PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Fake?

bad_meetz_evil
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
"Wrestling, it's fake and stupid!"

That's about what you'll hear from most people that aren't wrestling fans themselves. Bring up the subject that you watch wrestling, and it won't be long before the subject of wrestling being "fake" comes up.

My most common response to this is, "So?" in which case the accuser has, on numerous occasions, resorted to saying "So it's stupid!"

So even if wrestling is fake, and it's stupid. Wait a second...aren't sitcoms fake, too? The word sitcom comes from "situation comedy," which means that the characters get into situations, and comedy results from this. Besides, people know that sitcoms aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

How about dramas? You've got shows such as CSI Miami, ER and NYPD Blue. They've all got intricate plot lines that keep you hooked for an hour. They're still fake, but that's ok, because people know that dramas aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

What about the News? It's real and entertaining, right? Tell that to your local newscaster, who has to report on a horrible car accident on Route 19, where 3 adults and 2 children were killed, both children under the age of 5. Their heads crushed and covered in glass. Or when a teenage girl was raped and murdered, her body mutilated and dumped into the river and found days later, the rapist and murderer nowhere to be found. It doesn't get much more real than that, but real is good, isn't it?

It isn't like the term "sports entertainment" refers to the fact that wrestling isn't real. It isn't like wrestling has plotlines or anything. It isn't like the wrestlers get into situations and often times there is a genuine amount of comedy mixed in. I mean, why would wrestlers want to go into a match, knowing that they were going to lose? Kind of like, why would an actor shoot an episode of a television show, knowing their character is going to get killed? Oh, but that's ok, because people know sitcoms and dramas are fake. Wrestling is fake, too, though, and that makes it stupid.

We are constantly mocked and made fun of, simply because our favourite television show isn't real. We can't wear our wrestling shirts or talk about it around non-wrestling fans without getting that famous question, "Why do you watch wrestling, anyway? It's fake...it's stupid." If you pay attention, you'll see that wrestling has every element of every other type of television show there is. It has the suspense of a drama and the suspense of a sport. There's comedy, situational irony and romance. They call wrestling a soap opera for men, even though women make up a good chunk of wrestling fans. So what's the difference between wrestling and every other television show out there?

hunter_spn
04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Wrestling aint fake. Its scripted.

Assassin™
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
"Wrestling, it's fake and stupid!"

That's about what you'll hear from most people that aren't wrestling fans themselves. Bring up the subject that you watch wrestling, and it won't be long before the subject of wrestling being "fake" comes up.

My most common response to this is, "So?" in which case the accuser has, on numerous occasions, resorted to saying "So it's stupid!"

So even if wrestling is fake, and it's stupid. Wait a second...aren't sitcoms fake, too? The word sitcom comes from "situation comedy," which means that the characters get into situations, and comedy results from this. Besides, people know that sitcoms aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

How about dramas? You've got shows such as CSI Miami, ER and NYPD Blue. They've all got intricate plot lines that keep you hooked for an hour. They're still fake, but that's ok, because people know that dramas aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

What about the News? It's real and entertaining, right? Tell that to your local newscaster, who has to report on a horrible car accident on Route 19, where 3 adults and 2 children were killed, both children under the age of 5. Their heads crushed and covered in glass. Or when a teenage girl was raped and murdered, her body mutilated and dumped into the river and found days later, the rapist and murderer nowhere to be found. It doesn't get much more real than that, but real is good, isn't it?

It isn't like the term "sports entertainment" refers to the fact that wrestling isn't real. It isn't like wrestling has plotlines or anything. It isn't like the wrestlers get into situations and often times there is a genuine amount of comedy mixed in. I mean, why would wrestlers want to go into a match, knowing that they were going to lose? Kind of like, why would an actor shoot an episode of a television show, knowing their character is going to get killed? Oh, but that's ok, because people know sitcoms and dramas are fake. Wrestling is fake, too, though, and that makes it stupid.

We are constantly mocked and made fun of, simply because our favourite television show isn't real. We can't wear our wrestling shirts or talk about it around non-wrestling fans without getting that famous question, "Why do you watch wrestling, anyway? It's fake...it's stupid." If you pay attention, you'll see that wrestling has every element of every other type of television show there is. It has the suspense of a drama and the suspense of a sport. There's comedy, situational irony and romance. They call wrestling a soap opera for men, even though women make up a good chunk of wrestling fans. So what's the difference between wrestling and every other television show out there?
Who exactly are you trying to convince? This is a pro wrestling discussion forum where wrestling fans come to discuss wrestling. We're not making fun of ourselves. I haven't personally experienced any apathetic treatment due to the fact that I like wrestling, and if I ever did, it wouldn't bother me that much. I am constantly commenting on how 95% of the shit that is on American television is a waste of electricity to even film. It's almost as if we are getting dumber as a country. So, in the case that someone made fun of me for watching wrestling, I'd simply ask them what they like to watch on TV. Chances are that their answer will be something a thousand times dumber than pro wrestling. It isn't hard to find fault in all of these retarded "Reality" TV shows, sitcoms, hospital dramas, or whatever ignorant liberal propaganda Comedy Central decides to subliminally infect our TV screens with.

I really hope you're trying to be funny.

Metalring
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Wrestling is scripted.Sometimes things mess up and somebody gets seriuously injured.Now if you want real wrestling,take a look at my man New Jack.....okay bad example.

LionDen
04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, whatever anyone wants to say about the fakeness of wrestling, i for one would not like to be on the wrong end of a tombstone for example.

the madscotsman
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
look all I do when I hear that is tell them to whatch beyond the mat. or make them whatch ECW. then they usually change there minds. failling that I T-bone Tazplex them and slap on the Tazmission lol.

Crisco Bob
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Wrestling is not all fake, they do take the bumps. But what IS fake is the storylines. But hey, that's what makes us watch it. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't watch if if they just had a few matches every week that wouldn't result into anything. They would just be wrestling for no reason.

Assassin™
04-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Wrestling is all fake. Sure wrestlers do get injured constantly, but they are not trying to hurt each other. It's the same as a football player or basketball player getting injured.

It's not like the matches are routine or choreographed, but they do have planned out high spots and the finish is always well known by each wrestler and the referee. (Exception: Montreal 1997)

The moves that the wrestlers perform are like illusions. They are done in a way that attempts to make the viewer think they are actually seeing someone get hurt. For instance: In most matches, the most common move is a punch. You may see it executed 40-50 times per match. You obviously can't take 50 clean shots to the face and never lose conciousness. Most people who watch wrestling know things like the punches are fake, but there still seems to be confusion on some high-impact moves. Sure wrestlers to botch moves, but unless they are mentally sick, they are not trying hurt their opponent.

Mr Mando
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
it is not fake lolz but its scripted
**usually the segments**
matches r real 100%
--------------------------------------

DeadWolf
04-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Yeah, that's all it is.

likatiga
04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
All the outcomes are predetermined. The storylines are designed to entertain as are the gimmicks. And we all know that if you really got piledrived (just ask Stone Cold) or hit with a flying elbow it could and probably would cause some serious damage. However a lot of the hits that happen in the ring are real, especially in the indies. There have been to many injuries and to much blood spilt to deny the fact that on occasions wrestling action is real.

Assassin™
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
^ That just means they are bad wrestlers who make mistakes. That's why they are on the indy scene. Wrestling is all fake. I fail to see how anyone with the brainpower of a human can believe pro-wrestling is "100% real".

The Lost Soul 13
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I completely disagree with likatiga. Injuries in pro wrestling in the upper echelon ( WWE, TNA etc. ) are about 75 % to 25 %. 25 % are caused by one move such as a botched piledriver etc. The main bulk of wrestling injuries happen over time and then one time the body just gives out. This is not the talents fault and even a lot of the times when injury is caused by talent you can't fully blame them because mistakes and injuries do happen. I am sure that there are many good wrestlers out there who have injured guys one time or another by accident.

shakie
04-10-2006, 10:33 PM
i know this guy on my bus home, hes an ass whenever I bring up wrestling and says, "Wrestling sucks. Its fake. I dont know why you watch it." Its kinda ironic that one of his best friends is a huge wrestling fan. Anyway at least now I have a response. Seriously, theres a reason its called wrestling "ENTERTAINMENT"

likatiga
04-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree with you lost soul, however the point I am trying is that wrestlers don't go out of there way to hurt themselves or others. The moves that they do, especially the high impact ones have been practised and hopefully perfected before they hit a WWE, TNA or even indy ring. There are some instances where the moves goes wrong and somebody is injured. But to completely write wrestling off as fake is complete ignorance. Like I said in my previous post, we are not morons, we do know that the result is predetermined, we know that they are largely in the entertainment industry, but these guys are athletes and they work just as hard as any other professional athletes to improve there performance, for us the viewer.

Assassin™
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
^That's basically exactly what I said, only dumbed down a little.

I completely disagree with likatiga.

I agree with you lost soul
*Assassin™ chuckles*

I am sure that there are many good wrestlers out there who have injured guys one time or another by accident.
That is exactly how wrestling talent is measured. Good wrestlers have a minimal number of adccidents. The shitty ones put their opponents in hospitals.

This whole talk of injuries really is beside the point anyway. Noting that wrestlers do get injured doesn't prove or disprove anything in terms of wrestling being fake. Just the fact that we are referring to them as "injuries" means they were not supposed to happen. If a pro-boxer or MMA fighter gets his lip busted or his nose broken, it's not considered an injury. That is because those types of fighting are real.

likatiga
04-12-2006, 01:31 PM
The bottom line is that it is an entertainment industry, I tend to think aspects of it are real, others think differently.

Assassin™
04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
You're clinging to false hopes if you still think aspects of it are real after everything that has been posted in this thread.

LG
04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
For those who says wrestling is stupid, step into a wrestling ring and we will predetermine that you will lose in a heartbeat

Assassin™
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
^The only thing stupid was that post. No one in this thread had said once that wrestling was stupid. Why would we even be registered here if we thought that? This was supposed to be a discussion on the fakeness of pro-wrestling, not your own little rant on those who have called wrestling stupid.

likatiga
04-13-2006, 02:52 PM
What false hopes am I clinging too Assassin? So you are saying that everything that happens in that ring is fake, that all the chops and kicks, never connect. That some of the injuries suffered by the wrestlers are fake. I have said the the storylines and gimmicks are there for pure entertainment value and that the results are predetermined, but I can't concede that everything is fake because it is not

Assassin™
04-14-2006, 07:27 PM
So you are saying that everything that happens in that ring is fake
That is exactly what I am saying. Except for accidents, it is all fake.

It is because of people like you that WWE is so successful. While you watch your TV screen in amazement of how real everything looks, thinking to yourself, "Oh man! That powerbomb had to hurt. You could see HBK's head bounce right off the mat!", you never stop and realize that these wrestlers are regular people. When injuries happen, it doesn't mean wrestling is real, it means the wrestlers are human. They don't have super-human strength, but they are finely trained athletes who have a great threshold for pain. They are not magicians, but they do perform illusions. They are not anything more than musicians, movie stars, or other average entertainers. You can't believe that every lyric of your favorite band's new single is their true feelings about life. You are smart enough to know that when your favorite actor comes out with a new movie, he is not actually the character you see on at the movie theater. When listening to music, watching moves, or watching pro-wrestling, we know we are supposed to suspend our disbelief, but some people, like you likatiga, have permanently expelled it. Just agreeing that the storylines are scripted isn't nearly enough. All of wrestling is fake, but some people have eternal doubts. It is in that little bit of doubt in your head where WWE makes most of their cash. They just can't wait to sell you this stuff.

likatiga
04-15-2006, 02:52 PM
For your information assassin I barely watch wrestling now, infact I am that busy I probably see it maybe twice a month. However I have been watching pro wrestling for 20 years, and was involved with a small wrestling organization here in Australia. So don't tell me that aspects of it is not real, as I have come home with cuts and bruises all over my body from being beaten up by some guy who wants to look good in front for 20- 50 people. You may seat back on your fat ass in your reclined armchair commenting on how much that superkick missed his face or if he had of landed that in real life the guy would be dead. I have seen things first hand, and although it might not be the WWE or TNA (by a long long way) I have seen guys front teeth knocked right out, noses smashed over a guys face and I guy who had a compound fracture of his leg that bad he had his shin bone pertruding out of his skin just above the ankle. So like I have said previously, the strylines are for entertainment value, the results are predetermined, but some of the action is real. Trust me on that.

cookie_dough_619
04-16-2006, 02:04 AM
We don't want this turning into an arguement thread, do we...!??!

Anyways, when I first started watching wrestling (when I was 9), I found it odd that the wrestlers stamped their foot everytime they punched.... I pretty much picked up that it was 'fake' straight away. I just found it so darn entertaining! I watch most federations of wrestling and (foolishly) myself and my fellow wrestling addicts have 'mess-about' matches. I just find the 'sport' (for lack of a better term) that good...

Yes, those guys have an enormous threshold for pain, yes they are expertly trained athletes and yes every major spot and every aspect of the match is planned..... but I personally wouldnt like to have Samoa Joe hurling himself through the ropes at the spped of light on top of me.... the tacks wouldnt appeal much to me either...

Assassin™
04-17-2006, 07:29 PM
For your information assassin I barely watch wrestling now, infact I am that busy I probably see it maybe twice a month. However I have been watching pro wrestling for 20 years, and was involved with a small wrestling organization here in Australia.
That really has nothing to do with this thread. However much you watch wrestling doesn't make it real.
So don't tell me that aspects of it is not real,Check the title of this thread.
as I have come home with cuts and bruises all over my body from being beaten up by some guy who wants to look good in front for 20- 50 people.
By trying to argue, you're only proving me right. When I said wrestlers are human, not only does that mean that they fuck up on a regular basis, but they also do some dishonest things backstage and in the ring.
You may seat back on your fat ass in your reclined armchair commenting on how much that superkick missed his face or if he had of landed that in real life the guy would be dead.
Well aren't you a hypocrite. You tried to expose the fact that I didn't know anything about you, but then you go on idiotically babbling on about me and what I look like. You are competely ignorant to my experience in the pro wrestling industry, but obviously being correct and accurate with your speech isn't that imortant to you. I really couldn't care less if you're wrong. I won't waste my time and effort trying to convince you otherwise. If I may quote Mick Foley, "You obviously care a lot more about me than I do about you."
I have seen things first hand, and although it might not be the WWE or TNA (by a long long way) I have seen guys front teeth knocked right out, noses smashed over a guys face and I guy who had a compound fracture of his leg that bad he had his shin bone pertruding out of his skin just above the ankle. So like I have said previously, the strylines are for entertainment value, the results are predetermined, but some of the action is real. Trust me on that.
Why the hell should I trust you? I don't know you. I have a fully functional brain of my own that is capable of forming it's own thoughts and opinions. I'm not going to just blindly believe anything you say. The reason I couldn't care less about you or what you've done in a wrestling ring is because it is totally impertinent to this topic.

M-J
04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
wrestling is fake, but it is entertaining, we dont care if it is really fake at least we are having fun of what they are doing, sometimes they get injured by accidents but it is really fake.

Assassin™
04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
^I wish this debate could be settled by a post that simple and true. Some people just don't get logic.

King TE
04-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Agreed. Wrestling=Fake. Moves=Fake. Injuries happen. Some wrestler put themselves in danger's way for entertainment but that is only a VERY select few. But for the people who look down on people who watch wrestling because it is fake are just hiprocrit's. They are the same people who go home and watch cartoons that have no truth what-so-ever. 'Or go see a horror movie that is just as fake. But in the WWE it is the same way except. There is no stunt doubles. When they do stunts they know accidents can happen. So, are wrestling better than actors? Most of them. They are pretty much actors that do their own stunts.