PDA

View Full Version : Report: Couture to Come Out of Retirement

Will
01-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Randy Couture, the only two-division champion in UFC history, is expected to announce a return to active competition this Thursday, reports the Wrestling Observer.

Since hanging up his gloves after a second consecutive knockout loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell in Feb. 2006, "The Natural" has repeatedly suggested he would return to the Octagon under the right circumstances. That could mean facing UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, 30, in March, a separate report from MMAweekly indicated Tuesday evening.

Two weeks ago, Couture told "Beatdown" on the Sherdog Radio Network that should Tito Ortiz defeat Liddell on Dec. 30 he would face the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" if given the opportunity. Liddell's third-round technical knockout appeared to derail any plans of a Couture comeback.

The UFC, which is rumored to have heavily lobbied the 43-year-old two-time UFC heavyweight champion to return to the cage, will likely promote Sylvia-Couture for its March card in Columbus, Ohio. Couture (14-8-0) has not fought at heavyweight since succumbing to Ricco Rodriguez in 2002. In his next bout, Rodriguez gave up the heavyweight belt to Sylvia.

Couture can still fight better than most people and could make a rather successful return to the cage, but I dont think his style would mesh well together with Sylvia and make a good fight. Slyvia does a good job using his huge reach advantage to keep fights standing up and Couture is best on the ground. I'm sure the UFC realizes the potential for a borefest, but they need a big name to fight in the UFC untl cro cop is ready.

vegeta02012
01-11-2007, 03:10 AM
I agree, there is a potential for a bit of a boring match between them, but the hype alone would bring good buyrates for them. I personally dont think it will be a terrible match and still look forward to it

Fedoral
01-14-2007, 03:34 AM
The buyrates should be good, but not great compared to what they have been doing lately with the Hughes-Gracie, Ortiz-Shamrock and Liddell-Ortiz cards.