PDA

View Full Version : Witter ready for Morua, eyes showdown with Hatton

Will
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
LONDON (Ticker) - Junior Witter plans to travel to America and unify the light-welterweight division after his first title defense against Arturo Morua on Friday - with or without Ricky Hatton.

The 32-year-old Witter puts his WBC belt on the line against Mexican Morua at London's Alexandra Palace on Saturday while bitter domestic rival Hatton challenges for his old IBF title against Juan Urango in Las Vegas.

The build-up to the contest has been dominated by a war of words between Witter and Hatton, with the Yorkshireman repeating his regular calls for the pair to meet in the ring.

But Witter insists a clash with Hatton, 28, is not the be-all and end-all for his career.

"It's the logical fight," Witter said. "It's a very appetizing fight. If he wins and when I win it's definitely going to be an appealing fight.

"You've got two genuine world champions who are without a doubt top-10 fighters. No one can deny that. He's not the one thing I think about, though. The main thing for me is to keep winning and make some good money and beat reputable challengers and get a unification."

Hatton has been on cloud nine this week as he prepares to headline a card in Las Vegas for the first time.

While Witter plans to follow suit by heading to the United States in the near future, he insists he feels no jealousy about fighting in London rather than on the Strip.

"I'm happy in London," Witter said. "We've still got links with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and we're looking at the next fight probably being over there, either Los Angeles or Las Vegas. I just leave it all to Mick Hennessy (promoter) and John (Ingle, manager)."

Witter's last four fights have gone the distance but he believes in Morua he faces a fighter perfectly suited in style and is hoping for an early finish.

"A come-forward style suits me," Witter said. "As far as I know he's got quick hands, throws a lot of punches and has got a decent punch.

"Everybody who boxes for the WBC title has to have something so he's dangerous. The first defense is always the worst, as everybody says, so I'm just looking to get it out the way. I'm hoping for a stoppage but I'm not relying on it."

Both fighters comfortably made the weight within the 10-stone limit, tipping the scales at 9st 13 3/4lbs at the first attempt.

"Training has gone well. The sparring has come together after it was a bit slow over Christmas with there not being many people about," Witter said. "Even without the sparring I've been working hard in the gym, even on Christmas Day, New Year's Day training as normal. I try to stay in the gym all year round. I had a little bit of time off after the last fight but I've been back in for a while.

''It's been hard but it feels good. It feels like I'm going to be right on the night."