Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Default Interview with Oscar De La Hoya

Coyote Duran: Well, you know, there’s one waiting for you at welterweight, Oscar! (Carlos) Baldomir’s got it! (Both laugh.) Speaking of the welterweights, the division that you helped mold, of course, in the late-‘90s and early-2000s along with the likes of Shane Mosley and Felix Trinidad, has gotten rather interesting lately, wouldn’t you say?

Oscar De La Hoya: Oh, absolutely! I mean, right now, the welterweight division is very, very interesting. You know, it’s funny because I’ve been hearing Top Rank say how (WBO Welterweight titlist Antonio) Margarito is ‘The Most Feared Fighter On The Planet Today.’ That’s baloney! How can he be the most feared fighter on the world today when there’s tons of fighters that are lined up to fight him that wanna fight him? For instance, we have Winky Wright, who obviously challenged him, not at 158 the way they’re saying, but at 154! Why can’t he (Margarito) go up to 154? He’s called out Cory Spinks and he’s called out other fighters who’ll fight at 154. It would be a fight at 154. We also have Kassim Ouma, who, obviously, is going back down to 147 after this fight with Sechew Powell this weekend, which he is dying to fight him (Margarito). Of course, we have Ishe Smith, who came out of The Contender, who is a great talent. He’s also willing to fight him, anytime, any day, anywhere. So there’s tons of challenges out there for him and it’s a matter of making these fights. One thing that I disagree with is that they keep on calling out (Floyd) Mayweather. Well, I have to admit, who has he fought to deserve a shot at Mayweather?

Coyote Duran: But everybody’s treating Mayweather like he’s a champion and I’ve touched upon that in past articles that, basically, fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the welterweight division is a right and not a privilege. He doesn’t have a championship to speak of. I do honestly think the welters need to get everything straightened out in their division if they feel there’s something to be straightened out. Obviously, Baldomir’s the genuine champ, but they seem so ensconced in tracking down Mayweather or challenging you or Shane Mosley at 154. I think there’s so much to be busy with in the welterweight division but these fighters are getting distracted. Agree or disagree?

Oscar De La Hoya: Well, right now, Floyd Mayweather is in the driver’s seat, OK? I mean, obviously, except if he fights me. I mean, that’s a whole different story……..

Coyote Duran: (Chuckles) Oh, we’ll get to that one shortly…….
    Oscar De La Hoya: If Floyd Mayweather’s gonna fight anybody, then obviously, he calls the shots. He fights whoever he wants to fight. I mean, if you ask me who his next opponent should be, I would have to say Baldomir! Baldomir, in his last two fights, has beaten (Arturo) Gatti and has he did go out and beat Zab Judah very impressively! I think it would be a great fight and, obviously, yes, Baldomir is the WBC (and recognized Ring Magazine World) champion but, obviously, Mayweather is the one who should be calling the shots and that’s the fight that, maybe, they should make next.

Coyote Duran: When you hear the comment about Margarito claiming he’s ‘The Most Feared Man In Boxing’, do you think that’s Margarito or (Margarito’s promoter) Bob Arum talking?

Oscar De La Hoya: (Laughs) Well, obviously, that’s the reason why they have a promoter. You have your promoter speaking for you. And I can understand. Bob Arum wants the best, biggest, high profile fight for his fighter, but you have to earn it. Speaking as a fighter and speaking as a promoter, I feel that Margarito hasn’t earned it! I mean, I think Baldomir has earned the shot at Mayweather. I think he might be a couple fights ahead of Margarito to earning a shot at Mayweather.

Coyote Duran: Doesn’t it seem rather backwards that the champion (like Carlos Baldomir) has to chase contenders?

Oscar De La Hoya: Well, I mean, obviously, I think right now, Mayweather has so many choices. He has so many choices that he obviously wants to get the best fight for the most amount of dollars. That’s very understandable. In today’s world, you have so many fights out there where you can make so much money and, obviously, a fight with Mayweather and Baldomir is a very attractive fight for Mayweather. Mayweather’s big prize out there would be a fight with me, which, obviously, I’m not counting out. If you ask me if it’s gonna happen,…(chuckles) uh, you know, I’m very positive it will happen!

Coyote Duran: Now that helps lead to my next question, Oscar. Who do you see fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. first?: Shane Mosley at welterweight or, perhaps, you at a catchweight?

Oscar De La Hoya: Well, I’m sure that since I wanna leave the sport rather sooner than later, you know, a fight with me and Mayweather can be very possible and very soon. I think that a fight with me and Mayweather would be the biggest fight ever, including the heavyweight division. We’re just two fighters that bring a lot to the table and a lot of people will tune in and watch that.

Coyote Duran: In my estimation, a fight against Floyd Mayweather or a victory over Floyd Mayweather Jr. would not make you career complete, judging from your past accomplishments. To me, I guess it would merely ice the cake. Is this fight something you feel you need to complete your career with or if it happens, it happens?

Oscar De La Hoya: I think if it happens, it happens. Obviously, fighting Floyd is not gonna make or break my career. I hope I still have a place in The Hall Of Fame. I think it would be kind of like icing on the cake. It’s like putting the icing on, putting the candle on and blowing it out. It would be kind of like a perfect ending. But is it gonna make me or break me? I mean, financially? It’s not gonna do anything for me. If I beat him, obviously, it’s gonna make me a very happy camper. (Laughs)

Coyote Duran: With all the little stories and sub-conflicts behind this fight, it almost seems like a soap opera in boxing. If you were to, indeed, face Mayweather before retiring, who would you say the conflict actually involved more? You versus Floyd Jr. or Floyd Jr. versus his father (Oscar’s trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr.)? No matter what, it’s really gonna be your trainer versus his own son.

Oscar De La Hoya: Obviously, that’s a story in itself. You know, blood is thicker than water. If this fight does get made, we (Oscar and Floyd Sr.) would have to really analyze and discuss this whole situation because it would be very odd for me to be training with Floyd Sr. and he would be training me to beat up his son. I mean, what kind of father would he be or what kind of fighter would I be? I mean, it would just be very awkward. But, you know, things can be worked out. If that isn’t gonna get in the way of making this fight, I feel very confident that this fight will happen. But it can be a big distraction.

Coyote Duran: Do you believe that if the fight came off, Floyd Sr. would be hurt, to an extent?

Oscar De La Hoya: Absolutely. Floyd Sr. is such a great man. In the years that I’ve known him, I mean, he really is a good, good person inside! He really does have a great, great heart. You know, the stories that he’s been telling me about Floyd Jr. are not nice ones, not pleasant to hear. It’s like, you say to yourself after he tells you these stories, “What kind of son is he? How can a son do this to his father?” I mean, you can maybe justify if maybe Sr.. does train me to beat his son on the stories that he tells me about his son. It’s obviously, ultimately, up to the father and if he has no problem with it, then I have no problem with it.

Coyote Duran: In looking at your career, Oscar, let’s look at the big picture. Let’s not just concentrate on Floyd Mayweather or Antonio Margarito or whoever. Who would be your choice as the perfect opponent today that could close it all, ideally, for your career as a final fight?

Oscar De La Hoya: Um?……….Hmm…….As a final fight?……..I mean, truly, I think Floyd Mayweather couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. If you really think about it, he is the Pound-For-Pound champion of the world. He is undefeated. You know, he is the next, young superstar in boxing. That would be the ideal fight for me. That would the fight that really would satisfy me. Do I take it? Do I have to take it? NO, but as a fighter, it would really satisfy me just to be in there with one of the best out there in boxing.

Credit:Maxboxing.com

thanx great post