PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tice Fired!

Appels
01-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Tice tossed overboard

Mike Tice's tenure was mostly marked by scandals, including a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanour charges against four players.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago.

Owner Zygi Wilf announced he would not renew Tice's contract in a statement less than an hour after the Vikings' 34-10 win over the Bears in the regular season finale. Tice, who finished his fourth full season with a 32-32 overall record, had already addressed the media before the move was made public. The announcement came via press release after most players had left the Metrodome.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said of what he called an emotional meeting with Wilf.

The timing of the move and the means by which it was delivered stunned the few players still at the Dome.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals, with a $100,000 US fine levied last summer against him by the league for scalping his Super Bowl tickets, and a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanour charges against four players.

After starting 2-5, the Vikings won six straight before losing two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

The owner was gone when the statement was issued to media in the locker room and he scheduled a news conference for Monday.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read the statement at his locker.

"In the locker-room? Right after a game you just won?" Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday to enjoy the win, at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde Moore also tersely declined to comment.

Wilf said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m. CDT, the release was issued.

When asked about his mind-set after Minnesota's 34-10 victory over the Bears, Tice said the situation weighed on him as he contemplated 13 years with the organization. He progressed from a tight end in 1992 to offensive line coach to head coach.

"Of course it did, I'm a human being, a man," Tice said. "I've been here since '92 ... I've poured a lot of energy into this program."

OMEN
01-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I do not think that this has come as any major shock as the Vikings have really struggled all season and many have fans have blamed Mike Tice.The thing is that the Vikings have not really been right over the last couple of years and hopefully a new coach will get the team back to where it feels it belongs,reaching the playoffs at least.
Whoever takes over as head coach is going to have a whole lot of personel issues to sort out starting with the decision on next years starting QB.All this year dante culpepper has struggled behind centre and it may be like Randy moss that his time as a Viking has come to an end.

Voodoo
01-02-2006, 11:18 PM
He didnt deserve it, his team was in shambles and they made a comeback to a winning record. They continued to fight instead of giving up, you gotta respect a coach who can get his players to give their all when it seems that all is lost.