For the second successive year Tottenham striker Robbie Keane was the biggest name to move on mid-season transfer deadline day.
This was after he signed a loan deal with Celtic.
Just 12 months after ending a very brief and unhappy spell at Liverpool by returning to White Hart Lane, the Republic of Ireland international has now joined the club he supported as a boy.
Having fallen behind Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch in the pecking order, the recent arrival of former Chelsea and Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen at White Hart Lane only increased pressure for places.
At 29, Keane does not feel he can spend time sitting on the bench and so has taken the opportunity to head north of the border to achieve another ambition of his.
The Irishman, whose cumulative transfer fees total more than £70million after previous big-money moves to Inter Milan, Leeds and Liverpool, agreed terms with the Hoops four hours before the Scottish deadline at midnight.
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp insists Keane will return to London in the summer but admits he could not stand in his way of playing for the Parkhead club.
"To go to Celtic is a dream come true for him," said Redknapp.
"The Irish lads, it's in their blood and they dream of playing for Celtic one day.
"This opportunity is one they want to take and we don't want to stand in his way, because we're strong in that position.
"It has been difficult for Robbie because he has not been starting regularly and he is not a happy lad when he is not.
"But he has definitely not played his last game for Tottenham."
Redknapp also told Radio 5 Live the club had a deal agreed for Portsmouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic until the Bosnia international signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Stoke for a fee of £3.25million.
"Begovic did the deal. He came in and had a medical and then I think his agent changed his mind and they got a better deal at Stoke," added the Spurs boss, who allowed defenders Alan Hutton and Kyle Naughton to go on loan to Sunderland and Middlesbrough respectively.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis was delighted to secure the services of 22-year-old Begovic, having ironically tried to sign his Pompey team-mate David James a fortnight ago only for a loan deal to break down over salary issues.
"Asmir is someone we have been tracking for some time and we believe that potentially he is the best young keeper in the country," said the Potters boss.
The biggest deal done in England today was finalised on the stroke of the deadline with Manchester City signing Middlesbrough winger Adam Johnson for a reported £7million fee.
Johnson signed a four-year deal after admitting he was ready to leave his "comfort zone" on Teesside.
"City are a club going places. I wanted to come and try to better myself instead of staying in my comfort zone at Middlesbrough," he said.
"When a big club comes in for you life's too short to turn down an opportunity like this."
West Ham bolstered their options up front by signing three strikers in one day.
They completed a two-and-a-half-year deal for Blackburn's Benni McCarthy, with Rovers also offloading midfielder Keith Treacy to Preston.
However, the deadline had passed before they could confirm the signings of former Middlesbrough striker Mido, who has been on loan at Egyptian side Zamalek, and 29-year-old Brazilian Ilan - a free agent having left St Etienne - both until the end of the season.
"I am very happy to be here. It is a great club and I am sure that I will do well," said Mido, 26.
"It is an exciting challenge for me. Hopefully I can prove myself and stay here for longer.
"We have got everything you need to get in the top 10 and I hope to play my part in helping the club to move up."
Wigan won the race to sign highly-rated youngster Victor Moses on a three-and-a-half-year contract from cash-strapped Crystal Palace in a deal thought to be worth £2.5million.
"To play in the Premier League is a dream and I want to thank Roberto Martinez and Wigan for giving me the chance to do that," said the 19-year-old.
Martinez also brought in Bolivia striker Marcelo Moreno on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk, who paid £7.8million for the player just 18 months ago.
Fulham finalised loan deals for Stefano Okaka and Nicky Shorey from Roma and Aston Villa respectively.
Manager Roy Hodgson also signed German youngster Christopher Buchtmann from Liverpool and allowed Diomansy Kamara, Tony Kallio and Wayne Brown to go out on loan to Celtic, Sheffield United and Bristol Rovers respectively.
Daryl Murphy and David Healy left the Stadium of Light to join former manager Roy Keane at Ipswich on six-month loan deals while Nyron Nosworthy joined Sheffield United on loan.
Sunderland were tonight hopeful of being able to confirm the signing of striker Benjani Mwaruwari from Manchester City, believing they had lodged the paperwork before the 5pm deadline, however by 10.30pm it was not yet a confirmed deal.
Burnley boss Brian Laws snapped up Jack Cork on loan from Chelsea and also extended the loan deal of Portsmouth striker David Nugent until the end of the season, while allowing young forward Jay Rodriguez to join Barnsley for a month.
Relegation rivals Hull managed to stave off Wolves' interest in Stephen Hunt while also letting Peter Halmosi, Daniel Cousin and Will Atkinson join Szombathelyi Haladas, Larissa and Rochdale respectively.