TOP 5 BLACK METAL ALBUMS

Haunting the extreme frozen north of Europe, or so the tradition goes, is one of metals most notorious and least understood genres of metal. Not that the Norway scene helped matters. But this extreme form of metal is the twin brother to death, yet it's opposite. It's faster, yet more subtle; more aggressive, yet symphonic. Melody being replaced by textures, and production sacrificed for atmosphere.

5. Moonspell - Night Eternal

This one took me back a step, Moonspell dropping some of the black attack for a dark gothic land. And by gothic, I mean that in the proper sense of that term and not the diet-goth that lurks in the food court at the local mall. This is harsh and distant, yet carries a spell like serenade from a dark October night. Probably the best gate-way album for people trying to get into the more extreme metal scene thanks to some fairly mainstream-ish melodies. Still one of Portugal's best exports.
4. Keep Of Kallessin - Kolossus

I keep listening to this album, and I can't shake the fact this sounds downright atmospheric in a dreamy sort of way. I mean, the black metal-isms are here, but there is an epic distant quality that removes it from the here and now. Killer playing that's been ratcheted down some then airlifted onto a pillar. Rugged and harsh, but sublime and serine; black metal is really going interesting places these days.
3. Enslaved - Vertebrae

This is another progressive black metal album, and really subtle in textures as well; something you don't hear with a lot of extreme metal, but this even rides the lack of aggression into new territory of dark washes. Thinking man's black metal and dare I say high art? Either way, this keeps the faith (irony intended) while pushing the boundaries of extreme definitions.
2. Dark Fortress - Eidolon

The wonderful thing about Eidolon is how Dark Fortress manage to take traditional black metal and make it warmer. And it's not because of being over produced, the mix is just that good and the magic is in the tone. It's dark, jagged, rhythmic, intense, and yet very personal. I enjoyed this album a lot and it seems to be growing in my esteem more so over time
1. Nachtmystium - Assassins – Black Meddle Part 1

We'll be talking more about this outstanding band in a bit, but needless to say I consider them to be on the vanguard of new interesting metal. Brilliant for a band to take a extreme genre with symphonic leanings and marry them to Pink Floyd. I was stunned the first time I heard it, and that feeling hasn't changed.

TOP 5 DEATH METAL ALBUMS

Thrash taken to it's natural extreme conclusion, riffs turned up to 10 then used to beat the hell out of the frail of heart, and growls that would make animals run and hide – that is death metal and this year saw a lot of really good albums from the twin engines born from Florida and Sweden.

5. Bloodbath - Fathomless Mastery

A supergroup most noted for Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt, but the rest of the band's members - Anders Nyström and Jonas Renkse from Katatonia, Martin "Axe" Axenrot from Witchery, and Per Eriksson of 21 Lucifers – Are top notch as well. This is a side project for these guys to just let their hair down and play traditional Swedish death metal the way it was done in the early 90's, and I have to say they do a damn fine job of it. Hopefully the positive reception of this will get the guys to do a tour.
4. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God

Just like clock work, Amon Amarth are back with another fine album, this time veering between their traditional Viking infused death riffs and a few power/epic moments. A few tracks are average, but the one's that rip… Oh man they rip. "Free Will Sacrifice" has a hook the size of the Midgard Serpent, the title track and "Guardians of Asgaard" smoke, and closer "Embrace The Endless Ocean" is a hands down epic that not only pushes the bands sound into new territory but might just be one of the best song's in their catalog.
3. Hail Of Bullets - … Of Frost And War

This one will leave some out in the cold, either due to the vocals or the traditional nature of the albums construction, but damn this is what makes it so great. Complete adherence to the building blocks of death, and then done well. And for a concept album, this nails the nature of this style of music. It might take a few spins, but trust me this is worth the time.
2. Kataklysm - Prevail

Technical, brutal… Canadian? More on this one later, but I'm starting to believe this band can do no wrong. For my money, they are a weapon of mass destruction.
1. Dismember - Dismember

I was going to write a smart analogy about how the US military should use this music to intimidate prisoners of war instead of the bands making the news recently, but then it occurred to me that this band is so bad, so tough, and this album is so destructive that their use would likely cause collateral damage. Listen at your own risk.

TOP 5 DOOM METAL ALBUMS

Born directly from the right hand of Sabbath, doom is all about crushing riffs and bucket loads of heavy. Still one of my personal favorite genres of metal, and this year saw some great releases even if some of my favs are also strongly influenced by death as well as the immortal Iommi and Co.

5. Witchfinder General - Resurrected

After a quarter century, the great Doom/NWOBHM legends have returned for one last album to thank the fans who have kept these underground darlings alive through the years. There was a learning curve with this one, since it's a departure from the bands last work. But hey, that was a quarter century ago and this is what the band is doing with doom today. Once in, the riffs and traditional hard axing wins you over.
4. Virgin Black - Requiem: Fortissimo

Bleak… Brutal… Beautiful? Slow death metal (guitars and vocals) that literally drags your face across a sea of cheese graters, then lifts it with lovely operatic female vocals. I'm not sure how something can be serine and ugly at the same time, but the art is in the dual combination Virgin Black has pulled off wonderfully.
3. Daylight Dies - Lost to The Living

As much a statement on death metal played real slow and crushing, Daylight Dies just keeps on drenching the metal scene with crushing despair. Interesting hints of melody and complexity sprinkled through this album makes it one that carries more depth with every listen. Note to emos, this is how you create music that is filled with hopelessness, make it sound meaningful and good, and still not look like pussies. Got to meet this band too – really cool group of guys.
2. The Gates Of Slumber - Conqueror

With a strong eye at 70's heavy, Sabbath crunch, and traditional metal, Conqueror does just that. This is the epitome of doom and traditional metal, and it lumbers forward with massive structures, riffs, and attitude to crush lesser albums beneath its sandaled feet. Conan aficionados will catch that play on words, and one look at that cover will tell you why I used it. Robert Howard would approve!
1. Grand Magus - Iron Will

Another band we'll talk more about later, but damn if this just doesn't dump buckets full of meaty hooks and head banging rhythms on your head. This album is pure win, and one of the best traditional doom albums I've heard in a while.

TOP 5 TRADITIONAL/POWER METAL ALBUMS

Born from the traditions of metal handed down by Judas Priest (and Deep Purple), and in modern times ratcheted up by the German scene into a power juggernaut, this type of metal still is one of the most popular. To bad it's just mostly overseas these days. Anyway, here are some of the finest to cross my headphones…

5. Firewind - The Premonition

There is a trend in Power metal towards a more melodic style, and Firewind have embraced it. I'm not sure if I'm down with the trend, but this band does a good job here through sheer ability and quality. This is still energized while being subtle and more complex in thought. Awesome live band to, I might add.
4. Brainstorm - Downburst

Like a finely engineered German vehicle, this is a fun and efficient. Part heads-down Teutonic demolition, part mainstream bombast, in total a beauty to behold; crank it up and feel the hook. The fact "Fire Walk With Me" didn't appear on American radios is proof that the industry doesn't get it.
3. Metal Church - This Present Wasteland

OK, I'm taking a few liberties here, but Metal Church has evolved from thrash to a traditional and power metal band as well. And I have to say, this is the best album the guys have put out this decade. I mean, I keep listening to that awesome riff in "Deeds For A Dead Soul" and keep expecting Dio to show up.
2. Pyramaze - Immortal

The good news is that Matt Barlow fans can rejoice for he sang on a great power metal album this year. The bad news for Iced Earth fans is that it was on this album. Solid power metal and I hope Barlow sticks with the guys despite reuniting with Schaffer. This band is very good.
1. Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free II

Awesome stuff right here. And note to Schaffer, listen to the last track, that is how you make the final song of a concept album sound epic. In fact, this whole album sounds epic, and you can't escape the feeling that you're hearing a moment in the bands career on this; or more likely, a statement. More on this album later.

TOP 5 PROGRESSIVE METAL ALBUMS

Technical and complex arrangements, tied by the theme of a muse mixed by thinking men running on paths outside convention, and pure vision and chops marks the trademark progressive band. 2008 again was no stranger to some damn good music from musicians who take the name artist seriously.

5. Communic - Payment Of Existence

Communic is one of those bands who you need to keep listening to if you want to get the full experience. Some prog bands get their name from technique, combined elements, or sheer chops. These guys do those things, but are more progressive for how they build long, untraditional songs that are complex in how they are layered. There is a lot of depth in the arrangements and multiple listens is needed to find them. Good stuff when you sink into this album.
4. Enslaved - Vertebrae

As much as this is black metal, it's also progressive. Hell, this is not even metal at times but more a heavy rock. Although this is textured in the way it rolls and roils through everything, a fine display of thinking man's philosophy. The more I play it, the more I like it, so out of any album on this list (besides the next one) this has the potential to grow even higher in my view over time.
3. Ihsahn - angL

The Emperor has new robes! Ihsahn, famous singer and leader of the mighty Emperor is back with his second solo effort. Think blackened Opeth, and you would be very close. In fact, Opeth's lead man plays and sings on one song. Slow Ihsahn's down a bit, and out pops a damn good guitar player. Or more like there always was one, now we just have a chance to hear it. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does in the future.
2. Meshuggah - ObZen

I have to admit, I was not onboard with this band for a number of years. It was more math than passion, or at least that was how it sounded to me. But obZen adds some additional thrash-ier mix from the band and there is a sense of life prodding up the whole affair that finally won me over. An ironic statement when you consider that you'd have to be a cyborg to play these arrangements.
1. Opeth - Watershed

Do I even need to explain this one? More on this vital band in a bit.

TOP 5 THRASH METAL ALBUMS

Born of traditional metal, the British Invasion, and punk street aggression, this was the beginning of the underground that would eventually dominate the metal world. It's all about the riffs baby, and this year many bands are still keeping the traditions alive in their own way.

5. Warbringer - War Without End

I thought their EP absolutely smoked, this one is a little more clinical but still a pleasant frash thrash attack, done the old school way by the underground acts of the 80's. This is a band to keep and eye on for sure, because I think they have staying power once the thrash revival fad starts to fade.
4. . Meshuggah - ObZen

What? How is Meshuggah thrash you're saying? Well, actually their technical "post-thrash" if you want to be (ahem) technical, so close enough for me. I'd say the ridiculously complex riff structure works, and works well. And isn't the heart of thrash, the riffs? OK, I'm still calling it close enough to beat down some other bands in this genre. Still, for the record, I think the dudes are robots. That is meant in a good way, of course.
3 Metallica - Death Magnetic

Did any one really predict that we would be debating a new Metallica album as one of the best of the year? That is success alone right there. Add in the fact that it's mostly thrash and it's enough to make one jump up and down with joy. Most people either didn't like this album, or liked it a lot. I liked it a lot, even with its flaws. Although, there we're a few albums that I did like better…
2. Testament - The Formation Of Damnation

I'm sorry big four of thrash, but this year Testament stormed into the kingdom and announced that it should be the "Big Five". Although, some would argue one or two of the others should be disposed from the thrash throne, so maybe these dudes just made a coup. Either way, this album smoked.
1. Death Angel - Killing Season

I've been a Death Angel fan on many fronts, but honestly didn't expect to be blow away with the sophomore effort since the reunion. Boy was I wrong… This opened up a huge can of win and brough enough to share with everyone at the show.

TOP 5 CLASSIC BANDS

Just to be different, and since the Mosh Pit is part heavy metal, part classic rock, I thought I would make a special category to recognize those who have been doing this for decades. In essence, this is the Top 5 albums from bands that have been around a quarter century or more. So if they had a release starting in 1883 or earlier, then their 2008 release qualified for this list (metal or otherwise). Time for some love and respect for the classic artists!

5. Blackmore's Night - Secret Voyage

Color me crazy, but when Ritchie Blackmore started this renaissance music thing I just assumed it was a side project for him to dote on his lovely wife. Boy was I wrong, many years and albums later one of the greatest strat slingers is still dishing out quality music. Sure, it's acoustic and sounds like it needs to be played in a medieval pub (or Eastern Europe on a few tracks) circa the Renaissance, but it also sounds contemporary and quite frankly, real damn good. Plus you got to love the classic-Ritchie cover he mines from his own catalog every album.
4. Motorhead - Motorizer

Motorhead have been holding up their end of the bargain for years, pumping out classic speed metal and punk bruisers in the key of heavy. For my money, they've been more consistent with the quality releases in the last two decades than during their first! Some will complain that this band hasn't advanced, but come on… Do we really want Lemmy doing break downs or wearing baggy pants? Of course not. The band is tight and burning up the joint in glorious fashion, and I'll be happy if they keep it up forever.
3. Uriah Heep - Wake the Sleeper

It's like the 70's version of this band got together to jam for an hour, left the psychedelic at the door, and recorded the whole shebang with modern production. They still got the Hammond though, but damn if it doesn't sound sweet to the ears. This thing rocks front to back, and I'm left to wonder how in the hell this band continues to escape the vision of American audiences. This is a vital and energized released, and for my money is up with the best statements from the guys.
2. Metallica - Death Magnetic

No denying it, Metallica came back and made a lot of their old jean jacket fans happy. Including this one I might add. Some might bristle at me ranking the next album better than this, but hey – that isn't so much a statement on this album as a signal of how much I enjoyed the next one.
1. AC/DC - Black Ice

If you have been a regular reader of this column, then you already know what I think of this band. Plus you know what I think of the new album. I wasn't to big on their last two albums, but this time the boys from down under reached deep down to pull in some classic energy, hitch it up to the deep south thang they've been doing on the last two, and out the amps comes a vital blaze of boogie blues riffs to drink with. Sure, a couple of tracks could have been left off and get lost in the shuffle, but the ones that blaze light up the night.

TOP TOP METAL ALBUMS OF 2008

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Such is the power of this polarizing band that I'm going to get flak for putting this album at number ten. Half will be mad it isn't higher, while the other half will be mad it's on here at all. But be true to yourself, I always say, and I say this was a damn good album even if ten others got more spins in my player. Sure, this album is about 90 parts tossed together then cut up at equal lengths. And yes, the mastering on the album version is embarrassing (but not for the band so much as this is accepted industry standards now – don't get me started). Sure, Lars needs to drop the modern "real" fad on realistic drum kit mixing, and Hetfield could still talk about a few more interesting things… But dammit all that doesn't really matter in the end. Metal is all about the riffs, and those 90 parts are filled with great riffs, and warmly worked together. This is really Kirk's album (about f'n time!), and he shines on riffs, leads, and solos through this whole thing. And lord knows I'd rather the album sound a little random and (thanks do to the mastering) like a garage jam than some over blown high-production corporate snooze fest. And that part is what gives this album that hard to identify "it" factor – The jam garage band flavor seeps in due to the pure energy the band gives these songs. Metallica sounds hungry again, and that drive delivers energy and heft to propel these songs forward. For the first time in years, I'm looking forward to seeing what the band does next.

Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free II

This had me grinning and playing air guitar before finishing the first spin. Total bombast, hook, and rhythm, the things I love in a good power metal album. In a year when power bands are evolving into progressive or melodic structures, Gamma Ray just opened up a can of old school and made you want to pump your fist into the air. There is a reason a classic style of music works, the only problem being if you're going to mine that territory you had better do a good job of it. Massive melodies, searing leads, galloping riffs, and hooks to big you could hang other band's entire catalogs on them; this is the definition of home run.

"Into The Storm" is the socking single, a quick jolt of ass kicking. "To Mother Earth" is the ballad-like-soaring-sing-a-long song that puts life on cruise control. "Rain" has one of the toughest sounding riffs I've heard in a while and is bad ass, juxtaposing "Empress" that drops a catchy melody on you in the chorus. Seriously, the part is about the size of the meteor that took out the dinosaurs. "Real World" is another great hook with lyrics that will give the fundamentalist in your life apoplexy. Finally, "Insurrection" is one huge epic of an opus, larger than life combining everything from the previous hour and delivering the one of the grandest statements on closing a concept album that I've heard in over a decade. Maybe two. There is a lot of music here to digest, but the energy and change ups keep it moving and interesting, easily making this the best power metal album of the year.

Hail of Bullets - … Of Frost and War

Another metal supergroup (aren't these the fad all of a sudden), but the guys pull it in to give you a stripped down classical death metal album, no frills or even modern extremities, just layering in some thrash, doom, and old school song construction. Out the other end comes a real feast of riffs and guitar chords, crunching and crushing, the guitar tone buzzing like a howitzer. Speaking of weapons of war, Of Frost And War is a concept album that retells the story of the Russian front in WWII from the point of view of the soldiers. Starting from Germany's invasion (Operation Barbarossa), through the expulsion of the invaders that fateful winter to the march into Germany to take part in the allied victory ("Berlin"), and it all is brutal stuff. Told from the perspective of the foot soldier and it's nothing but the ugly truth of war, even the victory at the end being painted by ravens feeding off of the dead in the streets of Berlin. Death metal at its finest, as it's a tale of frozen winters and bodies left out to rot, the trip being about the journey and this one is measured in casualties.

The one thing I certainly need to point out is the vocals, which will require a listening curve to digest. The growls are higher pitched and more screech, Van Drunen rolling between a gravelly scream that sounds like he's gargling napalm, and a pathetic cry of horror like some poor schlock who just had a canister of mustard gas dumped into his fox hole. While they are well suited to capture the brutal horror of the subject matter, they're a bit of work even for those who dig the death style vox to begin with. But once you digest those caws you unlock the real secret of this album, and that is the pure depth of the music.

And by depth, I mean pure death metal goodness. Solid riffs and rolling rhythms that steamroll over opposition like the Blitz. That is the thrash frash attack as it is before it hits the Russain winter and bogs down into a churning brutal doom assault. A duel picture of war, fast and furious until you stop and gape at the horror man can do, the awful truth crushing your fragile view of life.

Kataklysm - Prevail

Metal was born during the Vietnam era, and forty years later there is still plenty of conflict to be mined on the subject. Kataklysm has made a career out of painting brutally vivid pictures of war, and on Prevail they show no sign of slowing down. Vast, painful, and to the point, the band open up the bomber's bay and drops several megatons of reality all over the place. The band is still in the grips of technical brutal death, but has spiced up a few tracks with in your face hardcore moshers. Plus there is an amazing degree of hook and melody hiding under the hood of this bloody listen. I'm sure that will turn some off, but I find it a fine and regal push into interesting terrain for the band. I mean, it's not like they don't still open up with both barrels and shoot shrapnel all over the place, dropping bodies left and right. Don't you just love the smell of napalm in the morning? I said it before, and I'll say it again: If we want to defeat the Taliban, we just need to drop this album on them and be done with it. Don't worry about the oil; it'll still be there in 50 years when it's safe to return.

Nachtmystium - Assassins – Black Meddle Part 1

There is only on way to describe this band: Pink Floyd in corpsepaint. You read that right. Nachtmystium is a band existing on the cutting edge of black metal evolution, more than a deep respect for the works of Pink Floyd are sprinkled through their work (read the title of the album again, plus note opening track "One Of These Nights"). It's a real smooth swirl of dense extreme guitars that give way to floating abstracts and lofty atmospheres. I'm dead serious about this band being on the cutting edge, and I think we're looking at the evolution of black metal in Assassins. This cuts easily from jagged vocals and icy screams, layered over thick buzzing axes, to creamy daydreams (nightmares?), filled with the answer to Norway's endless night in the psychedelic and progressive meanderings of Sid, Waters, and Gilmore. The Dark Side of Permafrost? Damn, I'm still listening to this album and unlocking treasures. Worth a spin if you like more extreme metal even if black metal was too far out for you; this is some really great muse right here.

Testament - The Formation Of Damnation

For one of thrash metals original second tiered bands (that lofty layer of classic thrash bands under the big four back in the day), they have developed a long and loyal following despite the dearth in new music over the years. But you got to give it up to them, in a year of great classic bands putting out new music, these guys showed up to kick ass all the way to the top of the Bay Area heap. This is still rooted in thrash, but piles on some groove and hardcore textures to really make the whole spectacle vital and alive again. But don't get me wrong, this is still very much thrash, if not pulled forward into shades of death at times, but it's the total wattage that makes things crank. Testament as a band was never about building the best riffs like many thrash bands, they were more about melody and delivery, a slight hook and a ton of energy. When bands were putting on pocket protectors to get technical, or trying to keep up with the Jones', Testament just showed up to blow the house down by being alive and real. You can engineer song structures and performance, but you can't reproduce that sense of life. The Formation Of Damnation has it in spades, build around blazing leads, splitting solos, assaulting twin attacks, and Chuck Billy cracking his head open to hand you his thoughts. Let's hope it doesn't take nine years for this group to put out another album.

Opeth - Watershed

The wonderful thing about Opeth is their strict adherence to a muse they alone can grasp, one they follow despite the polarizing effect their music has on the metal community. As an example, I bet half the readers will not be happy I included this album on the list, while the other half will be upset it's not number one. Count me a fan, and I firmly believe that we're witnessing one of those bands who will end up being highly influential years down the road. I seriously will not be surprised at all to hear future bands point to Opeth as an influence, or that their song titles don't end up as the name of a various bands.

But really, what can I say you don't already know about this album? The band has managed to stay on form in a style they created and lone dominate, while still producing new and non-repetitive releases. They're a mad scientist mix of death metal, traditional metal, hard rock, dark tapestry filled hallways, words worth a thousand pictures, acoustical passages, and… a Hammond organ (?!). I guess extreme prog was the only inevitable title you could slap on something this large that moves through orbits of its own vision and creation. It might take you a while to wrap your brain around the full view from a hill, but this album is certainly worth the time.

Grand Magus - Iron Will

Born of the right hand of Tony Iommi and steeped in high levels of the British Invasion, Iron Will stands heads and shoulders with the great traditional doom albums. Sabbath is the engine block, powered by the twin engine of Candlemass and Trouble, and Grand Magus wraps those heavy has hell riffs with more than a keen eye on the metal of British pubs circa 79. Thrash hits you fast and often, doom hits you less often but insures the riffs leave a mark when they do, and damn if Iron Will isn't chocked full of so many great chugging head banging riffs that it doesn't hurt the neck just thinking about it. This is the picture definition of "Heavy" in the name heavy metal. The leads soar, intertwine, tell a story through sheer poetry of construction, taking you back in time to a majestic place where you can feel the waves pour over the Viking longboats. Just pure, methodical win as the melody is dominated by those ten-ton riffs crashing upon your skull. Or is it your skull crashing through them? To hell with it, don't put anything breakable in front for you when you play this, otherwise your head might go through it. In a metal scene filled with so many bands going for throat destroying brutality, it's really cool to see a band with so much classic tradition put out an album that's just so awesome. There's old school, then there's being taken to school.

This did both while still sounding modern. Believe in the power of involuntary head banging and testify!

Death Angel - Killing Season

Smart and energetic, interwoven in thrash with an eye towards a little groove and hardcore textures the Bay Area inspired, Killing Season is a sheer joy of unbridled axes attacking at the speed of life. There is a vital sense of energy here, a pure "happy to show up and destroy the Marshals" attitude that captures everything that is good about metal. It's more hook, groove, and even rhythm than riff at times, but man it's still tied into a ten cylinder engine that demands superior highways to cruise upon. The whole mixture calculated to optimum burning point before mixing and firing through the speakers.

And who says you can't put out am aggressive album with clean vocals. Certainly not these dudes, as this just keeps you in the red line for the entire trip. From the blistering pure assault of opener "Lord of Hate", to the infectious groove of "The Noose", to Master Of Puppets outtake "Resurrection Machine" this thing smokes. The band storms and sizzles through track after track of essential fist pounding tempered steel, rough around the edges but tight and on form. Classic metal yet modern, traditional but new, it's just… man, put the pedal to the metal and let's burn some rubber.

Dismember - Dismember

Oh my, I got some chills and a big old smile playing this beast the first time. It was like the old days and discovering a classic. That's due to the pure, unquestionable raw energy that comes out on the first note, goes for the jugular, and never lets go until the album ends. Yea and verily, this album should come with a warning label for the pure damage it can due to your neck. This is pure old school Swedish death metal, born of the glory days of the Sunlight Studios (where the album was recorded on analog!), masterly mixed with modern technology without loosing that raw feel, and asks no quarter while offering none. When the band does mix a little influence into their sound, they go for their original influences in Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Check out the pure Maiden tribute ending of "Under A Blood Red Sky" for Exhibit A.

It's all about the riffs, and this album dumps, throws, and pummels you with great riffs front to back, jamming them down your ears until you bleed. Instead of modern trends, textures, and experiments the band substitutes pure power and aggression. No grandstanding or fancy tricks, the band just rips out your spine and crucifies it to your headphones. Pure chops, with axes set to kill, twin leads scorching and salting the earth. And man, death metal growls are a staple in a lot of metal, but Karki isn't following any trend since he was part of the movement that introduced it, and that is evident in the hunt or be hunted brutality that rips your ear a new hole. Dismember is exactly the pure metal attack that reminds me why I love this kind of music so much. It stands ahead of the pack in 2008, and quite frankly 95% of the other albums won't come close simply because they don't want their asses kicked.

411mania