Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Default Manchester United reaches Champions League final

Paul Scholes celebrates scoring with United teammate Carlos Tevez on Tuesday.
    Manchester United reached the Champions League final on Tuesday, beating FC Barcelona 1-0 to set up an all-English final.

Paul Scholes' 25-yard strike in the 14th minute at Old Trafford sent the Red Devils to the May 21 final in Moscow after having drawn 0-0 at Barcelona in last week's first leg of the semifinals.

United will face either Chelsea or Liverpool in the title match.

The two face off in the second leg of their semifinal on Wednesday at Stamford Bridge in London having drawn the first leg 1-1.

The victory puts United into the title match for the third time, and gives Scholes another chance at one, having been suspended when it beat Bayern Munich in the 1999 championship. It also will give Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson an opportunity for a second European crown.

Having won nine Premier League and five FA Cup titles since arriving at Old Trafford in 1986, Ferguson frequently has expressed frustration at an inability to win the European Champions Cup more often.

"Well, we're there and the important thing is they we are there and it doesn't matter who we play," Ferguson said. "That will look after itself when it comes around.

"We needed a fantastic performance tonight and I think we got one. With our play at times up front we could have scored three or four goals."

The loss added to Barcelona's disappointment this season, having already been eliminated from the Spanish championship.

Coach Frank Rijkaard didn't think it was time to step down, however.

"No. That thought has not entered my head," he said. I have no intention of leaving.

"The players in the dressing room are very down, sad and disappointed. But it's easy to kick people when they are down. Instead they need help and support...to lift them, so they can show their courage and perform well between now and the end of the season. I am proud of the fact that they gave everything tonight."

With Wayne Rooney unavailable because of a hip injury, United fielded Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack.

After creating few chances in the first leg, United started quickly Tuesday only to commit mistakes and send errant passes for the first 30 minutes.

Barcelona threatened in the opening two minutes, however, when Lionel Messi darted past one defender and was brought down by Scholes near the corner of the area.

But the free kick was blocked, and United soon punished the missed opportunity.

Ronaldo's run through the center was blocked by a tackle from Gianluca Zambrotta. He inexplicably played the ball to Scholes, whose swerving shot with the outside of his boot curled inside the right post.

"It was a fantastic goal," Ferguson said. "I don't think we can expect Paul Scholes to score 10-15 goals a season like he used to do when he was younger.

"But he certainly delivered one tonight for us. It makes up for the all the goals that he can't score because of his age now. It was a marvellous moment for him."

After a lively early spell, Messi disappeared from the game. But he produced another run at the United defence in the 55th minute before tamely shooting wide. A minute later, Tevez, swapped passes with Ronaldo and his close-range shot was pushed over the bar by Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes.

With Barcelona needing only one accurate shot to advance on away goals, United remained focused when former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry replaced Andres Iniesta in the 60th.

Rijkaard brought on the 17-year-old Bojan Krkic for the unimpressive Samuel Eto'o in the 72nd, but it was Henry who went closest with a climbing header from a corner that was directed straight to goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar.
    CBC
    'Without Order Nothing Can Exist - Without Chaos Nothing Can Grow'

Wasnt the best performance we had put on in the Champions League at all but it was a good game overall and i was very impressed by certain individuals from both sides. Fantastic strike by Scholes too and i look forward to seeing who we shall be facing in the all English final.

Current Rank
    Prestige Level 3

Level 48

Ring Crew

win or lose still the best club in the world- scholes shot was amazing- for someone who hasnt scored in a long time

Remember The Name

Would have been a completely different story if Ronaldinho wasn't injured.

What is Greatness? How do you define it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Will View Post
    Would have been a completely different story if Ronaldinho wasn't injured.
    As good as he is Barcelona just didnt perform all that well on the night and although he might have made a difference i dont think it would have been enough. They have had a very disappointing season and even the usually excellent Eto'o was poor. Messi however was outstanding and im impressed by him everytime i see him play.

Current Rank
    Prestige Level 3

Level 48

Remember The Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Drakan View Post
    As good as he is Barcelona just didnt perform all that well on the night and although he might have made a difference i dont think it would have been enough.
    All they would have needed was ONE goal. That's it. If they had scored one goal at Old Trafford they would have advanced. They also were scoreless in the first leg at Camp Nou. One goal there would have sent this into penalty kicks, and we both know which side would have had the advantage there. Ronaldinho would have made all the difference. It would have been a completely different story had he played in either game, and especially if he had played in both.

What is Greatness? How do you define it?