PDA

View Full Version : Team signs WR Bruce after cutting him earlier

OMEN
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/10/bc.fbn.rams.bruce.ap/p1_bruce.jpg
Isaac Bruce is the Rams' career leader in receptions (813), receiving yards (12,278) and receiving touchdowns (77)
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The St. Louis Rams will keep Isaac Bruce after dropping their veteran wide receiver Sunday because contract talks stalled, the team announced Friday.

The Rams have agreed to terms of a three-year contract with Bruce. Their longest-tenured player was a free agent for less than a week after the Rams released him with the intention of bringing him back once an NFL collective bargaining agreement was settled.

On Wednesday, team owners and the players' union extended the collective bargaining agreement for six years.

The 33-year-old four-time Pro Bowler, was approached by other NFL teams in that short period of free agency, but he will be back for a 13th season.

"I'm excited that we have worked out a deal," Coach Scott Linehan said in a news release. "I'd been optimistic all along that we would be able to get this done."

Bruce was entering the final year of a seven-year, $42 million contract he signed in 2000.

Bruce had a salary cap figure of $10 million for next season. He was due a $1.5 million roster bonus Monday, the first day of the free agency period, as part of an $8.1 million salary.

But the opening of free agency was put off by the protracted negotiations between the owners and players and finally opened Friday.

The Rams have only two wide receivers under contract, Torry Holt and Dane Looker. Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald are restricted free agents.

Bruce has been with the team since 1994, the year before the team moved to the Midwest from Los Angeles.

Bruce is the Rams' career leader in receptions (813), receiving yards (12,278) and receiving touchdowns (77). He also caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the Rams' lone Super Bowl victory after the 2000 season.

Last season, Bruce missed five games with a dislocated toe and had 36 receptions for 525 yards.

Associated Press