PDA

View Full Version : American skater Hedrick strikes gold in 5000 meters

OMEN
02-11-2006, 11:17 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/olympics/2006/02/11/bc.oly.speedskating.5000.ap/p1_021106_hedrick_ap.jpg
Three days ago, Chad Hedrick said: "I don't expect to walk away with anything less than a gold medal.
TURIN, Italy (AP) -- Chad Hedrick backed up one prediction and offered another.

"I didn't come here to win one gold medal," the mouthy speedskater from Texas said after winning the 5,000 meters Saturday. "You're going to see my face a lot more."

Hedrick is off to a smashing start in his bid to equal Eric Heiden's record five gold medals at a Winter Olympics. He covered the grueling 121/2 laps in 6 minutes, 14.68 seconds, about 17 hours after marching in the opening ceremony.

Three days ago, Hedrick had said, "I don't expect to walk away with anything less than a gold medal." His confidence was justified, having won world championships in the 5,000 the last two years.

So eager was Hedrick to take the medals podium that he stepped onto the top spot even before the announcer could get out his name. Breaking into a wide, toothy smile, he shook hands with silver medalist Sven Kramer of the Netherlands and Italian bronze medalist Enrico Fabris -- who won the host country's first medal -- then thrust his bouquet into the air.

Hedrick will have to be more patient about wearing his gold: The medals will be presented Sunday at a ceremony in downtown Turin, where he expects to be a frequent visitor.

But before he skated in his Olympic debut, Hedrick had to gain control of his own emotions, seeking refuge in hugs from his coach and family members in the stands.

"I sort of felt like a sissy," he said.

"All the thoughts you go through before the race are much harder than during the race," he added.

Hedrick has some time before he has to do it again in the 1,000 next Saturday. He'll also be part of the new team pursuit, with preliminaries starting Wednesday.

"This is going to give me confidence to do the next race," he said. "The more fun I have, the better I perform. I'm ready to go."

Hedrick took a few gulps of air at the starting line, and after a puff of smoke rose from the starting gun, he clattered into the first turn from the outside lane.

With his mouth hanging wide open, Hedrick glided into first place after 31/2 laps. He soon opened up a huge gap between himself and Bob de Jong of the Netherlands. At one point, Hedrick was nearly at the opposite end of the straightaway from De Jong.

Although other skaters complained about the slow conditions, Hedrick embraced the soft ice. He fully knew what to expect after competing in a World Cup meet here in December.

"It really works in my advantage when I have ice this slow," he said.

As first lady Laura Bush and daughter Barbara cheered him, Hedrick crossed the finish line. He pumped his right fist and yelled "Whoo!" on his cool-down lap. The predominantly orange-clad Dutch crowd applauded him and tossed Hedrick an orange cap.

"I was so excited to see Chad win," Bush said. "He's from Houston."

Kramer finished second in 6:16.40.

"I was running on empty," he said.

Fabris, skating in the final pair, delighted the hometown fans by claiming third in 6:18.25. He was 16th in the 5,000 four years ago after starting his career as a short track skater.

"This is the Olympic Games and this is Italy," he said. "I took all my strength in my body and I did it."

Hedrick had mentally circled Feb. 11 on his calendar each year since he switched from inline skating to the ice after the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.

The date was significant because Saturday marked the 13th anniversary of his grandmother's death from brain cancer. Geraldine Hedrick was her grandson's best friend while he was growing up in Spring, Texas, as the son of a roller rink owner. He had said Saturday's race would be for her.

"Someone was looking down on me today, so we made it really special," he said. "I'm really proud."

Americans Shani Davis and KC Boutiette finished seventh and 19th, respectively.

The race went off without defending champion Jochem Uytdehaage, who didn't make the Dutch team. American Derek Parra, the 2002 silver medalist, didn't qualify in the event.

The 5,000 was one of the most wide-open speedskating events in these games, with the world record having changed hands three times over six days in November.

Hedrick, Eskil Ervik of Norway and Kramer took turns lowering the mark. Ervik set a new standard during a meet in Calgary, only to see Hedrick take it back with a faster time in the next pair. The following weekend, Kramer broke Hedrick's record by nearly a second.

Ervik wound up 10th among 28 skaters Saturday.

Associated Press.

LionDen
02-12-2006, 12:32 PM
This cocky son of a bitch sounds like the one to beat.