Tiger Woods is taking part in the US Masters - his first competitive event for five months after taking time off following his sex scandal.

The world number one has not been in action since he crashed his car in Florida on November 27, which led to revelations about his private life.

As he was introduced at the Masters, the he received a big cheer from the crowd gathered around the first tee at Augusta National Golf Club.

Woods shaved off the goatee beard he had worn during practice, and was smiling as he waited to start the first round.

One fan yelled: "Make us proud" and there were calls of "Go Tiger". It was the loudest applause Woods had received all week.

He hit a good tee shot down the middle of the fairway to start his bid for a fifth Masters title in Georgia.

The galleries were packed at least five-deep all the way down the opening hole to watch the game's leading player.

Media experts have predicted it will attract the biggest television audience ever in the US.

Woods had not played in an event for 144 days since winning the Australian Masters on November 15.

He has admitted cheating on his wife Elin, and more than a dozen women have claimed they had affairs with him.

Woods has won 14 major golf titles and is chasing the all-time record of 18 set by Jack Nicklaus.

Meanwhile, Nike has broadcast a new TV advert that could cause more controversy for Woods.

The sports giant's stark black and white ad was aired on prime-time TV across the US on the eve of the Masters.

It uses the voice of Woods' late father Earl and suggests that the golfer feels he has let him down with marital indiscretions.

A recording of Earl, who died in 2006, asks his son: "Tiger I am more prone to be inquisitive. I want to find out what your thinking was. I want to find out what your feelings are, and did you learn anything."