PDA

View Full Version : Astros' Lidge Wants to Close Book on '05

W-OLF
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Astros' Lidge Wants to Close Book on '05

Published: 2/25/06, 12:26 PM EDT
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) - Houston Astros closer Brad Lidge is done answering the questions. Yes, he feels bad about allowing two game-winning home runs in last year's playoffs - one in Game 5 of the NLCS, the other in Game 2 of the World Series. And no, he hasn't forgotten the single Jermaine Dye hit against him to clinch the World Series for the Chicago White Sox in Game 4.

No, he hasn't sought professional help. And no, he didn't spend the winter sadly poring over the fateful pitches.

Yes, his confidence is fine and if those situations arise again, he would love to have the ball in his hand.

If anyone asks again, Lidge will politely say he's moved on, looking toward the 2006 season, and the person asking should do the same.

"I've always felt like I'd answer everybody's questions until I thought the issue had run its course," Lidge said. "At some point, I have to turn the page, and everybody else does, too."

Lidge saved 42 games in 2005, a career high and the second-best season total in Astros history. He struck out 103, best among relievers, and saved nine games in September, a team record.

For now, though, his name is linked not to a great season, but to a pair of memorable postseason home runs:

_Albert Pujols' two-out, three-run blast at Minute Maid Park that kept St. Louis alive in the NLCS. Lidge had the Astros a strike away from the World Series, then hung a slider.

_Scott Podsednik's solo shot in Chicago that put the White Sox up 2-0 in the World Series. Podsednik hadn't homered in 507 regular-season at-bats, but hammered what Lidge thought was a decent fastball.

Of course, Lidge remembers. But he also remembers the three straight playoff games he saved before Pujols' homer, striking out the side in his first All-Star game and earning saves in 24 consecutive appearances last summer, a team record.

"Last year was an incredible year for me," Lidge said. "The last week of the season was not what I wanted. The year, as a whole, made me really happy."

Not long after the White Sox swept the Astros, Lidge drove home to Englewood, Colo., and didn't touch a baseball until Jan. 2. He toured England and Scotland with wife Lindsay and their 1-year-old daughter Avery, then went to the Caribbean island of St. Lucia for his sister's wedding.

Even after the jarring losses, he changed nothing in his offseason schedule. He always plans a trip to Europe in the fall and escapes from baseball until the start of the new year.

"As soon as the last game is played, whatever game that is, I stick to that routine," Lidge said.

He accepted an invitation to compete in the World Baseball Classic and arrived at Astros camp ready for a new season and a new pitch - a split-finger fastball to go with his straight fastball and hard slider.

As spring training began, Lidge answered questions about the '05 postseason one more time, then imposed a personal gag order on the subject.

"I don't feel like I have anything to prove," he said. "The only thing I'm concerned with is what my teammates think, and I don't have anything to prove to them."

In fact, they still want him pitching at the end of a tight game.

"As soon as he gave up that home run to Pujols, every guy in that clubhouse wanted him on the mound the next night," infielder Mike Lamb said. "Everybody is confident with him out there."

Last year's postseason won't keep the coaching staff from calling on Lidge, either.

"That might as well have been 100 years ago," pitching coach Jim Hickey said. "I have no concerns whatsoever that this will have any effect on Brad at all, other than a positive one. It'll make him even better, make him even stronger. He's so strong mentally, he'll use it to his advantage."
Credit BellSouth