Striker Eduardo da Silva has told Arsenal he is ready to return to the first team 11 months after suffering a horrific leg injury during a Premier League match.

The Brazilian-born Croatia player completed 90 minutes for Arsenal's reserves against Stoke City on Wednesday, having a goal disallowed late on.

'I am ready,' the 25-year-old Eduardo told Arsenal's website. 'It has been a long time since I've played 90 minutes and now I feel better knowing that I can play a whole game. I feel much stronger than I have and I am very happy now.'

Eduardo's return to fitness will be a massive boost for manager Arsene Wenger as fifth-placed Arsenal try to make up ground in what is shaping up to be a tight title race.

'I think I am ready for the first team but you would have to ask the boss,' Eduardo said. 'I feel very well and I'm training hard every day. Of course I want to come back quick and strong. Now, every game for me is a big step.'

He said the injury, a fractured fibula and open dislocated ankle that was so bad television replays of it were not shown, had had no lasting psychological effect.

'In my head and everything I am ready,' he said. 'I am happy with the 90 minutes I played on a very hard pitch with all the hard rain. But playing my first game for the first team, I am ready now and I am just waiting for my chance.'

RTE