PDA

View Full Version : Houston GM leaves options open; Titans want QB

OMEN
03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly would not rule out trading the No. 1 pick in the draft to try to improve his 2-14 team.

Casserly named three players as standing above the rest: Quarterbacks Vince Young from Texas and Matt Leinart from USC and all-purpose back Reggie Bush, also from USC. Most analysts believe the Texans will take the multitalented Bush.
But Casserly left several possibilities open, including trading the pick.

"We need a lot of things," he said. "I think we've got a nucleus. I don't think we're as bad as our record, but we're not a playoff team. We can make a jump here if things are hit right between free agency and the draft."

He also addressed rumors Sunday at the NFL Combine that Young got just six of 50 questions right on the Wonderlic test given to potential NFL players at the combine.

The Wonderlic test grades intelligence and speed of thought. Young's score would have been one of the worst scores in history. An NFL spokesman said scores don't even come out until a week after the combine. Casserly said he's been told the score is inaccurate.
Titans Looking At QBs

Tennessee Titans have the third overall pick and are looking at quarterbacks with Steve McNair nearing retirement. Coach Jeff Fisher put Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler in the mix with Leinart and Young.

Former USC offensive coordinator Norman Chow is now in the same position with the Titans, but Fisher wouldn't say whether that put Leinart at the top of his list.

"For obvious reasons, people think it would be a natural fit," Fisher said. "We'll just have to wait and see."

Leinart and Young didn't work out at the combine, but the less-publicized Cutler felt he needed to in order to make a push.

"There's a little attention and stress, but we're here to do our testing, and we've just got to go out and do it," Cutler said before an interview with a team. "I'm just thankful to be here right now."

Fisher said it's important for players to show their skills at the combine.

"I think it's just an additional opportunity to showcase your ability," he said. "All of us here, we see this as an extended job interview period that started when the season ended, all the way up to the draft. This is an additional opportunity to work out."

Associated Press.

digitalv
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
yea, I heard about the Texans shopping that #1 pick, didnt find out who though.

Titans I knew would say something about QB. Leinhart is a good fit because he knows the schemes but Young is the better fit because he is more similar to McNair's style than Leinhart is.