nose bleed from a headlock and works out of it, he runs of the ropes into a belly to belly suplex. We then go to the ad break where no doubt a huge edit will happen.

See? I was right! They are on the top rope exchanging punches and AJ counters a superplex or into a face plant. Mike Tenay called it a reversal of a “top rope superplex” is there any other type of superplex? Well, on top of a ladder I suppose. AJ and Kurt exchange two counts. Angle hits two german suplexes and AJ reverses a third into a release suplex which if Kurt did have a bad neck, he really took enough risks with it. Kurt hits AJ with a release suplex and AJ hits Angle with a pele kick. Angle reverses a move in the corner on AJ and hits a suplex and gets a two count and AJ hits a DDT in a reversal of an angle slam. The crowd is very quiet; it is not a boring match though. I’m not happy with the referee at the moment, Earl Hebner stops moving his hand before the wrestler kick out and it is not once it is repetitive. Kurt pulls his straps down and puts on the ankle lock. AJ rolls him up for a counter and a two count. AJ again hits a pele and Angle grabs the bottom rope. Styles clash is sloppily reversed into an ankle lock and AJ reverses it and Kurt bumps into the ref. Karen appears on the stage with a steel chair. It seems that Karen is the reason for the feud. Karen tries to give Kurt the chair but he refuses and AJ hits a styles clash on Kurt for the pin. Karen raises AJ’s hand and the match is over as is the show.