PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Hatton Sacrifices To See Name In Vegas Lights

Will
01-18-2007, 03:12 AM
(AP):While Ricky Hatton's family celebrated Christmas and rang in the new year in Manchester, England, he sparred round after round in a mostly empty gym across town.

When Hatton's son, Campbell, had his sixth birthday last week, Hatton marked the occasion with a phone call from Nevada and a wistful wish to be there.

Boxing glory comes with a price that Hatton always has been willing to pay -- particularly when the junior welterweight's reward is the chance to see his name in Las Vegas lights for the first time in his unblemished career.

"When I came off the phone with (Campbell), I just wanted to go down to the gym and hit a punch bag hard -- very hard," Hatton said. "I love him to bits, but I'm out here to be called world champion again, and hearing him from so many miles away has made me more determined to get the job done.

"I'm doing all this to give him a better life. So yes, it is sad, but that's what makes the success all the sweeter when it does happen."

Hatton (41-0, 30 KOs) is in final preparations for the chance to reclaim his 140-pound IBF title Saturday night. Colombia's Juan Urango claimed the belt last June after Hatton relinquished it to move up to welterweight, where he noly beat Luis Collazo in a gritty 12-round decision last May in Boston.

But facing Urango is about more than hardware for a good-natured, fearless fighter who rose from Manchester's council estates to a spot among England's most beloved athletes. With his first fight in the world's boxing epicenter, Hatton hopes to show American audiences that he's ready to be a star on both sides of the Atlantic.

A victory over the hard-hitting Urango also could set up Hatton for a big payday against Jose Luis Castillo, who shares the bill with him Saturday at the Paris Las Vegas -- but after weeks of isolation and preparation, Hatton simply wants the chance to make his sacrifices worthwhile.

"We've got the right opponent to make it into something special," Hatton said. "I'm expecting some real fireworks. Juan Urango doesn't take a backward step, and neither do I. That means a lot to me. I never want anybody to go away from a Ricky Hatton fight saying, 'That put me to sleep.' I want them to see something special."

Hatton's rags-to-riches story has been special to the English fans who adore him for years of gritty victories at home. He was widely considered 2005's fighter of the year after thrilling victories over Kostya Tszyu and Carlos Maussa, and his controversial decision over Collazo came in a thoroughly entertaining fight.

He has been out of the ring for eight months during legal wrangles over his promotion, but this fight is a prime chance to regain his career momentum -- and get the attention of American fans who should love the hardheaded style of a fighter who considers himself more of a Mexican-style brawler than a British technician.

Hatton is widely compared to Arturo Gatti, another beloved fighter who overcame his talent deficiencies with pure courage and hard work to become a repeat champion. A great performance on HBO's national broadcast could raise Hatton's profile with the same fans who adore "Thunder" Gatti.

And Hatton's self-effacing personality also should go over well with fans who already speak his language. Contrary to the opinions of critics who saw him as a sheltered fighter in Manchester, Hatton insists he's ready to go global.

"That's my next goal, really," Hatton said. "Over in Great Britain, I don't think I could become any more popular. I want to be one of the few fighters from Great Britain that's been as successful in the States as at home."

Though Hatton stayed away from most family comforts during the holidays, he won't be alone on fight night. Promoters estimate more than 3,000 fans will travel from England to see him, sure to create an intoxicating atmosphere that could linger with American fans until his next bout.

"The majority of my very close friends have been saving up for Vegas for three or four years," Hatton said. "Obviously, they haven't got much money, but it's not every day one of your close mates is top of the bill in Vegas.

"When my boyhood friends walk down the Strip and see my name in lights, it's quite emotional, to be honest. That's a real motivation."