Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Celtic vs Villarreal Preview

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan has confirmed Artur Boruc will keep his place for the Champions League clash with Villarreal.

The Poland goalkeeper was beaten by a 45-yard strike from John Rankin in Sunday's 2-0 Clydesdale Bank Premier League defeat at Hibernian but Strachan will ignore calls from numerous pundits and ex-Celtic players to drop the former Legia Warsaw player.

Defender Lee Naylor is out with a virus while midfielder Barry Robson is still struggling with a thigh knock.

Strachan is refusing to listen to Boruc's critics, restricting himself to one simple statement on the matter.

"Artur is going to play and that's all I really want to say on the Artur Boruc subject," he said.

Celtic striker Scott McDonald was more lucid on the subject of the man known as the `Holy Goalie', claiming the controversial keeper has the backing of the whole dressing room.

"People can make what they want of Artur but we can see his qualities in training each day," the Australia international said.

"I back him 100% and I am delighted for him he is going to play and I'm sure he will have a good game.

"Everyone makes mistakes but it is more highlighted as a goalkeeper. Unfortunately for Artur and us at the weekend, that was the case.

"If I make a mistake up front, it's not really highlighted as much.

"But everyone in the changing room is fully behind him. He is a top lad, an honest professional and he held his hand up at the weekend and that's all you can really ask.

"It's obviously one of those ones that he might not want to look back on, but he will be going out there wanting to prove a point."

McDonald added: "I will leave it to you to decide if the criticism has been unfair, but I think so.

"Other people will always have a go at you and it's how you react to that.

"But he's a strong character as we all know so he will take it on the chin and get on with it."

Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini is surprised Celtic have nothing but pride to play for.

The Spanish club are level with leaders Manchester United and are guaranteed to be in the last 16 but Strachan's men do not even have the consolation of the UEFA Cup to fall back on.

Pellegrini, looking forward to his 50th European match in charge of the Yellow Submarine, expected Celtic to be challenging for second in the group.

"When the group was drawn, I was sure that Manchester United would be in first place and second place would be between us and Celtic," he said. "As it turned out, Celtic haven't even qualified for the UEFA Cup so I'm very surprised.

"It was a hard-fought game when we played Celtic in Spain and we didn't get the better of them until we managed to score the goal."

Villarreal have an inferior goal difference to United so will need to better the Red Devils' result at home to Aalborg, or outscore them by two goals, to top the table.

Celtic have lost only to Barcelona at home in the Champions League proper - on two occasions - but Pellegrini will take heart from the 1-1 draw Villarreal carved out when the two clubs met in Glasgow in the quarter-finals of the 2003-04 UEFA Cup.

"It does appear to be difficult to win there but we would hope to do so," he said.

"Four years ago we got a good result in Glasgow but maybe Celtic will not be playing with as many nerves."

espnstar.com

Default Dynamo Kiev vs Fenerbahce Preview

Fenerbahce travel to Dynamo Kiev with an extra incentive as both do battle to keep their European dreams alive.

Neither side have a hope of reaching the Champions League knockout stages, with Arsenal and Porto already having clinched the two Group G spots, but both will be hoping their final game in the competition is not their last in Europe.

Dynamo have a three-point advantage over Fenerbache and only need to avoid defeat to progress to the UEFA Cup, something their opponents will achieve with victory at the Lobanovsky Dynamo Stadium.

The final is set to be held at Fenerbahce's Sukru Saracoglu Stadium and the Turkish side would love nothing more than to lift the trophy on their own turf on May 20.

Moreover, if they reach the final, reports suggest they will net two million dollars.

After a stumbling start to the season Fenerbahce have started to come into their own and are now unbeaten in eight games domestically.

Coach Luis Aragones has given a rallying call to his troops to transfer that form into Europe.

Turkish newspaper Fotomac reveal he told his players: "In the league we have reached the point we wanted to.

"We have to continue on our path in Europe and if we win the game in Kiev, the path will remain open.

"From this moment on we have to bare our teeth."

Alex played at the weekend despite suffering a fever and remains a doubt for the clash.

He has nevertheless urged his team-mates pull out all the stops to take the three points because "it is a good way of redeeming ourselves for the bad start to the season".

Onder Turacy is also a doubt for the game, with Tumer Metin, Semih Senturk and Emre Belozoolu definitely out.

Fenerbahce have not won away from home in the Champions League for four years but even more remarkably that is the last time - to the day - that Dynamo won at home in the competition.

All signs indicate the game will end in a draw, as the first match between the pair did, and that would suit Dynamo coach Yuriy Semin to a tee.

"Any result that allows us to entry into the UEFA Cup round of 32 will be positive for us," he said. "I can only say that the main success criteria are based on a balanced game and patience."

Semin insists he is proud of his team whatever happens.

"First of all, I feel like we have a real team," he said. "Our players had a great chance to gain valuable experience playing against strong rivals.

"Undoubtedly, we committed some mistakes and that cost us a lot of problems. But it was a good trial for the team.

"We had a great chance to compete with the top European teams and oppose major footballers stars. Nevertheless, I think we looked pretty good."

Indeed Dynamo could have even done better had extremely late goals not seen them draw and lose to Arsenal, and lose to Porto.

Semin will be missing a host of players with Ayila Yussuf, Artem Kravets, Milos Ninkovic, Olexandr Romanchuk, Badr El Kaddouri, Oleksandr Aliyev, Oleh Husyev and Maksim Shatskikh all injured.

espnstar.com

Default Lyon vs Bayern Munich Preview

Bayern Munich coach Jurgen Klinsmann has vowed to play his strongest possible team against Lyon on Wednesday in a bid to clinch top spot in Champions League Group F.

The two teams, currently tied on 11 points, have sealed qualification for the tournament's knockout stages with a match to spare.

But first place - and with it the likelihood of an easier tie and also a home match in the second leg in the last 16 - is still up for grabs.

It means neither team are taking the showdown at the Stade Gerland lightly.

"The statistics prove it - by playing the second leg at home, the chances of getting through are bigger," said Klinsmann, looking ahead to his side's last-16 double-header.

"It is why the best Bayern team will be aligned at Lyon."

Lyon drew 1-1 with Bayern at the Allianz Arena in the first fixture between the sides so will secure first place with a goalless draw.

If the match finishes 1-1, the teams' head-to-head record will be identical and they will then be separated by goal difference, with Bayern therefore finishing top.

A bigger scoring draw will see Bayern go to the summit because away goals will count double.

Lyon are in poor form domestically, their 2-1 defeat to lowly Nantes on Saturday following up a loss at Paris St Germain and a disappointing draw at home to Valenciennes.

They are still top of the Ligue 1 table by three points, but there is no doubt their displays in Europe have been far more impressive.

"You can't compare a match at Nantes and a match in the Champions League," said Les Gones goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.

"The teams against us (in Ligue 1) give 200% and most of the time play on the counter-attack.

"It's true it's perhaps easier to prepare for a Champions League match than a championship match. Everyone's focused and wary."

Lyon coach Claude Puel has selection problems in defence heading into the match.

With Cris suspended, Mathieu Bodmer out with an adductor injury and John Mensah doubtful with a calf complaint, Puel is struggling to find a central-defensive partner for Jean-Alain Boumsong.

If Mensah fails a late fitness test, either left-back Fabio Grosso or one of midfield duo Jeremy Toulalan or Fabio Santos could fill in at the back.

With Francois Clerc and Anthony Reveillere long-term absentees with knee injuries, and 17-year-old Lionel Faure also a doubt with knee trouble, the full-back berths are also a problem for Puel.

Karim Benzema is touch and go for a return to the starting line-up after missing the last couple of weeks with a thigh injury but skipper Juninho is suspended, meaning Sidney Govou is likely to take the captain's armband.

Bayern, 2-1 winners over Hoffenheim in a top-of-the-table Bundesliga clash last Friday, travel with a fully-fit squad of players to Lyon apart from long-term injury absentee Willy Sagnol.

Franck Ribery, Bayern's France winger, will play his first Champions League match in the country of his birth.

"The most important thing is that we qualified, and we have done that," Ribery said.

"But it's true that finishing top of the pool gives you an important advantage. That's why we are playing to win or to get a scoring draw."

espnstar.com

Default Juventus vs BATE Preview

Juventus coach Claudio Ranieri will resist the temptation to send out a weakened side against BATE Borisov on Wednesday for fear of finishing second in Champions League Group H.

The Turin outfit still require a point to ensure they finish top of the standings and Ranieri stressed he has no intention of resting his key players despite Sunday's crucial Serie A clash with Scudetto rivals AC Milan.

Victory for Real Madrid over Zenit St Petersburg in the other Group H match, coupled with defeat for Juve, would deny the Bianconeri - who are two points clear of the Spanish giants - of top spot.

And that is something Ranieri desperately wants to avoid.

"It's important to finish first," he added. "When you play in Europe and do well it gives the team a lot of confidence.

"So far, things have gone well for us in this competition and that gives you the motivation to do even better.

"We know the real test will come in the last 16, where if you make a mistake you cannot recover and where a bad day can see you eliminated."

Juve captain Alessandro Del Piero could return to the team having shaken off a muscle problem which saw him miss last Sunday's 2-1 win at Lecce.

However, forward Vincenzo Iaquinta and winger Mauro Camoranesi are still unavailable through injury.

Ranieri said: "Del Piero could recover in time for the game against Bate Borisov while Camoranesi will not play."

Juve go into the game lifted by their last-gasp victory at Lecce, courtesy of a late goal from Amauri.

The result allowed the Bianconeri to remain joint-second with Milan, six points behind Serie A leaders Inter.

Despite the importance of this weekend's game, Juve midfielder Sebastian Giovinco, who scored his first league goal of the campaign at the weekend, believes his team will be fully focused on Wednesday's encounter.

"We face a difficult week but I am sure we will overcome it," Giovinco said. "The game against Milan is a battle with a Scudetto rival but the encounter against Bate is also very important."

BATE make the journey to Italy with nothing to play for except their pride.

Regardless of the result in Turin, the Belarusian side know they will finish bottom of the group after collecting just two points from five games in the competition.

However, BATE, who were the first team from Belarus to qualify for the Champions League group stage, did send a warning to Juve by pushing Real Madrid to the limit a fortnight ago.

Viktor Goncharenko's team, who last month lifted the Vysshaya Liga title, put in an inspiring performance before eventually succumbing to a 1-0 defeat against the nine-time European champions at Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium.

"If anyone had told me three months ago we would lose 1-0 to Real Madrid I would not have been too disappointed," BATE defender Aleksandr Yurevich said.

"But it's a pity because we had our chances."

The visitors will be without defender Vladimir Rzhevski, who is unavailable with an ankle injury.

espnstar.com

Default Real Madrid vs Zenit St Petersburg Preview

New Real Madrid coach Juande Ramos is putting all thoughts about this weekend's clash with Barcelona to one side as he prepares for the Champions League encounter with Zenit St Petersburg.

Ramos was unveiled as the Spanish champions' new coach this afternoon at the same press conference where Madrid sporting director Predrag Mijatovic confirmed that they had parted company with Bernd Schuster.

The former Sevilla and Tottenham coach does not have long to settle into his new role though, with his first match taking place [on Wednesday] before facing red-hot Primera Liga pacesetters Barca at the Nou Camp on Saturday.

Barca are unbeaten in their last 20 matches and boast a nine-point lead over stuttering Madrid, whose 4-3 home defeat to Sevilla was their sixth defeat in their last 12 competitive matches.

That match could play a crucial role in this season's Primera Liga title race, but Ramos insists his focus is currently only on the game against Zenit, even if there is not a huge amount riding on the encounter.

Madrid are already guaranteed a place in the last 16 and can only sneak top spot if they win and leaders Juventus lose at home to BATE Borisov.

Opponents Zenit are also already assured of finishing third and a place in the UEFA Cup.

"I would like that all our energy is focused on the match against Zenit," said Ramos, who led Sevilla to five trophies in two seasons but had a less successful stint at Tottenham before parting company with the English side in October.

"We have a Champions League match even though it's not of critical importance.

"My philosophy is to take it game by game, we must be totally focused on the next game, which is against Zenit.

"On Thursday we will start thinking about the Nou Camp."

He said of his hopes for the Champions League this season: "We want to do well and try to win such a prestigious competition.

"We need a good game and to obtain a positive result."

One Madrid player who will be looking to make the most of Ramos' arrival is centre-back Christoph Metzelder.

Metzelder struggled to break into the first team under his fellow German Schuster, but he is hoping it will be a different story with Ramos in the hotseat.

"For the players who have not played much there is always the possibility of starting afresh, because a new coach has come in," Metzelder said.

"For me it's quite an important moment to show my quality. I hope that I can play a little more in the coming week."

There may be a change of coaches at the Bernabeu, but the same injury problems exist for the Spanish giants, who yesterday lost Mahamadou Diarra to a season-ending knee injury.

Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wesley Sneijder, Pepe, Gabriel Heinze, Miguel Torres and Ruben de la Red have also been sidelined recently and only a few of them are anywhere near a return.

Metzelder admits it is a tough time for the team, saying: "Of course it's a situation that's very difficult for us.

"We've many key players injured, we're not in a good position in the league, we've lost matches, we don't have the rhythm we used to, and now the decision to change the coach also affects the team.

"But we are all professionals. I think it's a great chance to come back and show the people in the stadium that we have a lot more quality than in recent weeks."

Zenit welcome back French defender Sebastien Puygrenier following suspension as they look to bid farewell to the Champions League on a high note.

"People have said a lot of positive things about Zenit's performances in Europe," said Zenit coach Dick Advocaat, whose side completed their domestic campaign last month, finishing fifth in the Russian Premier Liga.

"We discussed the Madrid match recently. It's very nice to round off our year against such opponents.

"We go into the game in fine mood and I think all the players want to prove themselves."

espnstar.com

Default Steaua Bucuresti vs Fiorentina Preview

Fiorentina forward Adrian Mutu has an added motivation to beat Steaua Bucharest in Wednesday`s final Champions League Group F game in Romania.

The match at the Steaua Stadium will be a battle between two winless sides looking to secure a place in the UEFA Cup, having already waved goodbye to any hopes of progressing to the last 16 of the Champions League.

Fiorentina, who are third in the group and two points clear of Steaua, need to avoid defeat to guarantee themselves European football in the new year.

And Romania international Mutu, who began his playing career with Steaua's arch-rivals Dinamo Bucharest, wants to see his side claim their first win in the competition against his compatriots.

"I hope to beat Steaua and help Fiorentina qualify for the UEFA Cup," said Mutu.

"I believe there will be a hostile atmosphere towards me. I expect boos which will only motivate me even more.

"This is the mentality of the Steaua fans. I am certain that in any other stadia in Romania no-one would dare criticise me."

Although their Champions League dream is over for the season, Fiorentina coach Cesare Prandelli admits the competition has proved an invaluable lesson to his side.

"The Champions League has been a great experience for my players," said Prandelli.

"Despite not progressing to the next round of the competition, we have not lost confidence in becoming a great squad."

The Viola have drawn three games and lost two in the group, leaving them eight points behind joint-leaders Lyon and Bayern Munich.

"What we're lacking is experience at this level," said Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey. "That counts for a lot in this competition.

"At difficult moments, you have to know how to deal with certain situations - and unfortunately we didn't."

Frey nevertheless believes the chance to return to the UEFA Cup, where they reached the semi-final stages last season, is a good enough reason for his side to give their all on Wednesday.

"There's one game left," he said. "We've got to go over there and try to get a result, because the UEFA Cup is also a big tournament."

The Viola warmed up for the midweek encounter with a 4-1 win at Torino, a result that lifted them to fifth position in the Serie A standings.

Steaua go into the clash against the Italians needing a win to finish third, having only managed to collect one point from a possible 15 so far.

"We want to finish this tournament with a victory," said Steaua coach Dorinel Munteanu, whose side are fifth in the Romanian Liga 1 standings, six points behind leaders and rivals Dinamo.

"We know it's not going to be easy but I want to see my team's determination and desire.

"We need, and want, to qualify for the UEFA Cup."

Steaua will be without defender Pawel Golanski and midfielder Janos Szekely, who are unavailable through injury.

Fiorentina defender Dario Dainelli will also miss the encounter having failed to recover from a muscle problem.

espnstar.com

Default Results for Matchday 6 (9-10 Dec)

Tuesday 9th December 2008

Werder Bremen 2 - 1 Inter Milan

CM Pizarro 62:01
    M Rosenberg 80:36
    Z Ibrahimovic 87:09

PSV 1 - 3 Liverpool

Lazovic 35:16
    R Babel 45:00
    A Riera 68:01
    D Ngog 76:59

Panathinaikos 1 - 0 Anorthosis Famagusta

G Karagounis 68:23

Roma 2 - 0 Bordeaux

M Brighi 60:30
    F Totti 78:20

Basle 0 - 1 Sporting

Y Djalo 18:38

Barcelona 2 - 3 Shakhtar Donetsk

S Sylvinho 58:43
    SB Busquets 82:44
    O Gladkyy 30:55
    O Gladkyy 57:17
    LR Fernandinho 75:12

Chelsea 2 - 1 CFR Cluj-Napoca

S Kalou 39:35
    D Drogba70:42
    Y Kone 54:51

Marseille 0 - 0 Atletico Madrid

Wednesday 10th December 2008

Dynamo Kiev 1 - 0 Fenerbahce

R Eremenko 19:47

Juventus 0 - 0 BATE

Real Madrid 3 - 0 Zenit St Petersburg

GB Raul 24:08
    A Robben 49:03
    GB Raul 56:36

Steaua Bucuresti 0 - 1 Fiorentina

A Gilardino 65:11

FC Porto 2 - 0 Arsenal

ER Bruno Alves 38:16
    L Lopez 53:17

Man Utd 2 - 2 AaB

CA Tevez 2:45
    W Rooney 51:16
    M Jakobsen 31:04
    J Curth 45:00(1:09)

Celtic 2 - 0 Villarreal

S Maloney 13:29
    A McGeady45:00(1:26)

Lyon 2 - 3 Bayern Munich

S Govou 52:19
    K Benzema 67:24
    M Klose 10:59
    F Ribery 33:46
    M Klose 36:47

The Eating Machine! Kenpachi Zaraki's Avatar

Default Champions League Round of 16 (1st Leg Results)

Wednesday 25th February 2009

Villarreal 1-1 Panathinaikos

Rossi 66:08
    Karagounis 58:32

Sporting 0-5 Bayern Munich

Ribery 40:59
    Klose 56:02
    Ribery 62:47
    Toni 83:41
    Toni 90:00(0:14)

Chelsea 1-0 Juventus

Drogba 12:04

Real Madrid 0-1 Liverpool
    Benayoun 81:39

Tuesday 24th February 2009

Atletico Madrid 2-2 FC Porto

Maxi 3:01
    Forlan 45:00(1:31)

Lopez 21:40
    Lopez 71:55

Arsenal 1-0 Roma

Van Persie 36:28

Lyon 1-1 Barcelona

Juninho 6:20
    Henry 66:56

Inter Milan 0-0 Man Utd

If Kenpachi used his Bankai, Armageddon, Ragnarok, and every other form of the apocalypse would march from the depths of hell with their demonic legions of death.... then take one look at him and turn tail and run.

The Eating Machine! Kenpachi Zaraki's Avatar

Default UEFA Champions League Rd. of 16 2nd Leg

Wednesday March11 2009

FC Porto (2) 0-0 (2) Atletico Madrid

Porto Through on Away Goals

Barcelona (6) 5-2 (3) Lyon

* Henry 24:28
    * Henry 26:47
    * Messi 39:08
    * Eto'o 42:13
    * Keita 90:00(4:12)
    * Makoun 43:52