Phil's note: Normally, when I conduct interviews with professional wrestlers, there is some sort of show or an autograph signing. This time though, there isn't. Velvet Sky, known on the independent circuit as Talia Madison, already appeared in Poughkeepsie on April 20. At the signing, she and fellow TNA wrestler Awesome Kong told me that they could not do an interview with me at the signing without first going through TNA Wrestling.

Velvet Sky, in real life — 26-year-old Jamie Szantyr of Waterbury, Conn.— regretted not being able to do the interview at Collector's Realm, so she gave me the appropriate contact information to get an interview done.

I'd like to thank Velvet Sky and TNA for agreeing to do the interview. Unfortunately for those in Poughkeepsie, she is not scheduled to appear on TNA's live event at Mid-Hudson Civic Center on May 17. But here's my telephone interview with Velvet Sky.

Phil Strum: Tell me about your background and how you broke into the wrestling business. When was it and how old were you?

Velvet Sky: I was 20 years old. It was back in the end of 2001. I have always been a wrestling fan. Growing up when I was younger, with my dad, I used to watch it. In my high school years, I kind of got out of it. I played sports in high school and I was always athletic, so I wanted to do something athletic after high school. I trained at [former ECW wrestler] Jason Knight's House of Pain.

PS: I've read where you've said "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Elizabeth influenced you.

VS: I followed them in my early childhood days. I can remember back then seeing Elizabeth coming to the ring in her fashionable dresses and Macho Man coming out with his flashy attire and him talking on the mic. I didn't really know who they were back then but they caught my eye. They were the whole package.

PS: So you must think it's pretty cool that TNA has a Macho Man and Elizabeth gimmick going now ("Black Machismo" Jay Lethal and So Cal Val)?

VS: I think it's great. Keep their spirits alive.

PS: Tell me a little bit about what it's like to be a woman breaking into the wrestling business. There's fewer spots and different expectations.

VS: There's fewer spots because that other company keeps hiring these models that can't even wrestle. And for the indie girls who work their asses off, there's limited opportunities. Instead, they hire all these models.

I'm not a fan of that at all. A lot of them say, "Well, it's my dream to be a pro wrestler." That's a lie. If it was your dream, you'd be in wrestling school instead of modeling school.

I got lucky anyways. I came into TNA right around the time they were starting the women's division. I contacted [TNA director of talent relations and former wrestler] Terry Taylor a month prior to "Bound for Glory" [TNA's pay-per-view where they expanded their women's division]. I gave him my contact info. Then, Terry and I talked on the phone.

"Bound for Glory" was not long after that. I was in touch with TNA at the right time.

PS: What's it been like in TNA?

VS: It's great. I've heard that the Knockouts have been among the highest-rated segments on the show for months. We're not prancing around in bra-and-panties and lingerie. We're hard-hitting. When we throw forearms and punches and elbows, you feel those. I can promise you that. I can promise you that.

PS: I believe you. What's been the highlight for you so far in TNA?

VS: Just the recognition. I'm still new to the company. Just that so many people know who I am and my background and want to learn about me. I was told, even from some news sources that Angelina Love and I, for the past four months, have been among the highest-rated segments on the show. It's nice to see that some people might be tuning in just to see me and Angelina Love.

PS: There's been speculation online that perhaps TNA could spin the Knockouts off into their own show.

VS: It would be even better. We've had some of the highest-rated segments among the fans and people are watching and are interested.

PS: You don't think it might water down the product a bit?

VS: It could. But it could work if it's done right. If it's not shoved down people's throats. It might have a good chance of flopping even if we did shove it down people's throats. I'm happy with what we're doing now though too.

PS: Just breaking into TNA. Did you work there before? Did you have any other connections in there already?

VS: Traci Brooks was really pushing for me. She's a really good friend of mine. She was pushing for me to get in there.

We're having a great time. I look forward to going to TNA every two weeks that we do it.

We have a great group of girls. Nobody looks the same. Everyone has something different to offer. We have something called variety! Everybody is just doing their thing.

PS: Is there someone who influenced you early in your career or that was supportive to you early on?

VS: There's so many, but one that sticks out is Francine from ECW. She helped me a lot along the way. What to do. She taught me different things and was really helpful to me. I learn a little something from every girl I wrestle. I learn from every girl I work with. I learn about myself and I learn different moves.

PS: Tell me about this battle royal that you have coming up at "Sacrifice."

VS: It's a battle royal, elimination-style. The winner of the match gets a shot at TNA Knockouts Champion Awesome Kong. The loser gets their head shaved.

PS: I'm not sure who's got it worse out of those two.

VS: Well, I would think the loser wouldn't be too happy. I'm hoping, maybe I'll get eliminated first or something. I don't want my hair to go.

PS: Why the name change from Talia Madison to Velvet Sky when you got into TNA?

VS: I own the rights to Talia Madison. That was my name on the indies since I started. TNA wanted to market me in their own name.

On the indie shows, the announcers say "Talia Madison, that's TNA's Velvet Sky." So it helps people that might not know it's me. Make sure people know I'm the same person.

PS: What would you most like to accomplish in the rest of your career?

VS: To stay healthy and keep doing this as long as my body allows me to.

Poughkeepsie Journal