PDA

View Full Version : Ballack rejects Chelsea deal claim

bad_meetz_evil
02-28-2006, 02:52 PM
BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- Germany captain Michael Ballack has refuted a British newspaper claim on Tuesday that he has signed a four-year deal worth 25 million pounds ($43m) to join Chelsea next season.

The Bayern Munich midfielder, in Florence for Wednesday's World Cup warm-up game against Italy, issued a statement through German FA spokesman Harald Stenger.

"I have not signed anything and I was also not in London," said the 29-year-old Ballack.

The Mail said that Ballack, who joined Bayern after helping Bayer Leverkusen reach the 2002 Champions League final against Real Madrid, met Chelsea officials, including manager Jose Mourinho, twice last month in London.

Although Mourinho generally steers away from signing superstar players, the lure of Ballack, one of the most complete midfielders in the game, could well be enough for him to bend that policy.

Earlier this season Ballack had an offer from Bayern for a four-year contract worth a reported total of 36 million euros ($42.65 million).

It would have been the most lucrative deal in Bundesliga history.

The club withdrew the offer in November after Ballack failed to meet their deadline.

Bayern still hope to persuade Ballack to sign a new deal but have said on different terms to the previous offer they tore up in anger over his failure to make up his mind.

They are aware they will receive nothing for him if he moves on a Bosman free transfer once his deal expires in July.

Ballack, Germany's Player of the Year in 2005, has long hinted he would like to spend the next segment of his career abroad with a team capable of winning the Champions League.

The teams that reportedly have been in the running for his services have included Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus.

hbk=god
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I hope Man U sign Ballack. He will be perfect to replace Keane.
And now even Smith is injured...