PDA

View Full Version : Is UFC Slowly Killing Boxing?

Joe
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
The heavyweight title bout between Oleg Maskaev and Hasim Rahman two weeks ago got just 60,000 pay-per-view buys. Tonight's Ultimate Fighting Championship show, headlined by Chuck Liddell vs. Renato Sobral, will likely generate more than 500,000 buys. You see where we're going?

No headstone has been erected over boxing's grave, but UFC is holding a shovel and prepared to splash dirt on a casket.

"I can't even watch boxing now," Dana White, president of UFC, said recently. "I really can't - and I came from a boxing background. It literally bores me to death. I'd rather watch Power Rangers with the kids than watch boxing."

Of course he's going to say that. It's in his interest. But he's actually right.

Officials from the boxing end and their UFC counterparts carefully try to distance themselves from each other, but it'd be naive to not recognize the cause-effect relationship. The grandfathers still like boxing; the grandkids are flocking to UFC.

"I think it's wrong to compare the two. The similarity is that they're both unarmed combat. But that's it."

That's Marc Ratner talking, the former head of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, as respected during his time as anyone in boxing. He's a former opponent of unruly mixed-martial arts and now works under the UFC banner, lending the sport a lot of credibility. He's still a huge boxing fan but concedes:

"When old boxing fans pass away, there aren't new ones to take their place."

The old guard that runs boxing - the people who made it an exciting sport for many, many years - has been slow to adjust. They don't even recognize that the two might be somehow connected. Even if you want to believe that boxing fans aren't flocking to UFC, you have to recognize that young people who might have been boxing fans 20 years ago are instead buying tonight's UFC pay-per-view show.

Credit UFC.com

For me i feel that when i watch boxing which i rarely do but i have recently that i cant watch it for too long. I find myself thinking about submissions and take downs etc and just get bored with boxing.UFC fanbase is growing rapidly and i feel is taking over from Boxing and has more appeal.I just wanted some views from UFC and Boxing fans on what u feel about this transition that seems to be taking place.For me MMA is the evoltuion of Boxing but thats just my opinion and yeah maybe if Boxing was Mainstream it would have a bigger fanbase but i just see UFC taking it over

Just KC
09-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Well IMO its not killing boxing, it is just more popular. Its not taking boxing fans away from boxing(in most cases) It just has many "new" fans while boxing is oldschool and not many younger viewers really kno much about it. But like stated in the thread, when the fans pass on there is no new fans to take its place., and this may also happen to UFC gets older and something new comes up, it might be the same story. So the question should be is UFC more popular than boxing? which its is, there is no denying it

Joe
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah good point it could just be a popularity thing between UFC and boxing but with little interest in Boxing and greater interest in UFC wont that take away advertiing and money from Boxing if it gets less PPV buyrates etc

Just KC
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Well they do most of their advertizing on ESPN classics during a break from a fight so they prolly dont need much lol. But one person in particular, FLoyd Mayweather can very well bring excitment back to the sport when he faces Oscar De La Hoya in May because IMO the world will be watching that fight.to an older generation this fight compares to like an Ali/Tyson match. an d when Floyd and Oscar meet people are going to be like Holy SHIT! and they are going to want to see more.

Joe
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
lol i knew you would talk about Floyd sooner or later,i have lost interest in boxing but id pay to watch Hatton-Mayweather.I havent seen Floyd fight and acording to u hes a GOD and Ricky haton is a legend in uk so would be a great fight

Just KC
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
The 1st UFC fight i saw was Chuck Liddel vs Randy Courtre(SP?) and that was like like OMG lol, so thats what got me into UFC and i expect this fight to do the same for boxing. and Yes Floyd Vs Hatton is my dream match. Hatton is the number 2 pound for pund fighter while Floyd is number 1 and they have a heated rivalry(Not in ring) they are both undefeated. it makes me feel good inside thinking about that fight lol

Telemikis
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
How would you feel if Floyd got himself some submission skillz and entered the UFC ?

Just KC
09-05-2006, 02:51 AM
I would feel bad for the UFC fighters they would shit themselves

Joe
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
LMAO, reality Check KC. Just cause hes a boxer doesn not mean he would do well in UFC, he would get destroyed and so would anyone else who didnt put years of training into MMA

Just KC
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I was being sarcastic lol

Joe
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
lol i know u were, i aint that stupid