PDA

View Full Version : Leornard "Mr Spock" Nimoy passes away at 83

LionDen
02-28-2015, 12:52 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/410724-3x4-340x453.jpg

Actor Leonard Nimoy, who won a worldwide fan base as the pointy-eared half-human, half-Vulcan Mr Spock in the Star Trek television and film franchise, has died at age 83.

Nimoy, who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, died at his home in Los Angeles.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed the death to the New York Times. A private memorial service was being planned.

An outpouring of grief on social media has paid tribute to the man considered by many to be a geek idol.

Nimoy's Star Trek co-star William Shatner, who played hot-headed Captain James T Kirk, said he would miss the man he loved "like a brother".

"We will all miss his humour, his talent, and his capacity to love," Shatner said on Twitter.

Fellow co-star George Takei, who played Mr Sulu, posted his heartfelt tribute to Facebook.

"Today, the world lost a great man, and I lost a great friend," Takei posted to his public Facebook page.

"We return you now to the stars, Leonard. You taught us to 'live long and prosper', and you indeed did, friend. I shall miss you in so many, many ways."

Nimoy began his acting career at the age of 18, winning a sprinkling of small parts in 1950s television series, before landing the iconic role of Mr Spock in Star Trek in 1966.

Aboard the spaceship USS Enterprise, science officer Spock and his crew ventured around the galaxy exploring new worlds in death-defying odysseys.

The character Spock would be resurrected for several feature films after Star Trek snowballed into a cultural phenomenon in the 1970s and 1980s, making Spock's Vulcan salute and salutation "live long and prosper" a touchstone of the science-fiction world.

Nimoy would later reveal he based the hand gesture on a Jewish blessing.

US president Barack Obama said he "loved Spock".

"In 2007, I had the chance to meet Leonard in person. It was only logical to greet him with the Vulcan salute, the universal sign for 'Live long and prosper'," Mr Obama said.

"And after 83 years on this planet – and on his visits to many others – it's clear Leonard Nimoy did just that."

In addition to acting, Nimoy was an accomplished director, directing two of the Star Trek films and 1987 box-office hit Three Men and a Baby starring Tom Selleck.

Last year, he disclosed on Twitter that he had been diagnosed with COPD, a progressive lung disease.

"I quit smoking 30 years ago. Not soon enough," he tweeted to his 810,000 followers. "Grandpa says, quit now!!"

UOWForums would like to send its condolences to Leonard Nimoys family, friends and fans.

LG
02-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Rip

LionDen
02-28-2015, 01:04 AM
I have to admit, this really saddens me. Not only am I a huge Trekkie and have every episode of every Star Trek franchise, I grew up on Nimoy. From Star Trek to Ancient Msteries (loved that show) and beyond with all his guest appearances, making me especially laugh on The Big Bang Theory. A iconic voice, loved science fiction and a wonderment of the weird, bizarre and mysterious.

He will truly be missed.

R.I.P Live long and prosper.