SAN JOSE, Calif. — Scott (Hands of Steel) Smith rallied from what seemed certain defeat to knock out former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le in the third round Saturday night at the HP Pavilion.

Le (6-1) had totally dominated the mixed martial arts fight but was dropped with a left hook to the jaw with just under two minutes remaining. He wobbled back to his feet and was driven back to the fence by Smith, who put him down again with a straight right and kept swinging until referee (Big) John McCarthy stepped in at three minutes 25 seconds of the round.

"That was so much fun. That's how I like to fight," said Smith. "I've got a hard head. He beat on me for a good two and a half rounds, but I'm never out of a fight, you guys. That's why I'm fun to watch."

Le had not fought since March 2008, having given up his title to make movies.

But he showed his teeth when he dropped Smith with a spinning back kick early in the first round. Le pounced on Smith, who took a lot of punishment before finally getting to his feet as McCarthy watched closely.

Le put Smith down again with a similar kick later in the round. Later in the round he caught Smith with a head kick, nodding in admiration as Smith somehow stayed on his feet.

Le put Smith down again in the second with a spinning back kick to the torso. When McCarthy stood them up, Smith came after a tiring Le with strikes.

Le drove Smith back with two spinning back kicks to open the third. But Smith kept his head and began to come after Le. He was greeted with a spinning back fist and a single leg takedown.

Then one punch by Smith (17-6 with one no contest) changed the whole fight.

"He caught me with a punch ... I did my best and he caught me," said Le.

In other action, interim Strikeforce title-holder Gilbert Melendez won a unanimous decision (49-47, 49-46, 49-46) over lightweight champion Josh Thomson to unify the 155-pound title.

"It feels great ... Josh, hands down, is the toughest guy I've ever fought," said Melendez, who had lost a decision to Thomson in June 2008.

Said Thomson: "He was the better fighter tonight."

Middleweight Ronaldo (Jacare) Souza submitted Matt Lindland via arm triangle at 4:18 of the first round.

Heavyweight Muhammed (King Mo) Lawal knocked out Mike Whitehead at 3:08 in the first round.

Kocosports