PDA

View Full Version : Boxing: Hatton pledges Castillo fireworks

AFC1986
01-21-2007, 11:35 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42476000/jpg/_42476041_hatton_attack203.jpg
Hatton (left) goes on the attack against Juan Urango

New IBF light welterweight champion Ricky Hatton has promised to turn on the style against Mexico's Jose Luis Castillo, his next opponent.
Hatton looked far from his best in battling to a points win over Juan Urango on Saturday in Las Vegas.

But the Briton said: "If you want to watch a chess match then De La Hoya versus Mayweather is the one to see.

"But if you want to see two guys knock the hell out of each other, then come and watch us."

Castillo looked listless throughout his own points win against Cameroonian Ngoudjo on Saturday, and was twice wobbled by seemingly innocuous Ngoudjo jabs.

Castillo admitted: "I am happy with the result but not the performance.

"But my fight against Ricky is going to be a war. I was happy to see him win because I am looking forward to it."

Hatton found himself the target of some criticism after his win.

But he said: "Everybody is always going to judge me against the Kostya Tszyu fight but not all fights can be like that.

"It will be an honour to share the ring with Jose. You only become a great fighter if you share the ring with other great fighters, and that is exactly what Jose is."

Before Hatton gets back into training, he intends to take a short break, and was due to take up front row seats at a Tom Jones gig at the MGM Grand Hotel on Sunday.

Hatton revealed that Jones had phoned his hotel suite before the fight to wish him good luck.

Hatton said: "He said it was Tom and I said, 'Tom who?'

"But I am a very big Tom Jones fan and after a hard fight like that I can't wait to put my feet up with my family and go and have a good time."

credit: bbc sport