Cody Rhodes has said that he regrets not having Shawn Spears in the ring for his celebration after the WrestleMania 40 win over Roman Reigns.

The American Nightmare recently had an interview with The Babyfaces podcast. He discussed things such as The Miz throwing him a crazy party for his 21st birthday and more.

Cody has long history with The Chairman, going all the way back to their time in Ohio Valley Wrestling. Spears was one of Rhodes' first mentors after Dusty Rhodes decided to put them in a tag team because Spears had more experience than his son.

The American Nightmare talked about this time and mentioned how Shawn Spears was the one who carried him through the rivalry with former WWE tag team Deuce 'n Domino:

"You mentioned Shawn Spears. So Shawn Spears, during the Deuce-Domino-Cherry, during this rivalry, I had no fundamental experience. I couldn’t tell you a top wrist lock from a double quarter. I had no fundamentals. But they didn’t mind because they were teaching me from the story perspective first. That’s how Al [Snow] would like to teach and Shawn was there to lead me through it, and he does not get enough credit from me for how special he is."

The Undisputed WWE Champion later recalled meeting Shawn Spears backstage on the day of his big win over Roman Reigns. Cody Rhodes claimed that he regrets not having Spears with him for the post-match celebration at the Show of Shows:

"He is the only person that I regret I didn’t have in the ring after WrestleMania because I saw him that day and we just took a picture together and he was just like he always was. He knew what this day was, he knew it was big and the opportunity to go and I could take it all if I wanted to and gosh dude, I wouldn’t be where I’m at without Shawn Spears. He is a blessing to the business and I am so glad to see him in NXT."

The American Nightmare is scheduled to defend his title against Logan Paul at the upcoming King and Queen of The Ring Premium Live Event from Saudi Arabia on May 25.

After leaving AEW at the start of the year, Shawn Spears returned to WWE during the February 27 episode of NXT. He has been active on the brand as an on-screen talent ever since and has also been helping produce the shows behind the scenes.