PDA

View Full Version : Official: Sperry Out, Monson to Face Sims at GFC

Will
01-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Mario Sperry, who was scheduled to face Lancaster, Ohio native Wes Sims on Gracie Fighting Championships’ Jan. 20 event, has been forced off the card due to a hand injury, Sherdog.com confirmed Tuesday evening.

Filling the vacated spot against Sims is American Top Team fighter Jeff Monson.

The 35-year-old Monson last fought in Nov., when the Olympia, Wash. native saw his 16-fight win streak came to a halt against UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.

The former UFC contender agreed in principal to a one-fight deal, seemingly leaving the door open for a possible April showdown with PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko in St. Petersburg, Russia on a bodogFIGHT pay-per-view card.

Also of note for GFC’s second effort, with the exception of the event’s title bout between Nick Diaz and Thomas Denny, rounds will consist of a 10-minute first period, followed by a five-minute frame. An overtime stanza consisting of five minutes will be added if the bout is ruled a draw after two rounds. The Diaz-Denny contest is scheduled for three frames, and an extra period if necessary.

The GFC’s return will be televised on pay-per-view in the U.S. via iNDEMAND and Dish Network. Canadian viewers will have access through Viewers Choice and Bell ExpressVu. Working the broadcast from cage-side will be UFC and PRIDE veteran Phil Baroni, BJJ black belt Cesar Gracie and Ryan Dunn of Jackass fame.

Credit: Mike Fridley

I thought the Monson - Fedor fight was already signed so I don't understand why Monson is taking this fight. I guess he is trying to get as much out of his UFC appearance as he can before his 15 minutes of fame is up.