PDA

View Full Version : Boxing: Holyfield eases to comeback win

Dmac
08-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Holyfield eases to comeback win

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9555/holyfieldkp2.png (http://imageshack.us)

Evander Holyfield launched his comeback bid with a second-round stoppage of journeyman Jeremy Bates in Dallas.

The 43-year-old former undisputed heavyweight champion had Bates in trouble at the end of the first round before the bell sounded.

Holyfield continued his onslaught at the end of the second and the referee stepped in to stop the fight with just four seconds of the round remaining.

The American is hoping to claim an unprecedented fifth world title.

"I'm so glad to get the opportunity to get back in the ring and show the people that I wasn't not a boxing man because I'm old," said Holyfield.

"I was able to do the things that I haven't been able to do in five years. I was able to slip punches, I was able to use my foot speed, I was able to go in and out."

Holyfield was fighting for the first time since losing to Larry Donald in November 2004, a defeat that was so lacklustre that New York boxing officials revoked his licence.

He plans to have a title fight in 2007 and to have all the belts around his waist, "by the time that Olympics comes," in 2008.

Insurance salesman Bates, who now has a 21-12-1 record, had quit the ring before Holyfield came calling.

Credit - BBC Sport

kingofkings13
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I dont see Holyfield ever becoming champion again but since he has come back I think there is a possibility of Holyfield vs. Tyson 3.

ajs
08-26-2006, 02:56 AM
:box: Boxing Sux!!!! It Had A Gr8 Run Until The Ufc / Mma Came Out!!! Mma /ufc Was Bruce Lee's Dream!!!! I Would Fight Any... & I Do Mean Any Pro-boxer As Long As It's Mma Style !!!!!tyson Would Be My....b I T C H !!!!:laugh: :kicknuts: :dx:

Will
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I think the guy above me might have some issues that need to be looked into, but i agree with what seemed to be his main point. Boxing is dead. If people want to watch fake sport, then they can watch wrestling. They both have paper champions and 80 year old fighters, but atleast wrestling has half naked women.

Just KC
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
People seem to think boxing is dead, but it is coming back strong. it was dead when all the HeavyWeights disappeared(Ali,Tyson ect..)but NOW with the welterweight divison flaming up boxing is coming back.Floyd Mayweather is the Future of boxing, stars like Oscar De Lay Hoya,Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, Arturo Gatti, etc...are bringing boxing back. Although it does pain me to see Holyfield just trying to make a comeback cuz he was one of my favorites, but he should just leave after one more fight and give me one last memory :)