Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

House Holds: WWE's Jeff Hardy

UNLIKE SOME OF wrestling's bigger superstars, Jeff Hardy might not be a household name. But if that household considers 9 p.m. Monday to be a sacred hour, then Jeff Hardy is a superstar. (That's when WWE's "Raw" is on.)

The high-flying daredevil who currently sports the awkward "Charismatic Enigma" nickname has been one of WWE's most beloved performers over the past decade, one of the rare wrestlers who has remained a "good guy" throughout his entire run, mostly due to the fact that audiences just love him so much.

Hardy returned some of that love last Thursday at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda. At that point, Hardy was the number one contender for Triple H's WWE title. Although HHH managed to retain the championship at Sunday's "No Mercy" pay-per-view, Hardy's reception last week suggested his fans are far from fair-weather.

Although the signing was somewhat oddly scheduled for 2-4 p.m. on a weekday afternoon, the true WWE diehards were willing to sacrifice other obligations to ensure face time with Hardy.

Based on my live WWE experiences a decade ago I was expecting this mall trip to be something akin to "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" with more bubble tea vestibules, but the company's efforts to repackage themselves as family entertainment seemed to be a resounding success. There were certainly a few young female fans with heavy eyeliner, but the bulk of the crowd was comprised of families.

The stroller congestion near the Build-a-Bear workshop suggested that perhaps not all of the tots in tow were completely conscious of the awesomeness of Hardy's signature move, the Swanton Bomb, but the toddlers seemed in good spirits, and the hosts made sure to make the young fans feel included. I have attended many live events in my time, but last Thursday is the first time I recall hearing an emcee inquire, "Any first graders in the house?"

Prior to Hardy's appearance, Fox 5 weathercasters Sue Palka and Tony Perkins took the stage to herald the shift of another WWE show, "Smackdown," to My20 (Fridays, 8 p.m.) and distribute autographed photos of wrestling superstars to fans who could answer trivia questions about the pro grapplers. (The recipients of the Jimmy Wang Yang and Umaga photos made a valiant effort to conceal their disappointment.)

When Hardy finally appeared, he looked decidedly casual in a hoodie, jeans, black oxfords and pulled-back hair. His bluish highlights, Hardy Boyz choker and trademark striped facial hair were the only vestiges of his theatrical ring attire, which typically includes shredded arm stockings, oversized black raver jeans and a wife-beater, a recent update from his previous mesh shirt.

Hardy gave a brief, gracious introduction, saying that "moments like this" were the best part of his job, and noting that he "appreciate[s] each and every one of you." He then spent an hour signing autographs, taking photos and giving hugs to the fans that had arrived in time to claim a blue armband.

20081008-hardy-book.jpgJennifer Baird was thrilled at her chance to meet Hardy. Having arrived at 7:30 a.m. to secure her spot in line, she had acquired signatures on both her Hardy Boyz autobiography and the posters she had brought. Asked whether it had been worth the long wait she happily sighed, "Yes."

To his credit, Hardy demonstrated his fan appreciation by not partaking of the large bottle of Purell that had been placed next to his Sharpies.

Meanwhile, the surrounding mall businesses did not seem to be reaping much benefit from the influx of wrestling fans. The employees of J. Jill, Bebe and Kay Jewelers looked on with indifference. I am surprised the guy at the Rosetta Stone kiosk doesn't just pack up and leave. Only the Elite Extensions booth seemed to be generating much intrigue.

By about 3:20 p.m., Hardy had engaged all of the wristband elite, and another trivia free-for-all began. Autographed photos (of himself this time), T-shirts, baseball caps and backpacks were given to fans who answered questions about Hardy's middle name, the number of "Tables, Ladders, Chairs" matches he has participated in and his first ever opponent.

I had managed to isolate myself in a corner inaccessible to Hardy near stage right, and the fans surrounding me were becoming increasingly dismayed at the lack of attention they were getting. Several elementary-aged boys frantically shouted at Hardy, "Jeff! Jeff! Over here! I know the answer!" A middle-aged man who had made several cryptic references to getting a rematch with Jeff ultimately just resorted to responding, "Mae Young!" to every question.

Anyone expecting to find chaos or even slight rabble-rousing from a professional wrestler and his devoted fans would have left the mall disappointed. In fact, not a single person got hit over the head with a folding chair, although Hardy was accommodating enough to autograph one.

Written by Express contributor Meg Zamula

expressnightout.com

Main Eventer

Thanks for this.