PDA

View Full Version : NSAC Hands Down Fine, Suspension on Bonnar

Will
11-16-2006, 07:05 AM
UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar was suspended nine months and fined $5,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Friday after the Chicago-based fighter tested positive for anabolic steroids following a decision loss to Forrest Griffin (Pictures) in August.

The 29-year-old mixed martial artist rose to prominence in April 2005 when he brawled for three rounds with Griffin on the finale of Spike TV's reality television program The Ultimate Fighter. Heading into August's anticipated rematch, Bonnar, who lost the first encounter by unanimous decision, was 3-2 in UFC competition.

The five-member NSAC ruled Bonnar's suspension was retroactive to the August bout, and the popular fighter would be eligible to return to the Octagon in May of 2007.

Credit: Sherdog.com

Bonnar is still young so thats not too bad of a punishment, but he is coming off back to back losses so this is probably the last thing that he needed at this point in his career. The thing that I found most interesting is that his suspension is over twice what Sylvia got in 2003 for the same thing. I guess the Commission is getting more strict with the growing trend of fighters using steroids.

Telemikis
11-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I think what annoys me most about the whole thing is that he still lost even on roids.