Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed the club have agreed a new contract with defender Emmanuel Eboue.

Eboue has had a mixed season after being booed off by a number of his own supporters at the Emirates Stadium earlier this year.

But the Ivorian has impressed in recent weeks, and he came off the substitutes' bench to net a brace in the 4-0 win over Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.

And Wenger has confirmed that an agreement over fresh terms is in place, telling the club's official website: "We have already tied up Eboue's contract - that has been done for a long time."

French coach Wenger went on to urge striker Nicklas Bendtner to take inspiration from Eboue after the Dane came in for criticism for some poor finishing versus Rovers.

Wenger said: "Of course Eboue's an example (for Bendtner).

"Bendtner will (turn it around) I am not worried about that, I was more worried about Eboue at one stage. Fans want performances and that is the only way we have to respond.

"I am pleased that Eboue starts to score because it looked to us that he could never score goals.

"If he had not scored his goal, and not scored last week, he would not have taken the penalty and that tells you the importance of confidence."