Debuting in the WWE less than 12 months ago, the superstar has already fulfilled two boyhood dreams by lifting the federation’s intercontinental and tag team titles.

And in an exclusive interview with SunSport, Kofi revealed all about his journey from being a wrestling-obsessive stuck in a corporate cubicle to becoming one of the grap game’s biggest stars.

The 27-year-old told us: “I have been a fan all my life. As a kid I used to watch WWF Superstars Of Wrestling every Saturday morning. It was mainly the martial artists and high-flyers who captivated me.

“Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat was the best of both worlds and was my favourite growing up. He’d do a lot of chops and kicks, but at the same time have that crossbody off the top rope.

“Then about three years ago I was working in a cubicle in corporate environment, knowing in my heart that it wasn’t really what I wanted to do. I was only doing it because everybody else was doing it.

“Then one day I decided to follow my dream instead.

“I started wrestling on the independent scene and they held a WWE tryout at my wrestling school with lots of the agents.

“I did very well and a few days later they called me and offered me a developmental deal in Deep South Wrestling in Atlanta – where I started just two weeks after getting the call.

“I was in WWE developmental – both Deep South and then Florida Championship Wrestling – from September 2006 to January 2008.

“In that time I was trained by Dr Tom Prichard, Bill DeMott and Steve Keirn, so it was a very positive experience for me.”

After debuting in the WWE, Kofi won the intercontinental title in June and the tag team titles with CM Punk in October – holding both for a few months before losing them.

But despite admitting that some veterans would be jealous of the speed of his success, the grappler says he fully appreciated what the titles mean.

He told us: “As a fan, I understand how great some of those who’ve held these belts truly are.

“People like Ricky Steamboat, Pat Patterson, Tito Santana, Shawn Michaels – these are all names I’ve grown up watching.

“So I was able to appreciate the prestige of holding the title.”

Advertisement

And as for his favourite part of being a WWE superstar, Kofi says it’s all about working with his hero Ricky Steamboat – who is now a backstage agent for Vince McMahon’s group.

He confessed: “Just being around the guys I grew up watching on TV, I’m getting goosebumps thinking about it right now.

“They were always on a pedestal and they’re still on a pedestal.

“To have someone like Ricky Steamboat, Arn Anderson or Barry Windham give you advice – and tell you what works and what doesn’t – is definitely pretty cool.

“I actually pattern a lot of my stuff after Ricky. I take what he did and put my own twist one it.

“He’ll watch match and say: ‘You got some pretty good air on that crossbody.’

“And I’ll be like: ‘I’m just trying to catch up to you!’

“I feel like a kid in a candy store.”

Source: TheSun