PDA

View Full Version : Black Caps have surprises in store

OMEN
02-22-2006, 01:03 AM
New Zealand are tight-lipped on what "eyebrow-raisers" they have in store for today's second one-day international against the West Indies in Queenstown, but Stephen Fleming has hinted at a significant one later in the series.

The New Zealand captain suggested batting changes driven by coach John Bracewell to iron out complacency and create depth might include a spell in the middle order for the skipper.

"I know what I can do at the top, so developing other skills at three, four and five is something we may see during the series," he said. "It's the same with Lou Vincent, he might get a go down the order. We've got to be careful we don't get too funky in this series, but there are areas with these players that we need to explore."

While Fleming was open to a switch, he seemed far less comfortable about the process of putting experimentation before results, especially when the five-match series is only one match old.

Vincent was given a wakeup call in Wellington when he was dropped for either Nathan Astle or Jamie How, and as each day passes the selectors' plan for the series has become clearer.

Concerned by the rate the side has regressed over the past 12 months, they have decided to give the foundations a shake, believing that despite whatever tricks they try they will still have the wood on the Windies. Fleming has the difficult job of trying to marry experimentation with victory, something he conceded yesterday was possibly in the best interests of the side but not him.

"I've got to drive winning performances, otherwise my neck – along with everybody else's – goes on the line. I'm very aware we've got to maintain the winning of the series but we believe we've got the best players in the country in the squad and it's how we use them at given times.

"From my point of view it's not (ideal), but I think John and the selectors are looking at the longer term to grow and develop guys," Fleming said.

"That's not my concern, mine is to win games with the team I'm given. While we are doing that, it is fine, there is certainly a lot of pressure on and it's not necessarily comfortable, but it's part and parcel of growing this side."

Fleming was guarded on what changes, if any, were in store today, though one may be forced as Central Districts pace bowler Michael Mason struggles with back stiffness.

The big question is which top order batsmen will miss out, with either Jamie How or Nathan Astle possibly having to make way for Vincent. Bracewell said this week that How was always going to play in Wellington and it was a toss-up between Astle and Vincent.

However, Astle is showing signs of his best form again and it is hard to believe that How's position in the side is all of sudden sacred after he was asked to carry the drinks in the previous outing against Sri Lanka.

Fleming said he could not speculate on Vincent's prospects till he had talked with Bracewell and vice-captain Daniel Vettori, but he did promise another purposeful performance.

He said the aim was once again to be only a couple of wickets down at the 40-over mark, allowing them to introduce their hitters, "Brendon McCullum and James Franklin".

"We want to keep the West Indies out of the game and play good cricket ourselves. We are very aware about what it is like touring when you are under the hammer, it becomes a very tough place."

West Indies captain Shivnarine Chanderpaul hoped for an improved performance from much the same team as the one that lost by 81 runs in Wellington. Key allrounder Dwayne Bravo remains sidelined with a side strain.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/images/masthead/dominionpost.gif