Well there is a RE coming for the APP Store.

If you haven't played Resident Evil 4 in some capacity or another, color me surprised. It started out as a GameCube adventure, made its way over to the PC and PlayStation 2, and finally ended its reign with a "definitive" Wii edition a little over two years ago -- or so it seemed. Even though we've finally moved onto its successor, RE4 holds a special place in gamer's hearts for its great story and outstanding boss fights, and apparently deserves (at least) one last hurrah before finally being put out to pasture.

Now, don't go into Resident Evil 4 iPhone expecting the entirety of Leon Kennedy's Spanish Inquisition. This is a $7.99 iPhone port after we're talking about here, and Capcom seems to have picked out the best bits and crammed it into the skeleton of its previous iPhone RE game, Resident Evil: Degeneration. From the look of the screenshots and video I could find, I must say that I'm impressed with the graphics Capcom is able to pull out of the iPhone, and how faithful the game seems to be in regards to its source material. Unfortunately, most of the annoyances that come with the third-person shooters on the iPhone still hold true -- the controls look awkward and will take some getting used to, and transitioning between aiming and maneuvering is still a pain in the ass. I'm guessing that it would control better "on rails," but we all know how derivative games can feel when you you turn them into glorified Area 51 knock-offs.

In the end, it's Resident Evil 4. On your iPhone. And I'm left to wonder "why?" As the arguable pinnacle of the entire series, Resident Evil 4 is one of those games that you just have to play in its entirety. This port is a nice thought, but even if Capcom manages to make the control scheme palatable, I can't help but feel like everyone who plays this game should just be revisiting the Wii/PS2 versions instead. If you're hard up for mobile zombie killing, give it a go and let us know how the rest of the adventure holds up. If you've never played Resident Evil 4, though, I'd recommend doing a little homework first.