PDA

View Full Version : Favre leaning toward retiring

OMEN
01-31-2006, 01:38 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/01/30/bc.fbn.packers.favre.ap/p1_favre3.jpg
The 36-year-old Brett Favre said he feels fine physically this offseason.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said in an interview with ESPN that, although he has not yet made a decision on whether to play next season, he would say he was retiring if he had to make a decision now.

"I wish I knew," he said in an interview with Chris Mortensen that aired Sunday. "I still know I can play. I still love to play. But there's just so much more to it than that now. I never thought it would be complicated, never thought I would give out mentally before I did physically.

"If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

Favre, 36, threw a career-high 29 interceptions in 2005 and failed to throw for more than 20 touchdowns for only the second time since 1993 as the Packers finished 4-12 for their first losing season since he joined the team in 1992.

"There's days I wake up and say, 'You know what? I can't retire. Don't be stupid. What will I do?' " Favre said during the interview. "There's other days, I go, 'What if it's crunch time, 2 minutes left, do you want the ball?' I don't know if I do. If I was to come back and play, I would hope that I would be totally committed to the team because I've always been that type of player.

"We'd be down by 30 points and (then-Green Bay coach) Mike (Sherman) would go, 'I'm thinking about pulling you out.' And I'd go, 'No. We can win this game,' even if we couldn't. That's the way I've always played the game and I don't know if I can play it that way."

Favre said the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the National Football League draft and other offseason personnel matters.

"I'd like to wait till training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

The Packers' quarterback told ESPN he felt fine physically.

"I feel as good now as I did three or four years ago," he said. "My arm is as good today as it was 10 years ago."

Favre met last week with Packers general manager Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy and said he was honest about his mixed feelings.

"I love the team, I love the Packers, and it's not about me, it's about everyone involved and I want to make the right decision for everyone involved," he said.

Favre said he told Thompson that, if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said Sunday.

CNN

I cannot see Bret walking away from the NFL without one last shot at winning the Superbowl.It would be strange to see him playing for another team if he does not get another season at Green Bay..

yankeesman77
01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
the packers need to start focusing on the future aka arron rogers. I mean ahman green comes back the packers javon walker and donald driver also come back and brett farve just doesnt have it anymore.

Flair Country
02-01-2006, 04:18 AM
I respect him for not trying to hang on too long. Farve was a great QB and I am sure he'll be in the Hall of Fame someday, but he would do himself and the Green Bay Packers alot of good if he retired. It's time for him to do some commentary and get that TV money that is waiting for him out there, he has definitely diserved it.