Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Roma v Bordeaux Preview

Roma will be hoping to have forward Mirko Vucinic fit in time for tomorrow's Champions League Group A showdown.

Vucinic is fighting against the clock to recover from a right knee injury which saw him miss Saturday's league game at Chievo.

The Montenegrin's absence did not hinder Roma at the weekend though, with Jeremy Menez's goal handing the Eternal City giants a 1-0 triumph.

Luciano Spalletti's men have reason to be upbeat ahead of their midweek showdown at the Stadio Olimpico.

Saturday's outcome marked Roma's fifth consecutive triumph, including their 3-1 Champions League success at CFR Cluj, and lifted the Giallorossi to 13th in the Serie A standings.

Moreover, Roma go into their final group game a point clear of Chelsea at the top of the standings, needing only a draw from Tuesday's encounter against the French side to progress to the next round.

"It's clear my team are in good condition," said Spalletti. "We've played good games in both the domestic competition and in Europe.

"The team has proved they are in good condition and can overcome the absence of important players.

"Even from a psychological point of view we are well."

With opponents Bordeaux needing three points to assure themselves of a place in the last 16, Roma's French defender Philippe Mexes knows his team will face a battle from start to finish come Tuesday.

"This is a crucial game for both teams," he said. "But we must continue to show what we have proved in recent weeks.

"We are focused and we know at home our rivals will find it difficult to beat us."

The hosts will be without injured trio Max Tonetto, Alberto Aquilani and David Pizarro.

Should Vucinic fail to recover, Roma will play with Menez and Julio Baptista in support of captain Francesco Totti in attack.

Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud believes the scenario the teams face heading into the match will better suit Les Girondins.

With the French side two points adrift of the group leaders, only a win will suffice in the Italian capital.

"It is true we are in a context where it is double or quits, a decisive match that reminds you of a cup final," he said.

"For us, this kind of game is perhaps easier to prepare for in terms of tactics.

"We absolutely have to win while Roma could have a little hesitation regarding whether to hold on for a draw or qualify themselves by going for the win."

Bordeaux were unlucky to go down 3-1 in the first pool match between the two teams at the start of October.

They were a goal up and completely dominating Roma when centre-half Henrique was given his marching orders, somewhat harshly, for use of the elbow.

Roma woke from their torpor heading into the final half hour and grabbed three goals in 19 minutes as Bordeaux wilted.

Henrique will not have a chance to make up for his indiscretion at the Stade Chaban-Delmas, the Brazilian not part of Laurent Blanc's 21-man squad because of a calf injury.

Henri Saivet also misses out because he is ill but goalkeeper Ulrich Rame, winger Jussie and central midfielder Pierre Ducasse all return.

Rame has been troubled by a nagging adductor complaint in recent weeks but the veteran custodian is set to take the place of Mathieu Valverde between the sticks.

espnstar.com

Default Barcelona v Shakhtar Preview

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is set to give his fringe players a chance to impress in tomorrow's Champions League match.

Guardiola, whose side are already guaranteed top spot in Group C after picking up 13 points so far, gave eight senior players some time off following Saturday's 4-0 league triumph over Valencia and will make a host of changes for the Shakhtar match.

Among those players given a break were Lionel Messi, Victor Valdes, Carles Puyol, Xavi, Dani Alves and the hat-trick hero against Valencia, Thierry Henry, as Guardiola keeps one eye on next weekend's Primera Liga showdown against Real Madrid.

Of those players, only Henry has been called up for tomorrow's game, while Samuel Eto'o is also rested even though he missed out against Valencia through suspension.

With those players given a break and Andres Iniesta and Gabriel Milito still injured, Guardiola has looked to the reserve team he was in charge of last season for reinforcements, and Victor Vazquez (21 years old), Abraham Gonzalez (23), Xavi Torres (21) and Alberto Botia (19) have all been named in an 18-man squad.

Despite already being through to the last 16 as group winners, Guardiola will not accept a drop in standards from his in-form side, who are unbeaten in 20 competitive matches, 17 of which have ended in victories.

"The game against Shakhtar serves many uses for me. I will be able to see if we can continue doing the things we have been doing well and also it will be a good opportunity to know if the players who haven't played much can come in more," said Guardiola.

"The club is also playing for prestige, money....," he added.

Looking at opponents Shakhtar, Guardiola said: "They are a very aggressive team. They have high-quality players throughout the team. They have spent a lot of money making a competitive team and they are picking good results."

Like Barca, Shakhtar also have little to play for except pride in tomorrow's clash at the Nou Camp with the Ukrainian outfit sure to finish in third spot following their 5-0 mauling against FC Basle last time out.

Shakhtar came within a whisker of beating the Catalan outfit in their first Group C meeting though, with Messi equalising in the 87th minute before the Argentinian superstar went onto net a 94th-minute winner for Guardiola's side.

Coach Mircea Lucescu is hoping tomorrow night will be a happier one for his team.

"It will be a very difficult game. If there is anybody who has to prove something, it's us," he said on his club's website.

"Barcelona will be relaxed, calm. This is how we should have played then. It will be a clash of ambitions. They shall try to prove they deserved that win in Donetsk, whereas we shall try to prove that win was achieved in an unfair way."

The meeting will be the final match of 2008 for Shakhtar, whose last game saw them beat Karpaty Lviv 1-0 in a league fixture on November 30.

espnstar.com

Default Celtic v Villarreal Preview

Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini will take charge of his 50th European match against Celtic on Wednesday.

Pellegrini has been in charge at El Madrigal since 2004 and during his time there he has helped turn Villarreal into one of Spain's leading sides, finishing runners-up in La Liga last season and also reaching the Champions League semi-finals in 2006.

The Yellow Submarine are already guaranteed a place in the last 16 of this year's competition, but they are battling with Manchester United for first place in the group and will therefore have plenty of reasons for wanting to turn over already-eliminated Celtic on Wednesday.

"Against Celtic, aside from the remote possibility of being first in the group there are many things to play for, such as the financial aspect and also prestige," said Pellegrini.

"I would like to celebrate it (his 50th game) with a victory and first place in the group.

"It has been five years full of memories, with a lot of joy and also some disappointments," Pellegrini added.

"The first year I remember was in the Intertoto Cup with great teams such as Atletico Madrid, then came the UEFA Cup and Champions League, in which I think we deserved to get to the final as we were better than Arsenal (in 2006) and to not get through was frustrating."

Villarreal are currently level on nine points with reigning European champions United in Group E, but they have an inferior goal difference to the English side so will need to better the Red Devils' result at home to Aalborg, or outscore them by two goals.

"It would be important to finish first, although we know that the result of this game will not clarify our next opponent because that will depend on the draw," added the 55-year-old Pellegrini.

The former River Plate boss will be without Diego Godin, Javi Venta, Joseba Llorente, Joan Capdevila and Jozy Altidore for Wednesday's clash at Celtic Park.

Godin, Venta and Llorente are injured, Spain international Capdevila is suspended following his red card against Manchester United in the previous round of fixtures, while American forward Altidore is not registered.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan is set to use the match as an opportunity to reintroduce players struggling for form and fitness.

That should mean a return to the starting line-up for Aiden McGeady and Georgios Samaras, who both came off the bench during Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Hibernian.

McGeady, who has been troubled by tendinitis in the knee, made his first appearance for five weeks at Easter Road when he came off the bench in the 71st minute, after Celtic had gone 2-0 down.

Samaras was also brought on while Celtic were trailing in the second half and Strachan indicated he would give the Greek striker a start against the Spanish side.

The former Manchester City forward has netted just once in six games since his prolific early-season form was cut short by a knee injury that required surgery.

"Some of the players might need this one," Strachan said. "Aiden and Sami might need games.

"I need to get the men who perhaps have not had many games, or who have maybe not been at the top of their form, playing so that they can find that best form."

espnstar.com

Default PSV vs Liverpool Preview

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has launched a passionate defence of Brazilian youngster Lucas ahead of their final Champions League group game against PSV Eindhoven.

The 21-year-old has his critics among the Anfield crowd, and fans gave the midfielder a rough time last month in the frustrating 0-0 draw with Fulham.

Many within the Anfield hierarchy were surprised to hear supporters booing one of their own players, and Benitez's reaction at the time was to defiantly leave Lucas on the pitch for the full 90 minutes, ignoring the clamour to replace him.

The Brazil Under-21 captain is expected to figure prominently in the side that faces PSV Eindhoven in the final group D match at the Philips Stadion, along with Robbie Keane, who has also drawn the fans' ire and was the only front-line striker in the 18 strong party that flew to Holland earlier today.

Benitez will use several of his squad players in Holland, and could rest the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jose Reina and Alvaro Arbeloa.

The Liverpool boss spoke in impassioned terms of Lucas, saying: "People just don't know how good Lucas is. He is a fantastic player, he was captain of his (Brazilian) club side (Gremio) at 19 and has already won full caps with Brazil.

"Not just any country, but Brazil. He has captained their under-21s and their Olympic team.

"He has a very good mentality. When you talk of Brazilian players you know they are skilful with ability. But Lucas is a worker, and has a very good approach.

"He can tackle, he can pass the ball and he can win in the air. He is still a very young player learning to live in a different country."

With Fernando Torres still out with a hamstring injury, and Dirk Kuyt back on Merseyside, Benitez will give Keane a role in the starting line-up.

Daniel Agger will return after being rested at Blackburn, and Jamie Carragher will have to play because the other central defender in the UEFA-registered squad is Martin Skrtel, who is injured.

Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun both played at Ewood Park, and could hold their places, but Benitez's clear annoyance with the criticism of Lucas could well see the Brazilian also given an opportunity to prove the critics wrong.

Liverpool have already qualified for the last 16 with their only objective now being to finish top of the group and overtake Atletico Madrid.

With only three points to their name so far, PSV, meanwhile, need a draw to avoid their worst ever showing in a Champions League group stage.

They also need to better the result of Marseille, who face Atletico, to progress into the UEFA Cup.

Even though Liverpool have already qualified, coach Huub Stevens is not expecting an easy ride.

He said: "Will Liverpool start with the best line-up? I don't really know but you don't like to lose.

"We want to give the supporters something to enjoy. Then the result will be okay, I'm sure about that."

Forwards Danny Koevermans (calf) and Nordin Amrabat (groin) are doubtful, while Mexico defender Carlos Salcido could be omitted after he hit out at Stevens in the local press.

Jan Kromkamp (ankle) and Ibrahim Afellay (ankle) are both set to miss out.

espnstar.com

Default Chelsea vs CFR Cluj-Napoca Preview

Luiz Felipe Scolari showed no sign of feeling the strain ahead of a game which could cost Chelsea millions if results conspire against them.

Scolari's side face Romanian minnows CFR Cluj at Stamford Bridge tomorrow night knowing that only a victory will ensure them of a place in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

The Brazilian will be the first Chelsea manager to fail to reach the next level of the competition if Cluj pull off one of the surprise results of the season and Bordeaux beat Roma.

Chelsea's home form is less than sparkling with Scolari's side having dropped 12 points in the Barclays Premier League but it remains untainted in Group A with victories over Bordeaux and group leaders Roma.

Despite the importance of Tuesday's game, Scolari was quick to denounce any suggestion that he was feeling the pace and claimed the pressure was nothing compared to managing Brazil.

"Do you know how many people live in Brazil?," said Scolari. "I was coach there and you think there is pressure here? It is zero pressure.

"The pressure was when I was coach in Brazil because all the people in that country are coaches.

"It is not the most important game of the season - it is one more game.

"If we lose, then maybe were are out. It is possible. If we lose and we are out of the Champions League, I will not feel good. But no more than that. This is life, this is football."

Scolari may be trying to defuse the importance of the tie but the club's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich will certainly not want to see them slide into UEFA Cup.

But a Bordeaux victory over leaders Roma and a Chelsea disaster at home would provide Abramovich with the ultimate footballing financial nightmare.

Much will depend on Scolari's team formation and on whether he will consider changing his system to accommodate both Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba in attack.

He is already without injured Florent Malouda and suspended Frank Lampard, but his side will be compensated somewhat by a fit again Joe Cole.

Yet Scolari was clearly trying to give nothing away when quizzed about the possible use of both strikers or opting to switch from his normal 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 against the Romanians.

"When we have time to train more with these two players and I have confidence for my system with two strikers, I will use two strikers," said Scolari. "But tomorrow, I don't know."

Chelsea's shaky progress through Group A has also underlined the importance of defender Ricardo Carvalho.

The Portugal centre-half has featured in just one of their five European games so far because of a knee injury and it is clear they have missed him.

Carvalho is not due back until Christmas at the earliest because, unlike previous managers like Jose Mourinho, Scolari refuses to rush his players back for fear of crippling them in later life.

"Some players play 60 games a season for their club and national teams and sometimes they do so with little injuries that turn into big ones in later years," said Scolari.

"But if they are not in good condition, I don't want them to play because when they get older maybe they have a problem caused by me. The philosophy of other coaches is not important.

CFR Cluj striker Yssouf Kone has already contributed to the downfall of one Chelsea manager and has warned Luiz Felipe Scolari that he could be the next one in trouble at Stamford Bridge.

Kone was in the Rosenborg side that drew 1-1 with Chelsea in their opening game of the Champions League last season.

That match turned out to be Jose Mourinho's last game in charge of the Blues before he was axed in favour of Avram Grant.

Grant was replaced by Scolari in the summer and at the same time, Kone made the switch to Cluj.

Now the Burkina Faso international has set his sights on gunning down Chelsea's current coach.

"I heard that Scolari would go back to Brazil if they didn't beat us," said Kone.

"But if Chelsea don't beat us, he will really be in trouble.

"We will try our best because it is really important for us to go back home with a result.

"Right now Chelsea are under the pressure, the biggest pressure in the group.

"Chelsea will have to work hard to beat us but it won't be easy for them.

"We will be playing without any pressure. They have big players but we are not bad either. It will be worth more than just three points to us if we win."

espnstar.com

Default Basle vs Sporting Preview

There will only be pride to play for when Sporting Lisbon travel to Basle in Champions League Group C, but Sporting midfielder Miguel Veloso insists his team will still be going all out to win.

The Portuguese side wrapped up their qualification from the group stage with back-to-back 1-0 wins over Shakhtar Donetsk, while with only a point to their name Basle are destined to finish bottom of the group.

A 5-2 defeat to Barcelona last time for Sporting means Paulo Bento's side are too far away from the Catalans to finish any higher than second in the table, but Veloso believes a win will set his side up well for the challenges which lie in wait in the knockout stage.

"We have the ambition and the desire to go as far as possible. We want to pick up more points, because they are important for the prestige of Sporting," he told Portuguese newspaper Record.

"Sporting's first objective has been met. Now we have to be able to dream a little. Whoever our opponent is, we will do our best to go as far as possible."

Sporting's quest for a win will be complicated slightly by the absence of star striker Liedson, who damaged his left knee in Sporting's 3-1 win over Amadora in the Portuguese league at the weekend.

The loss is a massive blow for Bento, as Liedson has scored in eight of Sporting's last 11 matches in all competitions, including one in each of the last four.

The Portuguese side are also without injured trio Tonel (fibula), Pedro Silva (left thigh) and Abel (right thigh), while goalkeeper Rui Patricio serves a suspension after his red card against Barca.

However, they are likely to welcome back Fabio Rochemback after he returned from a thigh injury to play the full 90 minutes against Amadora.

The injury list also means youth-team player Pedro Mendes has again been included in the squad after making the bench against Barcelona.

Basle are without Marcos Gelabert (foot), Ronny Hodel (knee) and David Abraham (right thigh), but they welcomed back Scott Chipperfield at the weekend although the Australian was set to be sidelined until next year.

The Swiss side have the worst defensive record in the competition, with 15 goals conceded at an average of three a game. One point from five games is also a joint-worst record in the group stage.

Christian Gross' side are therefore looking for a win or at least a point to restore some pride, and will be hoping young forward Fabian Frei will continue his positive week.

The 19-year-old signed a new deal with the club last week, then celebrated by scoring the third goal in a 3-1 win over Aarau.

"I have to say this week could not have been better," he told the club`s official website.

"It obviously makes me happy and also a little bit proud that my fans have seen me do so well.

"I am very happy here at FCB and hope through my performances I can give something back."

espnstar.com

Default Werder Bremen vs Inter Milan Preview

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho is expected to rest a number of his players for the Champions League clash at Werder Bremen with the club having already secured a spot in the last 16 of the competition.

The Nerazzurri will finish top of Group B with a win, although Mourinho is not convinced that would work to his team's advantage because of potential match-ups in the knockout stage.

"I don't like the idea of going through to the next stage with just eight points collected," Mourinho said.

"But looking at the other groups, I'm not sure how convenient it is for us to finish first or second in our group."

Heading into the final round of fixtures, Inter are one point clear of Panathinaikos - the side that beat them a fortnight ago.

The game against Bremen is not really at the front of Mourinho's mind, though, with the Portuguese admitting he already has one eye on the next round.

"I expect a difficult opponent in the last 16," he said. "I believe it is there where we will feel the real pressure of facing a strong rival.

"So far we have not faced too much pressure in the group, although I am responsible for the fact the team has not given its best in the Champions League."

Inter top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be among those players to be rested, meaning Brazilian striker Adriano will return to the squad.

Additionally, Mario Balotelli could replace injured striker Julio Cruz in the starting XI.

Mourinho wants Ibrahimovic fighting fit for the league clash against Chievo this weekend.

"The game against Chievo is important," said Mourinho.

"On Sunday, Juventus will host AC Milan and if we win we could extend our advantage (over Milan) in the standings."

Bremen's season is already on the brink of disaster as they lie 10th in the Bundesliga, 11 points from the summit and eight from their minimum aim before the season of qualification for the Champions League.

Their reserve team is bottom of the third division and they could also be knocked out of Europe for this season.

The only way they can prevent that is by beating the Italian champions at the Weser Stadion and hoping Panathinaikos do them a favour in at least drawing with Anorthosis Famagusta - which would be good enough for a place in the UEFA Cup.

"We have two faces which we have shown often this season," admitted coach Thomas Schaaf after Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Karlsruhe.

"We are able to play fantastic games, or downright ugly like (Karlsruhe)."

Playmaker Diego is suspended after picking up three yellow cards in the competition so far. His place will go to Mesut Ozil.

Furthermore, Naldo, Frank Baumann and Hugo Almeida all have knocks and are doubtful.

espnstar.com

Default Panathinaikos vs Anorthosis Famagusta Preview

It is a case of winner takes it all in Greece as Panathinaikos battle with Anorthosis Famagusta for a place in the Champions League knockout stages.

Anorthosis sit just a point behind second-placed Panathinaikos in Group B and whoever wins the crunch clash will progress to the next round.

That would be a remarkable achievement for the competition's surprise packages Anorthosis who qualified for the group stages for the first time this year.

The Cypriots are almost certain of a place in the UEFA Cup at least, unless Werder Bremen beat Inter Milan, and midfielder Vincent Laban claims they would be content with that.

"In both cases it wouldn't be bad," he told L'Equipe. "What we have accomplished since the beginning of the competition proves something.

"We're a bit fed up of hearing the world miracle to explain our run.

"The team plays in an organised way, very solid and when you manage to trouble Inter, Werder, Panathinaikos, and Olympiacos and Rapid Vienna in the qualifiers, it's not by luck either."

Anorthosis will take confidence from their 3-1 victory over the Greek side back in October, although they will know Panathinaikos will be out for revenge as well as qualification.

The visitors could and should have been in a better position in the group after they let a two-goal lead slip against Bremen a fortnight ago, and Laban admits that has left a bitter taste.

"Honestly, I don't know if I will manage to digest this disappointment one day," he added. "We were leading 2-0 and then with a stupid penalty we allowed them back into the game when they had been on the floor.

"We clearly lacked experience.

"At least we know what we have to do. This promises to be a passionate match in front of over 70,000 fans.

"The Greeks have come back from a long way off and it seems as if they haven't got over the defeat in the first match."

Georgois Theodotou, Paulo Costa and Savio are all injured for the visitors although goalkeeper Arian Beqaj is back in training and could take his place between the posts.

Panathinaikos head into the match knowing that a point will suffice, while victory could even see them top the group if Inter - who are already qualified - slip up at Bremen.

The Greek side looked dead and buried in the competition not too long ago, but two away victories over Inter and Bremen have left them on the verge of qualification.

Their fighting spirit has clearly not deserted them as they fought back from one-goal down with 10 men to win 2-1 against Xanthi at the weekend.

Coach Henk ten Cate, who turns 54 tomorrow, will be hoping to celebrate his birthday by seeing his side complete the job.

"I want to congratulate my players - they deserve it because of the way they played," he said. "Looking ahead, [the Anorthosis fixture] is a vital match for Greek football as a whole."

Bryce Moon, Mikael Nilsson and Gabriel have all been ruled out through injury.

espnstar.com

Default FC Porto vs Arsenal Preview

Arsenal welcome back William Gallas and Abou Diaby for the Champions League trip to Porto - but will rest captain Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.

As the Gunners have already qualified - and with one eye on Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash at Middlesbrough - full-backs Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy, strikers Emmanuel Adebayor and Robin van Persie and centre-half Kolo Toure are also staying in London.

Youngsters Aaron Ramsey, Kieran Gibbs, Gavin Hoyte, Mark Randall, Fran Merida, Jack Wilshere and Jay Simpson all make the travelling squad, which also includes midfielder Emmanuel Eboue - who was jeered off in Saturday's home game against Wigan.

Arsene Wenger will give Emmanuel Eboue the chance to silence the Arsenal boo-boys.

The Ivory Coast midfielder suffered the ignominy of being replaced minutes from the end of the 1-0 win over Wigan on Saturday following a run of poor touches which had the crowd on his back.

Eboue had just returned from a six-week spell on the sidelines and was only brought on to replace Samir Nasri during the first half.

Wenger admitted he removed the 25-year-old from the firing line because he feared another lapse in concentration could lead to his team conceding a costly late goal.

However, he sees no reason why Eboue should not be able to produce a performance in the Estadio do Dragao, where avoiding defeat would see Arsenal - who have already qualified for the last 16 - through as group winners.

"Emmanuel Eboue will start," Wenger confirmed. "He is completely in the right frame of mind.

"Of course he was disappointed for a few days but football is magic because you have the next game and in that you have the opportunity to show how good you are."

Wenger was also quick to remind Gunners fans of how fortunate they were to be watching such an exciting young team, one which deserved their full support during the game.

"You can understand everything when you are in football. However, you want your fans to be behind the team for 90 minutes," he said.

"After the game, everyone is entitled to have an opinion. We accept any opinion at the club and are open to everyone's opinion.

"But no matter what happens you still want your fans to be behind the team during the 90 minutes.

"I believe they [the fans] have been swayed by the scepticism from the media which has affected their belief, which can have consequences on the team.

"I believe they are lucky to have an extremely young team with a magnificent talent who can do extremely well.

"These players want to do well, they have the potential to do well, and they can fight against the scepticism.

"There is only one way for the fans to help that. You want your fans to be behind the team because they deserve it."

Wenger, who will reach another milestone when he takes charge of his 700th game in charge of the Gunners, insists his side will not be over-confident against Porto.

"We know when we travel in the Champions League they are always difficult games," he said.

"Maybe Porto will play with a bit less pressure because they are already qualified - and that can sometimes make them more dangerous. We will be completely focused and prepared to be at our best."

Porto boss Jesualdo Ferreira maintains there will be "no vendetta" when Arsenal come to Estadio do Dragao to decide who finishes top of Champions League Group G.

The Gunners romped to a 4-0 victory over the Portuguese side at Emirates Stadium in September - a result which actually flattered the visitors such was the dominance of Wenger's men.

Nevertheless, following away wins over both Dynamo Kiev and Fenerbahce, Porto - who won the Champions League in 2003/2004 under Jose Mourinho - have, like Arsenal, now already made sure of their place in the last 16.

Porto have never lost to an English side at home in Europe and Ferreira maintains, with the pressure off, nothing other than three points will be at stake.

"There will be no vendetta against Arsenal. Porto will be just playing with great responsibility," Ferreira said.

"It is very important to progress in this competition. It is what every player and coach wants.

"The game will be just to decide who is first or second, nothing else.

"Both teams will come here relaxed because they are already qualified, and so it should be a great game to watch.

"It is in our philosophy to win every game and we will play to do that."

History would favour the draw, which would send Arsenal through as group winners, given six of Porto's 10 previous home contests against English opposition have finished all-square.

espnstar.com

Default Man Utd vs AaB Preview

Cristiano Ronaldo seems certain to miss Manchester United's Champions League encounter with Aalborg.

Ronaldo injured a hip in Saturday's win over Sunderland but although he has been able to train, Sir Alex Ferguson feels it would be better to let the Ballon D'Or winner have further treatment ahead of the weekend visit to Tottenham.

Michael Carrick is also out with a thigh injury, although the England international should also be fit to face his former club at White Hart Lane.

Gary Neville and Ben Foster are set to start while Paul Scholes is expected to be on the bench.

Neville will captain United - but the veteran defender's days as Ferguson's first-choice full-back are numbered.

With well over 500 Red Devils appearances to his name, plus 85 England caps, it would be folly to write Neville off just yet.

But as his 34th birthday is looming in February, time is not on his side. And the emergence of Rafael this season has presented a genuine threat to what was once regarded as Neville's automatic place in the line-up.

Indeed, as Ferguson looks to change his team around ahead of a potentially hazardous trip to Tottenham on Saturday, Neville is the one who finds himself benefiting from Rafael getting a rest.

"Gary Neville will certainly play," said Ferguson. "I felt he was outstanding against Blackburn in the Carling Cup last week and we are doing exactly the right thing by not rushing him back.

"But he knows exactly what happens when a young player like Rafael breaks into the club. When they have such outstanding ability and show such outstanding form there is not a lot you can do about it.

"It is a great aspect of the game that a young boy can turn the corner and take someone's place. At the moment the performances of Rafael have been keeping Gary out."

Providing United match Villarreal's result at Celtic, they will advance into the knock-out stage as Group E winners.

"It is always better to be number one," Ferguson said. "Our experiences of finishing second in these groups has not been good and if we win it we know we have the home legs second in the last 16.

"Overall, I don't think we are doing a lot wrong in Europe. As holders the expectation has been delivered. In fact I am probably happier this season because the players have that bit more experience behind them."

Aalborg's stand-in coach Allan Kuhn is confident Liverpool, not Manchester United will win the Champions League this season.

Kuhn takes his team to Old Trafford for the final game of a 12-match stint in charge following the dismissal of Bruce Rioch.

Aalborg are unbeaten during Kuhn's time in office, a run he does concede might end against the European Cup holders.

But when asked whether he thought United would successfully defend their crown in Rome next year, Kuhn's response was emphatic.

"No. They won't win it again," he said. "Liverpool will. I am a Liverpool fan, so that is what I hope will happen.

"Manchester United are a great side, but I think it will be more difficult for them this time. Maybe they got a little luck with the John Terry penalty.

"You do need luck to win the Champions League, but there are a lot of great teams around to give them a fight."

Kuhn brings a confident squad to Old Trafford but does bemoan the loss of former Wigan star Andreas Johansson to suspension - because it costs Aalborg some of the little European experience they do have.

However, captain Thomas Augustinussen is promising United a much sterner test than they received in Denmark when the visitors ran away with the game.

Augustinussen hardly helped with one major blunder in the 3-0 loss.

Yet overall, he feels life at Aalborg has improved markedly since the change in manager.

"We haven't lost a game since Allan came in," said Augustinussen. "Some small details have been changed, which means our defence is better. That means our attack has improved as well.

"Our confidence is much higher and has kept improving since Allan took over.

"We are a better team - there is no doubt about that. We have so much self-belief. We feel we can beat any team in the world."

Rather surprisingly given his record in charge, Kuhn - who used to be Rioch's assistant - will return to his job as number two on January 1 when Magnus Pehrsson arrives from GAIS Gothenburg on a three-year contract.M

espnstar.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast