Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Default TPW Interview with Glenn Jacobs (aka “Kane”)

You never know who you are going to meet at political conventions. That’s part of what I enjoy about them.

You’re likely to meet authors, lawyers, activists, past elected officials, present office holders, reigning world heavyweight wrestling champions, candidates for office at all levels and…

…wait…professional wrestlers?

OK, you may not be likely to meet those at a political convention unless, of course, you’re at the Libertarian National Convention.

One of the convention attendees certainly stands out this year. You can’t miss him because he’s six foot, eight inches tall and weighs 300 pounds. He’s the current ECW World Heavyweight Champion…and he also happens to be a Libertarian.

I’ve gotten to know him as Glenn Jacobs from Tennessee. Professional wrestling fans know him as “Kane”, one of that industry’s biggest stars.

Jacobs was available to the media for a special meet and greet on Friday evening here in Denver. Once the meet and greet was over, he sat down for a special extended interview for Third Party Watch.

The Champ said he’s always been “libertarian-leaning” but what convinced him to become a Libertarian Party member was the Kelo vs. New London Supreme Court decision surrounding the use of eminent domain.

Jacobs said the ruling solidified “…de facto government ownership of all property in the United States, which is the definition of communism.” Property rights are among the political and economic issues that call for freedom-based solutions and are what attracts him to the LP.

More importantly, he says, is the consistent application of principles he sees the LP promote on all issues that impresses him.

Jacobs is an avid reader with a specific interest in economics, particularly the Austrian school of thought on the subject. “One of the things that drives me” he explained matter-of-factly, “is monetary studies. You can’t have a free economy as long as the medium of exchange can be manipulated.”

While having a celebrity in our midst has been fun for many in attendance, Jacobs seems to me focused not on his notoriety, but on the people he likes to learn from. One of his favorite parts about being at his first political convention is that “…it’s neat to meet some of the people whose books I’ve read.”

He had nothing but praise for Dr. Walter Block and his “Introduction to Economics for Libertarians’ breakout session (I attended that as well – it was very good).

What about the stereotype of athletes in general – not to mention professional wrestlers in particular – as being somewhere below the genius level of people (I’m writing this as delicately as I can…he is 6’8” and the current world champion, after all…)?

“Oh, man, people would be shocked at the conversations we have in the locker room.”

Jacobs explained that he’s not the only person on the WWE roster who pays close attention to politics. Property rights, the presidential election, business regulations. These all apparently get discussed as the members of the WWE roster lace up their boots in between stints in the squared circle.

The size and diversity of wrestling’s audience, he says, is significant. Recently, Sens. McCain, Obama and Clinton all recorded video messages for the WWE’s fans in hopes of winning over votes in a venue that would not have even been considered as a campaign vehicle just five or six years ago.

“Our audience is a microcosm of the American public. It’s all races, ages and incomes.”

When asked about his opinions of where the Libertarian Party should go from this point, Jacobs said the party should take its cue from Ron Paul and offer sound solutions to not only the headline issues but also the others issues that highlight the LP’s principles.

He wants to see voters be presented with “…an uncompromising vision of freedom and liberty” and singled out increasing government watchfulness of Americans. The “surveillance state”, as he called it, is not only an example of something he says people should know about but also something that he believes sets the Libertarian Party apart from the two larger parties.

When it comes to winning over voters and new members, Jacobs noted that semantics and definitions might be getting in the way to some degree. Noting the budgetary irresponsibility by Republicans, he says fiscal conservatives have been “left behind” by the GOP.

He’s not convinced these people were a good fit for the Republican Party, anyway. “Some of these people are misidentified [by the label of ‘conservative’]” and should be a prime target for the LP, in his view, because many people who have been labeled as “conservative” apply a small-government outlook to issues that extend beyond money matters.

One message he wants to get across to everyone, regardless of party, is to pay attention and get involved: “…you don’t think that government touches you, but it does.”

When asked about a possible future in politics after his wrestling days are over, Jacobs said he’s not ruling it out.

Running for some office is a possibility, but not something he’s planning or even considering at this point. The more likely route for him, he says, would be something involving political analysis and commentary.

For right now, though, Glenn Jacobs is happy to be one of the newer LP Life Members even though his schedule does not allow much time for political activism.

thirdpartywatch.com

thanks for the read ryan
    EYES OF THE INSANE