Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "N" Word

Ring Crew

I think it depends on the context and the way you say it, rather than the actual word itself. If a 'friendly' white person said to a black person 'hey *****', then the black person would not be offended. Yet if an aggressive, ignorant white person said 'hey *****', then the black person would be offended (generalisation here).

So I think it really depends on the manner in which you say the word '******' which depicts its meaning.

^Why even leave room for misconceptions or misunderstandings? It's easier to just not use the word in any form and in any situation.

Ring Crew

I didnt say to leave room for it. Read it again.

I understand what you posted. You said it depends on the context. My point is that's it's easier to just avoid using the word in any manner or context. You won't have to wonder if it's the right time or the right pronunciation.

It is just a word, it is the people that choose to be offended by it.

IT not a word it a wrong given to my ancestors by the white slaves to belittle my ancestors. So if this world can be without that word i would be very grateful

Watch by the 2nd page we will have someone acting like a real McAsshole and use that word just to get banned and annoy us.
    Two beautiful young, and respected women wrestlers. R.I.P The Fabolous Moolah we'll miss you

*notices that the debate forum probably would have been a better place for this thread*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Acid
    It is just a word, it is the people that choose to be offended by it.
    It's true that just about every insult is meaningless until people choose to respond to it and be offended by it. That's what makes it a "bad word". What I'm saying is that instead of trying to convince millions of people not to be offended by one word, it would be much easier to exclude that word from your vocabulary. I'm not suggesting anyone censor themselves, but I really can't see any situation that would require you to use that word.

It's just like how in an airport you wouldn't play around and call someone a terrorist or yell out the word "BOMB!", there shouldn't be any reason to use the "N" word in everyday life unless you are distinctively trying to insult or offend someone. If you'll notice, I have refrained from using it this entire discussion and yet the discussion is specifically about that word.
    Last edited by Assassin™; 06-02-2006 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin™
    *notices that the debate forum probably would have been a better place for this thread*
    It's true that just about every insult is meaningless until people choose to respond to it and be offended by it. That's what makes it a "bad word". What I'm saying is that instead of trying to convince millions of people not to be offended by one word, it would be much easier to exclude that word from your vocabulary. I'm not suggesting anyone censor themselves, but I really can't see any situation that would require you to use that word.

It's just like how in an airport you wouldn't play around and call someone a terrorist or yell out the word "BOMB!", there shouldn't be any reason to use the "N" word in everyday life unless you are distinctively trying to insult or offend someone. If you'll notice, I have refrained from using it this entire discussion and yet the discussion is specifically about that word.
    I know, I don't use the word either for common courtesy cause I know people DO choose to be offended by it and there is no real reason to use it at all. Just I wish people would not be offended by so much, so easily. Call me what you want...honkey, whore, slut, bitch, dike, wench, junkie, druggie, ****, hippie bitch, bimbo, blonde, dumbass, pothead, burnout, ect and I won't care cause I choose not to. I wish more people would do this instead of taking EVERYTHING badly. We live in an age where everything needs to be politically correct. For instance we are supposed to refer to blacks as "African American". What kind of horse shit neutral term is that? Most of them aren't from Africa...in fact some come from Jamaica, or other places. Its just words are words and if you want to base a country on freedom and have one of the principals freedom of speach then don't say what is and isn't acceptable. Thats why the FCC is a load of shit, there to restrain our freedom of speech. It has gotten ridiculous, we have to restrain what we say or do because it my offend others. Well that is their problem in my opinion, you should have the freedom to say what you want. I am not saying using the N word is good thing and that I would say it or encourage people to say it. I am saying that people should have the FREEDOM to say what they want.

And to the original poster since I never directly replied to the thread, must have been too high to remember? :dunno:

The reason is coming from a white person, black people will probably see it as racist. But amongst themselves it is considered a good remark. Stupid? yes, but it is the way it is. Don't know why a white person, or anyone for that matter, wants to refer to eachother as my ***** but whatever floats your boat. But you sort of have a point, racism is a little lopsided now. The prime example that comes to mind is comedians. If you watch a black or minority comedian...(Dave Chappelle, Mencia, Chris Rock, ect) Their main focus is usually race and they make jokes about white and black people or all races without any hastle; however, if a white person makes a racist joke it can be seen as a big deal. Its just the way things are.

We live in an age where everything needs to be politically correct. For instance we are supposed to refer to blacks as "African American". What kind of horse shit neutral term is that? Most of them aren't from Africa...in fact some come from Jamaica, or other places. Its just words are words and if you want to base a country on freedom and have one of the principals freedom of speach then don't say what is and isn't acceptable.
    I'm kind of glad you've pointed this out. I wrote a research paper on this last year. The following is completely my own philosophy and should not be considered to be or used as a professional reference.

The term "African American" is even more politically incorrect than "black person" when referring to race. What we commonly use to determine race is skin color. What would we call someone who has white skin living in the United States, but who was born in South Africa? (I actually know someone like this. They were very confused on what to put on their driver's license form.) Technically, this person is an African American. This classification comes from no other consideration rather than country of origin. It is apparent that we as a society have confused race with nationality when categorizing Black Americans. If you look on virtually every government form or application, for instance the U.S. Census, you will see categories for people coming from other parts of the world. If you are from Mexico and now are a citizen of the States, you are labeled a Mexican American. If you’re from Australia, you are Australian American. If you’re from China, you are considered Chinese American. Ironically, where it gets tricky is classifying people who were actually born in America.

Because this is such a diverse and stereotype-filled country, certain people don’t feel comfortable being grouped and classified with the rest of Americans as a whole, so somewhere along the line, we decided that it is “politically correct” to have different classifications for people born in the same country. We now have classifications for Asian Americans, Latin Americans, Caucasian Americans, and of course, “African” Americans. These labels were the U.S. government’s sad attempts at trying to push discrimination and social inequalities under the preverbal rug.

For the most part it has been successful. It is not a common complaint among Black Americans that they are called African Americans. They are more focused on solving more significant racial barriers that actually affect their standard of living. Just because no one is complaining doesn’t mean that the term “African American” is correct, it just means people have decided not to concern themselves with something that is not positively or negatively affecting them.

In summary, if you are born in the United States of America you are simply an American. Country or continent of origin has nothing to do with race and should never be used in the title of a racial category.
    I am not saying using the N word is good thing and that I would say it or encourage people to say it. I am saying that people should have the FREEDOM to say what they want.
    I really wish I could agree with you here. It would be great for everyone to have the freedom to do and say what he or she wants. The only setback is that you cannot trust the American public. We as a society as a whole do not have the self-control and responsibility required to moderate ourselves and function efficiently without some set of rules and guidelines. I agree that the current system that is in place is a poor excuse as a means to guide us in the right direction, but it is obviously very difficult to design a system that will successfully accommodate the needs of both the extremely conservative activist sect of our country as well as someone who views are as liberal as yours. I am glad that in this country there is at least a somewhat rational middle ground between complete censorship and complete freedom of speech.
    The reason is coming from a white person, black people will probably see it as racist. But amongst themselves it is considered a good remark. Stupid? yes, but it is the way it is. Don't know why a white person, or anyone for that matter, wants to refer to eachother as my ***** but whatever floats your boat. But you sort of have a point, racism is a little lopsided now. The prime example that comes to mind is comedians. If you watch a black or minority comedian...(Dave Chappelle, Mencia, Chris Rock, ect) Their main focus is usually race and they make jokes about white and black people or all races without any hastle; however, if a white person makes a racist joke it can be seen as a big deal. Its just the way things are.
    Let me start off first by saying that I think Carlos Mencia is the biggest moron on television. I don’t know what Comedy Central executives were thinking when they decided to actually spend money on someone that brainless. His show is a piece of shit and is loaded with some of the most ignorant generalizations I’ve ever seen. It should be called Mind of a Moron. I really don’t know where he gets most of his stuff. Many of the stereotypes that he uses aren’t even true. He is a great example of everything that is wrong with this country.

Now that I got that off my chest, I’ll continue. Those TV shows are a good example of how gullible and easily amused the American public really is. If you’ve spent any time around urban teenagers in the past 3 years or so, there is no doubt that you have probably heard the phrase: “I’m Rick Jaaames, bitch!” I still don’t get how that’s supposed to be funny. I’ve seen the episode a couple of times and I’m aware of who Rick James is, I just don’t see how adding the word “bitch” after saying his name is supposed to be funny. Anyway, I’m getting off my point. My point is that Americans are very formidable, gullible, and easy to convince. A lot of them have seen some of the above mentioned shows and others shows like them and have come away with the notion that saying the “N” word isn’t that big of a deal. I am not out to change everyone’s mind and try to stop them from saying it, I just want people to be aware of exactly what is coming out of their mouths. It would be nice if everyone was enlightened enough to make rational decisions on their own, but obviously even our entertainers can’t make those decisions correctly.

Okay.

*Moved to the debate forum*

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast