Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Official Discussion Thread - Chris Benoit and family found dead! R.I.P

Since there is always continuing news coming in, please visit the many other threads for latest news and information as it breaks. Feel free to continue to discuss this tragedy here.!

Update (Jun 27th):

This is the latest from the Associated Press in the Chris Benoit murder-suicide case.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Two days before he and his family were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide, pro wrestler Chris Benoit told co-workers his wife and son had food poisoning and were throwing up, according to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley, authorities said Tuesday.

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered Monday. No suicide note was found.

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its Web site. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE.

After Benoit talked to a WWE Talent Relations representative, the representative suggested Benoit try to make it to a pay-per-view event in Houston since he would not be able to make it to the live event in Beaumont, Texas.

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 20 miles south of Atlanta. One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage."

"In a community like this it's bizarre to have a murder-suicide, especially involving the death of a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around this."

He said Benoit's 43-year-old wife was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, and her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, and his body was found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Benoit, 40, apparently hanged himself hours later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

The prosecutor said it appeared the wrestler remained in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: "We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at."

Benoit received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet, according to the Albany County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death."

"The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage," the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

Update (Jun 26th):

WWE remove Benoit signs at Smackdown taping.

from James Salinas:

I was in attendance to tonights taping of Smackdown, and security had taken away most of the Benoit signs. For the most part, the signs we respectful and positive - many simply stating "Chris Benoit 1967-2007". I didn't see any negative signs or any kind of backlash, doesn't mean that there weren't any, but i didn't see any. WWE was very serious taking away any sign with his name or likeness. I saw one sign taken away stating "toothless aggression will live forever". These signs were in the arena so I guess they made their decision last minute, usually they screen controversial signs upon entry, and when I entered the building they asked to see signs. There were a couple of Benoit chants before the dark match. But other than that I didn't hear any other chants for Benoit not even the faintest attempt. There was no Benoit merchandise at the stands, and during the warm up videos my friend noticed that Benoit was shown only once, and it was a long video package. I didn't see Vince's segment before the show, so i'm assuming that it wasn't shown live for us to see or I must have spaced out really bad. As far as the wrestlers go i didn't see any kind of emotion, looked like business as usual.

Update (Jun 26th):

J.R. Remembers Chris Benoit

I am in shock, as I’m sure many of you are as well, at the horrific tragedy that occurred involving Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy, and their son Daniel. I knew them all well and this is a terrible and unnecessary loss of 3 lives.

Monday in Corpus Christi was surreal and overtly challenging for everyone. Broadcasting the 3 hour tribute show on Raw seemed befitting to recognize Chris’ career, but it wasn’t an easy show to execute. As of this writing, I couldn’t pass a quiz as to what actually aired.

The details that are now coming out of the police investigation are beyond my comprehension. I don’t even know how to respond to them.

I knew Chris for many, many years and knew his wife Nancy even longer. Daniel was a precious, little gentleman.

While the news media reports on this senseless and tragic event, my thoughts turn to the families of Nancy and Chris and especially to Chris’ two other young children, David and Megan, notwithstanding the Benoit’s many friends and business associates who will miss them all so dearly.

For those of us that knew this family on a personal basis, this tragedy is especially heartbreaking.
    I did not sleep Monday night thinking about the last time I saw Chris, Nancy, and David. I remember the smiles on their faces. I will try and retain that memory for as long as I possibly can.
    This is a surreal, unfathomable occurrence. For all of those that are hurting as are my wife, Jan and me, we wish you our sincere condolences.

We are all hurting, but we all must move forward. May God Bless and comfort the Benoit family and their many friends during this time.

J.R.

Update (Jun 26th):

WWE/Benoit timeline

Written: June 26, 2007On Saturday, June 23, Chris Benoit was slated to appear at a WWE live event in Beaumont, Texas. That afternoon, Benoit contacted WWE to inform them that his wife and child were ill, and that he would not be able to attend the show.

WWE executives rebooked Benoit’s flight for the following morning, allowing Benoit to miss the Beaumont event making alternate arrangements for him to attend the pay-per-view event in Houston on Sunday.

WWE employees attempted to confirm with Benoit his travel plans but were unable to contact him.

Early Sunday morning, between 3:51 and 3:58 a.m., Benoit sent five text messages to co-workers:

Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoit’s cell phone
    “The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open”

Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
    Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
    Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"

Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoit’s cell phone
    “My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

Throughout the day on Sunday, WWE made numerous attempts to contact Benoit both at home and at local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 p.m., WWE officials were unable to establish contact with Chris Benoit.

At 12:30 p.m. on Monday, June 25, WWE officials were notified of the text messages sent to the co-workers the previous day. By 12:45 p.m., WWE had contacted Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office requesting they check on the Benoit family.

Fayetteville County Sheriffs office made contact with WWE at approximately 4:00 p.m. advising that they had entered the house of Chris Benoit and found three deceased bodies – an adult male, adult female and a male child. WWE was told that Benoit’s home was now considered a major crime scene.

The decision to cancel the live event scheduled in Corpus Christi that night was made between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. In keeping with company policy, and with limited knowledge regarding facts of the case, WWE choose to air a memorial dedicated to the career of Chris Benoit. As facts emerged surrounding the case, all tributes to Chris Benoit were removed both on-air and on WWE.com.

Update (Jun 26th):

TMZ.com
    World Wrestling DEADeration

The shocking and gruesome double murder/suicide involving wrestling superstar Chris Benoit isn't the "sport's" first brush with mysterious and untimely deaths. From exploding hearts to drug use -- and even to some unsolved cases -- some of the musclebound who've entered the squared circle have checked out early. TMZ has assembled a gallery of the dudes and chicks -- knocked out too soon.

Chris Benoit - Once admired by fans and critics alike, the "Rabid Wolverine" died June 25, 2007, at age 40, when he hanged himself after killing his wife and son.

Eddie Guerrero - From the famous Guerrero wrestling family, Mr. "Lie, Cheat & Steal" died Nov. 13, 2005, at age 38, from an enlarged heart, due to years of drug abuse.

"Ravishing" Rick Rude - Popular with the ladies, Rude died of a heart attack March 20, 1999 at age 41 (with an open bottle of painkillers next at his bedside).

Miss Elizabeth - Elizabeth Hulette, former wife of Macho Man Randy Savage, died May 01, 2003 at age 42 from an overdose of alcohol and painkillers.

Dino Bravo - Died March 11, 1993, at age 44 from multiple gunshot wounds sustained amidst rumors of cigarette smuggling and a gangland-style hit.

Curt Hennig - As "Mr. Perfect," Hennig claimed perfection in the ring. But acute cocaine intoxication claimed his life on Feb. 10, 2003 at the age of 44.

Bam Bam Bigelow - After years of drug abuse and financial problems, Scott Bigelow succumbed to an overdose on January 19, 2007 at 45.

Road Warrior Hawk - Using his real-life drug and alcohol problems as a storyline, the WWE said goodbye to Michael Hegstrand on Oct. 19, 2003, when he died of a massive heart attack.

Update (Jun 26th):

This Monday's Raw did a 3.8 cable rating with a 6.2 share. The show did 3.5, 4.1, and a 3.9. The did did a 4.0 during the shows normal hours of 9-11:06pm.

Update (Jun 26th):

TVWeek.com is reporting that WWE Head Vince McMahon will appear on tonight's ECW on Sci Fi Broadcast to address the Chris Benoit tragedy and offer a public apology for the company's three hour tribute to Chris Benoit, which aired live last night before the company is believed to have learned the details of the circumstances behind the deaths of Benoit and his family.

Update (Jun 26th):

Daniels medical condition

Canadian female Pam Winthrope told News 1130 in Canada that Chris Benoit's son had a genetic condition called Fragile X syndrome.

According to WebMD, "Fragile X Syndrome is a defect of the X chromosome which causes mild mental retardation. The disorder occurs more frequently and severely among males than females. This condition is the leading known familial cause of mental retardation in the United States. Language delays, behavioral problems, autism or autistic-like behavior (including poor eye contact and hand-flapping), enlarged external genitalia (macroorchidism), large or prominent ears, hyperactivity, delayed motor development and/or poor sensory skills are among the wide range of symptoms associated with this disorder."

Winthrope, whose son also suffers from the condition, told the Canadian news outlet that her husband reached out to Benoit five years ago in an attempt to increase awareness about Fragile X.

She told News 1130, "We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in BC and in Canada, we only have a couple of them. My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes and then he said he didn't want to be a public face for Fragile X, he just wanted to keep it really, really quiet."

Winthrope noted that the lack of support for those affected by the disorder can tear families apart. Nonetheless, "she couldn't believe the news that Benoit had taken his life along with his wife and 7-year-old son," wrote News 1130.

This may explain why Daniel was taking growth hormone injections. It also may shed light onto why Chris didn't want someone else raising his son and made the fateful decision to kill him. As irrational and twisted as it may sound, he may have felt he was saving his son from the double-blow of losing his parents through a murder-suicide and being subject to being raised by people who didn't understand or care for his condition.

Update (Jun 26th):

Bret Hart was interviewed by Global News in Canada on the death of Chris Benoit earlier today. He spoke on the chances of steroids being the cause of the incident, but says that he will wait for confirmation on the stories before saying anything about it. He says that he can't imagine Chris doing the things that they are saying on the news.

He also speaks on the deaths of Owen and Eddie Guerrero, saying that this might be even more tragic for wrestling fans than the death of his brother Owen. The video is now online and you can see it by clicking here.

Update (Jun 26th):

http://www.uowforums.com/showthread....259#post376259

Its a youtube clip, so i posted it in the youtube secton since we're not allowed to post youtube clips anywhere else.

Update (Jun 26th):

Warning Signs from Benoit
    Close friends and colleagues of Chris Benoit have stated that there were warning signs that something was seriously wrong. Granted, as usual, those signs were probably easy to disregard at the time. No one can and should be blamed for not picking up on the warning signs.

Bob Ryder discussed the issue with those close to Chris Benoit. They requested anonymity, of course.

Anonymous Comment On Road Rage
    "This wasn't roid rage, this was insanity. Roid rage doesn't last for 48 hours. There were signs that something was wrong. Stories have emerged that a year ago he became paranoid and believed he was being followed. He wouldn't let Nancy leave the house because he believed someone was out to get them."

Anonymous Comment On Religion
    “Chris hated religion. He didn't believe in it. I cannot comprehend him putting bibles by the bodies. I am shocked.”

Ryder also mentioned that those close to Nancy Benoit claim that she has kept evidence of previous violence from Chris Benoit in a security deposit box somewhere.

Like the autorities warned us, this situation is getting more and more disturbing.

Update (Jun 26th):

The Albany, New York District Attorney's Office said Tuesday that Chris Benoit was a customer of south Florida company MedXLife, which has been implicated in a probe of illegal steroid sales.

Benoit, who apparently killed his wife and son before taking his own life over the weekend, was reportedly a client of the company as recently as last year. Anabolic steroids, apparently with valid prescriptions, were discovered in the home of the deceased.

Earlier this year, two of the MedXLife co-owners admitted to assisting customers in obtaining prescription drugs without medical needs.

According to the pair, Signature Pharmacy of Orlando filled orders for the clients

Update (Jun 26th):

The scheduled Monday Night Raw live event in Corpus Christie, Texas that was canceled last night will now be held on 7/16. WWE has canceled the tour of western Canada that was scheduled for July 14th-17th so that Raw can be held in Texas. Thanks to Devin Cutting.

Silvervision, WWE's European DVD distributor, has pulled the Chris Benoit: Hard Knocks DVD from their website. We've received reports that ToysRUs.com has pulled Chris Benoit action figures from their website as well.

In addition to the Benoit merchandise they pulled from their website this morning, WWE has also pulled the "I did it!" Mr. McMahon T-shirt.

TNA Wrestling has pulled their note of condolences to Chris Benoit from their website.

Update (Jun 26th):

News conference notes from Fayetteville, GA:
    News from Lt Pope and DA Scott Ballard

- Lt. Pope: WWE called police officials at 2:30PM on Monday over concern for Benoit’s well being. Police found all three bodies in the home. “Double Homicide Suicide” is the official ruling.

- It appears Benoit killed his wife on Friday, his son shortly after or Saturday morning, and likely hanged himself either late Saturday night or early Sunday.

- Several hours, no more than a day between murders.

- No suicide note was left behind.

- Asphyxiation is the official ruling for Benoit’s wife and son deaths.

- Benoit was previously arrested for a DUI.

- A lot of prescription medication was found in the home, legal prescriptions.

- Police found anabolic steroids in the home.

- No comment from police regarding a possible motivation.

- He killed himself several hours, but no more than a day, after killing son Daniel.

- Police is unaware of prior domestic violence.

- District Attorney Scott Ballard stated that a Bible was placed near each murder victim.

- Nancy’s hands and feet were bound and she was dressed and wrapped in a towel. Blood was found under Nancy's head.

- In 2003, a temporary restraining order was sought but later dropped.

- Benoit made no attempt to hide the bodies.

- He had text messaged a co worker (Chavo?) and would not go into contents.

- Can not answer on state of mind of benoit.

- The DA himself has not heard from WWE.

- Daniel was found in an upstairs bedroom. Benoit’s wife was also found in an upstairs family room, and Benoit hung himself in the weight room in the basement.

- Benoit used the cords from his weights to hang himself.

- No signs of struggle from son.

- The toxicology reports are still pending. It will probably take more than two weeks for the reports to be finished. The police are waiting for these results.

- Benoit apparently called WWE stating that Daniel was coughing up blood, thus likely the “personal reasons” for missing weekend house shows.

Thanx to Ryan Clark and added info by LionDen

----------------------------------------------------

Another report on the Press Conference:

A press conference was held this afternoon to inform the media of the latest findings in the investigation of the deaths of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy Benoit and their son Daniel. Here is information from the press conference, which was held outside of the Benoit home in Fayetteville, Georgia.

Sheriffs Lieutenant Tommy Pope spoke first.

- He discussed how authorities had received a phone call from WWE at 2:30pm yesterday out of concern when they couldn't get in touch with him. The police searched the Benoit home and discovered the three bodies. At this point, the autopsy has been completed and the investigators are ruling this a double homicide and suicide.

- Going by reports from the medical examiner, it is believed by investigators that Benoit asphyxiated his wife, possibly as early as Friday, then asphyxiated his son on Saturday. Both deaths are currently being ruled as death by asphyxiation. Then it is believed that late Saturday or early Sunday, Benoit hung himself. Pope stated that is was several hours, but no more than a day, between the time of Daniel's death and the time that Benoit hung himself. Toxicology reports are still being worked on, but that is the findings of the investigators at this time.

- There was no suicide note found in the home.

- Daniel Benoit was located in his bedroom, Nancy Benoit was located in an office area, both in the upstairs part of the house.

- Pope said they would not discuss any possible motives for Benoit's actions at this time. Pope also said that they were not able to determine his state of mind as a result of investigating the crime scene.

- When asked if Benoit had an arrest record, Pope noted he had been arrested once on an DUI, but in their jurisdiction they had no knowledge of any arrests or any record of domestic violence. He had no knowledge of any divorce filings.

- Pope stated that there was a lot of prescription medication, which they believe was all legally prescribed. He did not have a full list of drugs, but when pressed by the media, Pope stated that there was anabolic steroids. He noted that there was a prescription for them.

- Pope stated that Benoit did send a text message to a "co-worker" during the weekend, who received it several hours after it was sent. Pope would not disclose the contents of the message or who it was sent to.

District Attorney Scott Ballard then fielded questions from the media.

- Regarding a comment Ballard had made about the deaths being "bizarre", Ballard said that he felt the presumed timing of the deaths of the victims and the suicide was bizarre, as it would mean that Benoit was in the home for several hours with the dead bodies.

- There was a bible placed next to the body of Nancy and a bible next to the body of Daniel. There was no bible found in the room where Benoit hung himself.

- Nancy Benoit was bound around her feet and her wrists (Ballard seemed unsure about the wrists at first), and blood was found under her head. She was clothed, but wrapped in a towel in an office area in the upstairs part of the house.

- Daniel Benoit's body was found in his bed, he was clothed. His bedroom was also in the upstairs part of the home.

- Benoit's body was found in a weight room in the basement of the home. He had hung himself using the cable and pulley system on an exercise machine.

- Ballard reiterated that the autopsy reports indicate that Nancy Benoit was killed on Friday, Daniel Benoit on Saturday morning, and that it is believed Benoit died later Saturday, possibly Sunday.

- The subject of Benoit calling WWE this weekend and informing them that he had to miss the shows due to a family emergency was brought up. Ballard said was not aware of what Benoit claimed the family emergency was.

- Ballard said he had not seen the documents, but noted he had been informed of the order of protection that Nancy Benoit had filed for, but later asked to be rescinded several years ago.

- Ballard noted that toxicology reports will take time, but these are their conclusions to date.

- Ballard did not know if there were firearms in the house.

That ended the press conference, and it was noted that investigators were still at work in the Benoit house.

PWInsider.com

Update (Jun 26th):

WWE will not be sending the three hour Chris Benoit tribute show that aired last night on the USA Network out to their international affiliates for airing. Also The Score in Canada will not run the program during their regularly scheduled Raw replays this week.

Update (Jun 26th):

Associated Press are reporting that the police have now confirmed that Chris Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and hanged himself on Monday.

Benoit was found in his weight room and his wife and son were found in upstairs bedrooms.

Also reports that the police are investigating possible steroid use.

More details as they become available.

LionDen

Update (Jun 26th):

The AP reported that law enforcement officials close to the investigation have confirmed the current belief that Chris Benoit strangled wife Nancy with an electrical chord on Saturday, smothered his son with a bag on Sunday and then hung himself in his basement/weight room on Monday.

Update (Jun 26th):

The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, while updating their coverage of the Benoit family tragedy, reported that Nancy Benoit filed for divorce and an order of protection in May 2003.

In the divorce petition, Nancy Benoit alleged that Chris Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture and furnishings. Petitioner is in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

A judge issued a restraining order against Benoit and barred him from entering the family home. Nancy Benoit asked the court to dismiss the petition in August of that year. The couple later reconciled, celebrating together in the ring following Benoit's WWE World championship win at Wrestlemania XX.

To read the latest Journal-Constitution report, click here

Update (Jun 26th):

World Wrestling Entertainment's website has quietly removed many of the galleries and stories pertaining to Chris Benoit today, replacing them with promotional articles designed to promote the company's Divas and storylines. The article WWE posted late last night about the Benoit family tragedy remains the lead story of the website.

Benoit's profile on the ECW website section has been removed and the ECW website's main focus is on Johnny Nitro's ECW championship win over CM Punk at the Vengeance PPV. As we noted earlier today, the company has pulled all Benoit merchandise as well as any match listings of Benoit matches from WWE DVD releases.

WWE will air a live ECW and tape Smackdown tonight. The scheduled event for developmental company Florida Championship Wrestling in Tampa will also take place as scheduled. The Smackdown/ECW taping is expected to focus solely on wrestling matches with no storyline angles.

PWInsider.com

Update (Jun 26th):

The Fayetteville police department are advising media outlets that a press conference in regard to the Benoit family tragedy and preliminary autospy results of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel is slated for this afternoon. One source expects the conference to take place at 3 PM, although it may be sooner.

Update (Jun 26th):

Associated Press are reporting that the police have now confirmed that Chris Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and hanged himself on Monday.

Benoit was found in his weight room and his wife and son were found in upstairs bedrooms.

Investigators are also investigating whether steroid use was a factor.

More details as they become available.

LionDen

Update (Jun 26th):

Just watched aa FOX news update and a policeman came on and said, "Benoit was found in weight room and mother and child were found in upstairs bedroom". They are also reporting various sources including TMZ.com that various police sources are saying that Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and hanged himself on Monday.

Update (Jun 26th):

In light of the Benoit family tragedy, WWE's Shopzone merchandise website has pulled all merchandise related to Chris Benoit. Searches for Benoit's name in the website's search engine are returned "discontinued."

Benoit's name has been removed to the degree that the listing for the DVD of Wrestlemania XX now reads, "Triple H defends his World Heavyweight Championship against Shawn Michaels."

In a statement released by WWE yesterday, they have admitted knowing alot more details of the tragedy but were told not to release the information to the public by the police.

Update (Jun 26th):

Nothing new in the story so far but to say that the police have all but confirmed that Benoit did kill his wife and son on the weekend and then killed himself. More shall be said after the autopsy today but the toxicology results will take weeks to come back. So a full report will only be avilable then on this whole tragedy.

According to reports, Chris Benoit sent some curious text messages on Sunday to Chavo Guerrero. WWE's Vice President of Government Relations, Richard Hering, ended up calling the Fayette County sheriffs on Monday requesting they check the Benoit residence.

We posted the latest news article from Associated press and can be found below. That is what most news agencies will use for there stories at this time, including FOX news, CNN and so on. This story has reached global news agencies.

We at UOWForums thank you all for continuing to visit us and we will keep you up to date on the latest breaking news with this 24 hrs. We have also swapped it aorund so latest news is at the top now and a post will also be made with the news for your convenience. We did it this way so you can read how the events unfolded in this tragedy in one place.

Update: 26th Jun

The Associated Press released the following story this morning, covering much of the information that has been previously reported. Expect this to be the article that many local media outlets use in their stories on the Benoit tragedy.

Wrestler Benoit Found Dead With Family
    Tuesday June 26, 8:54 am ET
    By Debbie Newby, Associated Press Writer

Authorities Await Autopsies in Deaths of Wrestler Chris Benoit, Wife, 7-Year-Old Son

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit canceled a pay-per-view appearance at the "Vengeance" event in Houston because of "personal reasons" a day before he, his wife and their 7-year-old son were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Details of the deaths "are going to prove a little bizarre" when released to the public, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

Authorities were investigating the deaths at a secluded Fayette County home as a murder-suicide and were not seeking any suspects.

Investigators believe Benoit, (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife and son over the weekend and then himself sometime Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three different rooms of the house on Green Meadow Lane, in a subdivision off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Ballard told The Associated Press a gun was not used in any of the deaths. But he declined to say how the three died.

"We're pretty sure we know, but we want to confirm it with the crime lab," Ballard said early Tuesday.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return phone calls. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

Sheriff's Lt. Tommy Pope told WSB-TV that the three were found about 2:30 p.m., but he wouldn't release other details.

Stamford, Conn.-based WWE also said on its Web site it had been asked by authorities not to release further information on the deaths of Benoit, 40; his wife, Nancy, 43; and son, Daniel.

Benoit was born in Montreal. He was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career. He was known by several names including "The Canadian Crippler."

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit had maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Benoit's wife managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name, "Woman," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

They met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing story line on World Championship Wrestling, the newspaper said.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

Update (Jun 25th):

The following is from WWE.com:

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday’s live event in Beaumont, Tx., and WWE’s Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested that they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff’s Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit’s new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.

WWE.com has further information relating to both the investigation and the cause of death, but the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department has requested that WWE.com not release any additional details at this time.

Update (Jun 25th):

Sources in the Fayette County Police Department are now working under the theory that Chris Benoit killed Nancy on Saturday, son Daniel on Sunday, and then killed himself earlier today.

Benoit was found dead in his weight room. Nancy was found dead in the living room. Daniel was found dead in his bedroom, accordig t an unnamed source in the department.

Lt. Tommy Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on the scene," but didn't specify what those were or where they were found. Pope said the department was not actively searching for any suspects outside the house.

Update (Jun 25th):

World Wrestling Entertainment posted the following on their website this evening:

MURDER-SUICIDE

It has been ruled that the deaths of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel earlier today were the result of a double murder-suicide from within the home. WWE.com will have more as soon as it becomes available.

Update (Jun 25th):

Just saw another FOX news alert on the Benoit deaths. They are now saying that the police are treating the deaths as a murder suicide. They say that benoit killed his wife and child over the weekend and then killed himself. We will update as reports come in ..

Update (Jun 25th):

News reports are quoting authorities as saying the death of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy, and son Daniel, is being investigated as a homicide. Furthermore, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution altered the paragraph of their article on the Benoit family deaths. The third paragraph of the article originally read: "Officials would not say how the family died, other than to say they weren't shot to death." The third paragraph of the article has been changed to read: "Officials were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide." Furthermore, the lieutenant on the case, Lt. Tommy Pope, said the three were actually found at their home at around 2:30 p.m., not 4:00 p.m. like originally reported by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution. The lieutenant said results of autopsies were expected Tuesday.

Update (Jun 25th):

The Associated Press has issued the following on the Benoit tragedy, which is quickly being picked up my major news outlets.

Wrestler Benoit, Wife and Son Found Dead

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday.

Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

Update (Jun 25th):

Wrestling Champ Chris Benoit Found Dead With Family
    Death Comes a Day After Wrestler Canceled Pay-Per-View Appearance
    abc news

Wrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son, Daniel, were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. The deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide, authorities told ABC News.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check." When sheriffs arrived at the Benoits' home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

There were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation. Pope told ABC News that his department is looking at this situation as a "possible double murder, suicide."

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but he would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. However, it could be weeks before there is a result.

Benoit, 40, was scheduled to spar against C.M. Punk in a pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston for the Extreme Champion Wrestling title. But Benoit canceled before the event, citing personal reasons.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Benoit was known in the ring as the "Canadian Crippler."

Following the announcement of the deaths, World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement: "Chris was beloved among his fellow superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and toward his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

WWE announced that it would drop its planned Monday night line-up on the USA Network to air a three-hour tribute to Benoit.

In a sport known for bravado and bullying, Benoit was very much beloved and respected by his peers. He was passionate about his profession and served as a mentor to many younger, up-and-coming performers. As an indication of how much the fans enjoyed him, when the crowd in Houston's Toyota Center learned Sunday night that he wouldn't be there, they chanted, "We want Benoit!"

Benoit's wife was also in the wrestling business as a valet and manager. She was known as "Woman." The two met while they both worked for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling, which was owned by Ted Turner until Vince McMahon's WWE bought it out.

Update (Jun 25th):

Just saw a Fox news Alert about benoits death. They showed comments from wwe.comm and a littl about benoit but they also say that Associated press are reporting that this is being treated as a homicide.

Update (Jun 25th):

Word is spreading that Chris Benoit, Nancy Benoit and their son Daniel were found dead in the Benoit home today. Benoit's other children from his previous marriage were not at the home.

Update (Jun 25th):

The following press release was sent out on the Canadian News Wire moments ago:

WWE(R) Superstar Chris Benoit Found Dead

STAMFORD, CT, June 25 /CNW/ - World Wrestling Entertainment was informed today by authorities in Fayetteville County, Ga., that WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son were found dead in their home. Authorities are investigating, but no other details are available at this time.

Instead of its announced programming for tonight on USA Network, WWE will air a three-hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss.

WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

Carl DeMarco, President of WWE Canada, added, "I am deeply saddened over the loss of Chris Benoit. My heartfelt thoughts and sympathy go out to his parents and family. My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend. Chris was always first-class - warm, friendly, caring and professional... one of the best in our business."

Update (Jun 25th):

Professional Wrestler Chris Benoit, Family Found Dead in Georgia Home
    Monday, June 25, 2007
    Fox news

Professional wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their 9-year-old son Daniel were found dead in the family's Georgia home Monday, the Fayette County Sheriff's Office confirmed to MyFoxGeorgia.com.

Authorities are on the scene and, "an investigation is ongoing," a spokesperson told reporters for the site.

Officials were said to not be commenting to the press on the case, but the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported cops saying the deaths were not gun-related.

World Wrestling Entertainment released a statement breaking the news earlier. It said that the WWE was "deeply saddened," and that instead of its announced programming for tonight on USA Network, it will air a three-hour tribute to Benoit.

Benoit, 40, was supposed to appear on a pay-per-view event last night, but didn't. The WWE said there was a "family emergency" that prevented the former world heavyweight champ from attending.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the statement read.

Benoit was known for his famous move, the "Crippler Crossface."

Original article can be found here.

Update (Jun 25th):

Pro wrestler, family found dead in Fayetteville home

By Saeed Ahmed, Kathy Jefcoats
    The Atlanta-Journal Constitution
    Published on: 06/25/07

A professional wrestler and his family were found dead inside their house in Fayette County Monday afternoon.

Authorities confirmed that Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy and their 7-year-old son were found dead at the home on Quarters and Redwine roads in Fayetteville about 4 p.m.

Officials would not say how the family died, other than to say they weren't shot to death.

Benoit, 30, was a Canadian wrestler who most recently fought as part of the World Wrestling Entertainment.

The organization said on its Web site said that Monday night's broadcast of "Raw" on the USA Network will "serve as a tribute to Chris Benoit and his family."

Original article can be found here.

Update (Jun 25th):

wwe.com is reporting that tonight’s Raw on USA Network will serve as a tribute to Chris Benoit and his family. WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family’s relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

Update (Jun 25th):

We are still awaiting further details, we are is extremely saddened to report that former WWE and WCW World champion Chris Benoit and his wife, former WCW and ECW personality Nancy "Woman" Benoit were both found dead today in Atlanta, Georgia. Obviously this will be a huge developing story in the days to come but at this point.

We at UOWForums would like to express our deepest condolences to the Benoits' family, friends, and fans at this time.

A meeting is currently ongoing at WWE TV and it is expected that tonight's three hour Raw will now be dedicated to Benoit's memory.

6:09 Update: WWE.com issued the following statement this afternoon: "WWE is sad to report that Chris Benoit and his family have been found dead in their home. Police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths. Tonight's Raw will be a tribute to Chris and his family."

IMO a true wrestling legend R.I.P

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update (Jun 25th):

Condolences:

TNA Wrestling posted the following message on their website, TNAWrestling.com:

TNA MOURNS THE LOSS OF CHRIS BENOIT

Everyone in the TNA family joins the entire wrestling world in mourning the untimely passing of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel.

Many TNA staff and stars worked closely with Chris throughout his career and we are all shocked and saddened to lose a friend and legendary competitor. Benoit was considered a consummate professional both in and out of the ring.

As details develop, those who knew and admired Chris are shocked and saddened to hear of he and his family's untimely passing.

Please keep Chris and the Benoit family in your thoughts and prayers during this time of tragedy.

-----------------------------

WWE star Gregory Helms wrote the following on his blog at blog. myspace.com/ gshelms:

Monday, June 25, 2007
    To my friend Chris Benoit R.I.P.

I was sitting here at my computer when I got a call informing me of the death of Chris Benoit and his family. Other than saying that my thoughts go out to to his remaining family, I don't know what to say. Chris had just called me on Thursday to check on me as he has every week since my surgery and now days later I find out that he's gone. He was my friend. This hurts! This f**ing sucks!!!! Rest in peace my friend! Love you!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Personal thoughts:

No matter what has occured in Chris benoits personal life, Benoit was a huge influence to me in my wrestling enjoyment and I was a huge Benoit fan. I will truly miss him as IMO he was one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time. He didn't need gimmicks, he just got the job done and was entertaining in all his matches. He showed that wrestling is not all about gimmicks but if you can wrestle, you can put on just as good a show. This is how I shall remember the Crippler and forever enjoy the entertainment he has given me.

R.I.P man ....

this sucks, especially for the company and the fans. this crushes the vince angle. wut do they do from here?

i cant believe it how sad benoit was truly one of the best in the world...

Benoit- Best Pure Wrestler on the Planet by a long way. You Were great man You will be missed!!
    Upside Down means I'm better than you
    :paj::mod:
    Disclaimer: Had to blow Admins for Upside Down.
    I'm not a troll...I just play one on the Internet.

Ring Crew

I feel physically sick after hearing this news

R.I.P Chris, the greatest wrestler of all time IMO, wrestling won't be the same without you.

Ring Crew

It's unbelievably hard to take in, Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle were always the two pure wrestlers argued as who was the best, and IMO Benoit was the better of the two. We were heartbroken for Eddie Guerrero - I admit, I cried for him - but as with Guerrero, i've not grown too emotional yet, but I know the second Raw starts that will likely change. But not just to lose Wrestling's Greatest, but his wife and (possibly) children? It's heartbreaking.

I've heard several theories, but hopefully we find out it's been a horrible (unlikely) accident, say a gas leak or something, unlike such other ideas I've heard passed around, murder, suicide, murder/suicide following...it's horrible and doesn't bear thinking of.

Chris Benoit - part of the reason I began watching Wrestlng - will be greatly missed by myself, and all those whos lives he has touched.
    Last edited by Hifo; 06-26-2007 at 02:45 AM.

Chris Benoit, a true ring technician, at first I read the headline I didn't believe, I didn't want to believe it, one minute he was most likely scheduled to win the ECW Title in what I assumed would of been a great match against CM Punk and now this... he will be missed.

Credit: [Myst.]

Credit: W-OLF

On the bench!

PW Headlines stated that Benoit called in to WWE Sunday and said he would be unable to make it back as his family was ill and they were spitting up blood
    Rest in Peace

Rest In Peace Benoit. I just hope they don't make a joke of Benoits death like they did with Eddie Guerreros. You were a wrestling legend, who's career was cut short. You will always be in our hearts.

This is very shocking to me. Benoit was one of the greats and a legend in wrestling. I wonder what happened that caused this tragedy. R.I.P. Benoit

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast