PDA

View Full Version : Rematch of NFL classic may have new flavor

Baby P
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
(Jan. 5, 2006) -- One of the first things you notice about this game is the similarities and differences of their two quarterbacks.

They're extremely different experience-wise, as Mark Brunell is in his upper 30's, while this is going to be the first playoff experience for Chris Simms. I think that will be a big factor in how Tampa Bay does offensively, because you know it will be facing a blitzing defense from the Redskins. The fact that Brunell has been in the playoffs and does have that experience gives him a little bit of a nod as far as what to expect.

Chris Simms will aim to hit the big play with Joey Galloway.
It tilts it to the Washington side, but as far as the two guys and how they play, they're both similar. They're both left-handers and can both throw the long ball, but I think both of them throw controlled passes the majority of the time. Simms and Brunell are short-intermediate throwers, leaning on conservative routes, but both Brunell and Simms will try to stretch the field with their big-play receivers, Santana Moss and Joey Galloway. In terms of experience, the edge naturally goes to Brunell. As far as big-play ability, they're about equal.

But I think it will be a defensive struggle. I truly believe that. I think the fact that they've played each other before gives these teams some knowledge of one another. And you also have two top-10 defenses in the league (Washington ranks ninth and Tampa Bay first), so I really think the defenses will come to play in this game.

The first game turned into a shootout (a 36-35 Tampa Bay win), but people don't remember that it looked like it would be a low-scoring game for a long time. It started off early as a low-scoring game, and then toward the end of the second quarter and into the third is when the points started getting put up on the board.

If it does become a defensive battle, the running games have to be more of a factor this time around. In the first game, the Redskins were extremely effective with Clinton Portis early on. He was on pace for 100 yards in the first half. He had an effective day, and I think Portis can definitely have a big day against Tampa Bay's run defense. And you know that the Buccaneers, with a healthy Cadillac Williams, will try to keep the ball out of young Simms' hands.

Clinton Portis should have some success on the ground once again.
I think Washington's momentum coming into the game means a lot -- and not so much because of the winning streak (which stands at five games). More importantly, the Redskins are playing well. They're running the ball, playing strong defense and creating turnovers -- the things you have to do to win games in the playoffs and win a championship. They're doing all those things right now, and that's why they're winning games.

Looking again at the last game between these two, the Redskins were up late in the fourth quarter. They should feel extremely confident that they can come to Tampa Bay and beat this team. They probably feel they should have won the first game, losing only by a two-point conversion. But the Buccaneers are sure to be confident as well, as they actually did win last time.

No tricks needed
Because both teams should be coming in confident, both will probably play close to the vest. I think both teams feel as though they should win if they just don't make any mistakes. They don't think they'll need any trick plays to win this game. They'll likely just want to play consistent, turnover-free games because they both know they can win that way. There won't be any trickery.

The Redskins have some playoff experience on their roster, but they do have some young guys who haven't been there, so going into Tampa Bay could be rough. The extremely loud crowd will play a role. And the fans do remember that the last time they made the playoffs, they won the Super Bowl, so they'll be geared up. Those fans don't expect anything less, and people underestimate how loud that stadium gets.

Being a defensive guy, this is my kind of game. You know the defense is going to play well, and I think one of the team's defenses will have to win the game. If either team can get a turnover and set up good field position or maybe score on defense or special teams, I think that will be the deciding factor in the game.