PDA

View Full Version : Bonnar Tests Positive, Faces Suspension and Fine

Will
09-10-2006, 04:21 AM
The following is a new article from UFC.com

On Wednesday, a complaint was filed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission against light heavyweight contender Stephan Bonnar, citing a positive test result for the banned substance Boldenone.

Bonnar was tested after his three round decision loss to Forrest Griffin at UFC 62 on August 26th. Boldenone is an anabolic agent which was also one of the substances former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett tested positive for after his title-winning effort over Randy Couture in March of 2002. Barnett was subsequently stripped of his title by the UFC and suspended by the NSAC.

“Obviously, we need to wait and hear Stephan’s side of the story, but the UFC wholeheartedly supports the commission’s continuing efforts to keep this sport clean and to protect the athletes,” said UFC President Dana White. “I hope this is the type of news we never have to hear again in professional sports.”

Bonnar has until September 26th to respond to or dispute this complaint in writing, and then a disciplinary hearing will be set. Bonnar faces a fine and suspension from the NSAC.

Swinny
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
That really sucks, Bonnar was a great fighter who had a bright future ahead of him, and now that all could be ruined.

Joe
09-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah i dont know the circumstances of they ended up in his system but this could really damage his career and i hope it Doesnt, he was a great fighter

Will
09-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah i dont know the circumstances of they ended up in his system but this could really damage his career and i hope it Doesnt, he was a great fighter

Boldenone is an animal steroid that is usually used in Horses and cows and can not be legally obtained through anyone except a Vetenarian, so it isnt very likely he could have accidentally taken some. I dont think it matters what he says anyway. Its very important to the UFC to be taken seriously as a sport, so he will be suspeded and fined. He has enough talent to eventually make a comeback, but this will definately be a big test for him to overcome.

Joe
09-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah with how his last few matches hes had and lost this is not exactly what he needs right now but looks like his own fault and its a shame to see it happen but i expect he will be suspended

Will
09-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Dana White recently answered a question about Bonnar and this is what he had to say:

Q: Popular and successful fighter Stephan Bonnar recently tested positive for Boldenone, an anabolic steroid normally used by veterinarians. Does that make you think that there are more users in the UFC?
A: No, because these guys test. And it’s just a bummer. I don’t know what happened yet. It’s very disappointing. But I’m going to help him however I can. I don’t want his life to go down the tubes because he made a mistake.