David Beckham believes Fabio Capello's "arrogant" and "scary" personality has been key to England's rejuvenation.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Beckham said the Italian had brought "an arrogance, but in a good way" since succeeding Steve McClaren in late 2007.

"Players go onto the field confident, they believe they're going to win, and he gives us that confidence," he added.
"He's brought a real seriousness, a professional side which was needed. He scares you - in a 'respect' way."
Capello, under whom Beckham also played at Real Madrid, has won 15 of his 21 matches in charge of the national side, using the former England captain primarily as a substitute.

"He gives us confidence where we might not have had it in the past," Beckham told 5 live's Sportsweek programme, drawing comparisons between 63-year-old Capello and the AC Milan star's mentor at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson.

"You really respect these managers. Sir Alex brought me up and was a father figure to me, I've got a huge amount of respect for him and the same for Fabio.

"They are two managers who don't just manage teams, they love football. That's why they've been successful and why they're still in the game now."

In spite of his admiration for the likes of Capello and Ferguson, 34-year-old Beckham - who has started a new five-month spell on loan at the San Siro from LA Galaxy - all but ruled out any move of his own into management once his playing career ends.
"There's no chance of me being a manager or a coach," he said. "It doesn't interest me.

"I love coaching kids, that's my biggest passion. We'll see - I might change my mind in the future."

But the former England captain does see a "huge role" for himself in fronting the country's bid to host the 2018 World Cup, which has faced what former board member Karren Brady termed "bickering, infighting and disruption" in recent months.
"It's definitely not a burden, I'm honoured to be involved," said Beckham.

"I'm part of a bid to bring the World Cup to my country for the first time in many years and I've enjoyed every moment.
"I believe we've got a chance of getting it but we have to do a lot of hard work, it's not just going to be given to us.
"We shouldn't be arrogant and we shouldn't expect the World Cup that easily. We have to work hard for it."

BBC SPORT