PDA

View Full Version : Safin returns in impressive style

bad_meetz_evil
03-01-2006, 07:19 AM
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (Reuters) -- Russia's Marat Safin made an impressive return from a six-month injury layoff on Tuesday when he beat compatriot Nikolay Davydenko 4-6 6-2 6-2 in the first round of the Dubai Open.

Safin had not played since August when a knee ligament tear he suffered at Wimbledon became too painful for him to continue.

Roger Federer began the defence of his title with a 7-6 6-3 win over Swiss compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka later on Tuesday.

It was Federer's first match since winning the Australian Open and he had to work hard for his victory against an opponent who rallied well, made few unforced errors, and changed the pace to good effect.

Both players needed to resist a pair of break points in the middle of the first set, before Federer took the tiebreak 7-3.

In the second set, seven of the nine games went against serve, with Federer holding for 3-2 and 6-3, but despite being put under pressure the world number one said he was not surprised.

"I knew exactly what to expect," said Federer. "I played practice sets with him three or four days ago. I know him pretty well and he knows my game too.

"I thought my game was coming and going. My serve wasn't that great in the beginning and then I really got a high percentage going and then it left me again.

He was joined in the second round by number two seed Rafael Nadal, who was stretched by Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu before winning 6-7 6-1 6-2.

The Spanish teenager received a walkover into the quarterfinals after his next opponent, Younes El Aynaoui of Morocco, withdrew from the tournament for personal reasons.

Big surprise
"I didn't expect to win. It was a big surprise," Safin told reporters after his victory over the world number five Davydenko.

"Especially with the draw, I couldn't really think I would make even a set. I was coming out to play a few games and make sure I was moving okay and get back the rhythm."

Now ranked 53, the former world number one made a positive start, holding a break point in the second game that third seed Davydenko saved with an ace.

A double-fault from Safin gave his fellow Russian a break for 3-2 and Safin failed to convert three more break points as Davydenko served out the set.

"The first set I thought I had no chance whatsoever, even though I had break points, because I couldn't see the ball," said Safin. "I was lost on the court, basically.

"Everything was coming really fast. It was difficult to find when I have to go to the net, when to pressure, stay back. You lose this feeling a little bit, and everything was a little bit uncomfortable."

Things improved rapidly in the second set and Safin broke to lead 2-0 with a forehand winner.

He was able to fight off three break points at 3-1, two of them with aces, and he levelled the match by breaking again at 5-2.

Hitting his forehand well and ending with 10 aces, Safin always looked the more comfortable player in the final set.

Davydenko appeared unlikely to recover after he was broken to love in the second game and Safin closed out the match by breaking again with a strong forehand winner.

"I still have a little bit of pain," Safin said. "But it's not the same pain as it used to be and I can move without any problems.

"I'm just a little bit scared because it's difficult to reach some balls. You don't really want to run because it's still in your head that some movements that I made were really hurting me a year ago.

"So it's psychologically tough rather than physically."