PDA

View Full Version : Symonds fit for the fight

OMEN
03-09-2006, 01:09 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5120182,00.jpg
Felling good ... Symonds knows he'll get the all-clear.
AUSTRALIA is expects to be at full strength for tomorrow's pivotal limited-overs clash with South Africa in Durban after Andrew Symonds trained strongly overnight.
The Queensland all rounder has missed the opening three games of the five-match series with a thigh muscle injury.

"I haven't been given the all-clear but it's progressing nicely," Symonds said at the Newlands ground.

"It's not sort of pulling like it was and it didn't feel like it was going to go again or anything."

Symonds was also named in Australia's 14-man Test squad this week for three-match series starting in Cape Town next week.

That, he said, was a major factor in team physio Errol Alcott's cautious approach to the middle-order batsman's return to the limited-overs side.

"I had to be careful because if I did it again that would have probably been the end of my tour," Symonds revealed.

"So I have been slightly frustrated, you might say."

Symonds said he would have another fitness session in the pool tonight (AEDT) before a final decision was made on his inclusion in the team.

Australia's 24-run win on Monday in Port Elizabeth kept the series alive after Graeme Smith's Proteas dominated the opening two matches.

The return of Ricky Ponting from a stomach injury for the third game gave Australia a much stronger look and the skipper top-scored with 62.

"He's probably the best batter in the world at the moment. He sort of creates an aura around that Australian side as well," South Africa wicketkeeper Mark Boucher said.

"You can see when he is out on the field, when he's in charge, the guys are really up for a game.

"To lose a player like him must have been a big blow for (Australia).

"We certainly know what it feels like. We lost a couple of players when we were in Australia.

"He's a world-class performer and a definite danger-man in their side."

NewsAU