A school handyman has carved a complete Nativity scene from old classroom desks.

Chris Reeves used a pile of 1960's science desks destined for the tip to create amazing wooden figurines of Mary, Joseph, and Angel Gabriel.

The crib took two months to complete and will now be blessed by a priest.

"I was taught basic carpentry years ago and it's something I enjoy but I'd never done anything quite like this before," said Mr Reeves, 54.

"I was asked to make the figures and remembered there were some old teak desks lying around from when the school refurbished the science department.

"I thought the wood was too good to waste so I decided to use it."

Mr Reeves laminated the desks together and used a jigsaw to carve out the 3ft tall figures.

It took two desks to make each character in the Christmas story.

"They are absolutely amazing. He did an excellent job, I've never seen anything like it before and the pupils love them," said Ella McCarthy, head of the religious education department at Nicholas Breakspear School in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

"He's really gifted and it's remarkable that he has managed to make them from old furniture.

"They are definitely crafted from authentic school desks because there is even someone's initials scrawled on the base of Joseph."

The figures will now be displayed in the school foyer.

She added: "We hope to be able to use them again and again and would love to have some shepherds and a donkey next year so I hope there are some more desks lying around."

-Nova