Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Looking At The Most Embarrassing Moment On Monday Night Raw This Year

WORST SEGMENT OF 2008

by Mike Johnson

I am going to try and make this short, because the Raw Johnny Knoxville segment was so worthless that it's hardly worth spending the time I will waste writing about it, but the segment featured on tonight's episode of Monday Night Raw was the epitome of exactly why professional wrestling is trapped in the lull it is currently in.

During a time period where fans are giving up in droves and the industry continues to run itself in circles while other entities like UFC market themselves as the cool, fad sports-entertainment product for the most prized demographic in the world, Males 18-34, WWE books one of the most ridiculous, embarrassing segments in recent history.

Seriously, if this was the best they could have come up with, why in the world would they even bother running this dreck? I cannot envision a creative team meeting where the team was in total agreement that this was a tremendous idea that would bring the company ratings, accolades and turn viewers into paying customers. If so, how?

Vince and Linda McMahon love to comment that Wall Street doesn't understand their company. They will make snide remarks when the next WWE Studios film isn't met with a warm critical response. The reality is that it's not that no one understands the company. It's that the average person outside the pro wrestling bubble looks down on the industry because of antics like this that don't even shoot for the lowest common denominator, but for something worse.

WWE loves to compare themselves to every major entertainment series on TV. Well, name one series, anywhere, that would have written such a segment and aired it?

Anyone?

I thought not.

All WWE accomplished tonight was to give a fresh set of footage for the next time a news entity or talk show wants to poke fun at professional wrestling with the images of Knoxville vs. the cavalcade of "change the channel" characters, i.e. Boogey Man, Hornswoggle, Big Dick Johnson, and Great Khali.

Professional wrestling used to be about telling compelling stories that made you want to purchase a ticket or a DVD. What in the world was this segment supposed to entice you to want to do? Seriously, I would love anyone who is currently employed by World Wrestling Entertainment who isn't a McMahon family member to admit publicly that they loved this segment and thought it was great business, because they'd be lying.

The reality is the majority of those working for the company can't stand the current product, but like so many other businesses, they don't want to speak up because their job security would be at risk in the feudal system that is World Wrestling Entertainment. I have no such fears.

I will say what everyone working for the company wishes they could say to Vince and Stephanie McMahon - that segment was so bad, that the only thing it really accomplished was giving former fans ammunition to point to when explaining why they no longer care about professional wrestling, because for every great thing WWE does (like the top three matches at the No Mercy PPV or Ric Flair's farewell a few months back), they do another dozen things that are completely inane and frustrating for their fan base...and it makes that fan base give up and run off to other forms of entertainment. This is not news to anyone reading this, since so many of you have told us you follow the business primarily via this website now. It's 2008 and the WWE audience has been dwindling since 2001, so none of this is news to their executives, either.

It is continually amazing and sad to me all at once that for all the talk by WWE executives and performers that WWE doesn't get the respect it deserves as the entertainment force the company has evolved into, that they themselves provide the most obvious reasons as to why that is, and fail to see the forest from the trees.

Two things are certain. Things won't change within WWE, not anytime soon. Neither will my embarrassment for those involved in the segment, for those who work for the company and for the fans who want and deserve far better than Wrestlecrap on parade.

It really wasn't that bad, whoever wrote this is terribly over-reacting.

Main Eventer

It wasn't very good imo, thanks for the read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    by Mike Johnson, PWInsider

ya ill admit he did over react quite a bit

we have seen worse on tv before on the wwe

ya i know i have a strange sense of humor but i kinda found it funny actually

but thats just me

I thought Khali came off great. Beth Phoenix came off terribly as she lost her handle on Knoxville and botched the body slam.

Jobber
    Purgatory... What you expected an honest answer?

yeah it wasn't the greatest segment in WWE history. But it wasn't the worst in all of pro-wrestling. I think over all this article is more harsh than it needs to be. In other words, the writer was definitely over reacting.
    I'm back and no one is safe from my wrath of vengeance! :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudelang View Post
    I thought Khali came off great. Beth Phoenix came off terribly as she lost her handle on Knoxville and botched the body slam.

I'm not sure that Beth is entirely at fault for that one.Knoxville,with his background coming mainly from the "Jackass" series,knows how to fall and deal with the pain so to speak,unlike wrestlers who are "trained" on how to fall and deal with the "pain"(NO,I'm not saying that all the injuries are fake!).
    Knoxville is probably more at fault than Beth Phoenix was,as Knoxville probably doesn't know how to carry,or "center his weight" if you will,so that the wrestler "helping" him can suceessfully pull off the move without injuring the wrestler taking the "fall"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]BEHOLD,The GODS of THUNDER!!!

Ring Crew

I'm wondering if the "match" with May Young last night didn't rank up there. I felt it was so badly done it was funny. Then maybe that is the angle they were going for????

The Eating Machine! Kenpachi Zaraki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    I dont think he's over-reacting. Actually iys a culmination of extremely crappy segments that we have seen over the years that led to the writer being so pissed off.