The future of many UFC flyweights is currently up in the air. Currently, rumors are circulating suggesting the division could be closed soon. This comes just after Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson was traded to ONE Championship. However, current division champion Henry Cejudo is set to defend his title against bantamweight champ TJ Dillashaw.

For now, it looks like fight fans will have to wait until after Cejudo vs. Dillashaw for any news on the division’s future. With that being said, it looks like many top flyweights don’t want to take any chances. One of those being Sergio Pettis, who recently decided to jump up to bantamweight.

Pettis will face Rob Font at UFC Milwaukee from the Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center on December 15th. Speaking to MMA Junkie, Pettis said he had heard the rumors about the flyweight division shutting down. Not wanting to take the risk of fighting outside the UFC, Pettis decided to return to bantamweight:

“Obviously, I heard the rumors and I didn’t want to fight outside the UFC – I love the UFC,” Pettis said. “I’ve been with them for the past five years. I thought it was time to go back to 135, honestly. Just the way my body is growing. I’m 25 years old now. I might not be growing taller, but sideways, man, I’m getting bigger.

“The weight cut at 125 wasn’t hard, but that’s because I’m a strict athlete. I made it easy on myself, I could fight at 125 if I want to, but I also can fight at 135. I have the skillset to fight at 135. And I think it’s time. I don’t need to do these hard weight cuts anymore. I think I can just be myself.”