HOLLYWOOD couldn't have scripted it any better.

Movie star Russell Crowe and multi-millionaire Peter Holmes a Court have survived a cliff-hanger historic vote to become the owners of the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

In the end it came down to just 32 votes, with the celebrity duo winning the ballot by 0.8 per cent.

Crowe leapt for the ceiling - along with the bulk of 2000 members at yesterday's dramatic emergency general meeting - when the verdict was announced by Souths chairman Nick Pappas at 4.22pm.

Swamped by well-wishers, Crowe compared the victory with the sweetest possible prize in rugby league.

"A lady came up to me afterwards and said this is better than our last grand final win in 1971," Crowe said." And I would have to say that I agree."

After enduring an arduous seven-month campaign to buy the club, Holmes a Court was still punching the air and high-giving fans 15 minutes after the shock result was revealed.

In truth, few expected the pair to gain 75 per cent of the vote which was needed to take Souths from members hands for the first time in 98 years.

Flagging the new era about to dawn at Redfern, opposition stalwarts George Piggins and Henry Morris immediately declared over their days of fighting for the embattled club.

"I won't be going to another match, that's it for me," said Piggins, who attracted 860 proxy votes opposing the bid.

"I can't bear to watch a privatised side go around."

Pursuant to official clearance next month, Holmes a Court and Crowe will own a 75 percent stake in Souths.

Their $3 million investment also entitles them to four seats on a new eight-member board.

Channel 9 CEO Eddie Maguire has been touted as a possible director.

Crowe revealed last night that he had offered the Collingwood President a position.

"There's no teams with red and green in the AFL and no Rabbitohs, so he's got no problems there," said Crowe, who will approach Maguire again.

The tense conclusion to yesterday's proceedings was a fitting climax to an incident packed day at Telstra Stadium.

More than 2000 members crammed into the Olympic venues Millennium room, with spite a plenty coming from both sides of the debate.

Morris was booed and jeered as he tried to counter the bid.

Although the knife-edge meeting didn't turn violent, the drama proved too much for an elderly attendee who collapsed during the 12-hour count.

The 79-year-old woman was rushed to hospital after fainting during the agonising wait.

It was well worth it for Crowe who is now predicting the team can win the 2008 premiership.
The Daily Telegraph